Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Thinking about upgrading my Arlo Pro cameras but have questions

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 1 Like
  • 2 In Conversation
dmiller40
Aspirant
Aspirant

1. I do not pay for a subscription, I have read I am grandfathered into the free 7 day cloud storage. Is this for the base station or is this for the cameras themselves? 

(1a) If it is the base station can I add Pro 3 cameras and have the 7 days free cloud storage

2. If I upgrade to Arlo Pro 3 or 4, and upgrade my base station will I be able to see my local files remotely, and would this work to allow me to not have to pay for a subscription?

3. I am basically trying to find out if it is feasible to continue using arlo products and not pay a subscription fee, as I would rather look for other solutions if I had to.

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@dmiller40 wrote:

1. I do not pay for a subscription, I have read I am grandfathered into the free 7 day cloud storage. Is this for the base station or is this for the cameras themselves? 

The cameras.  Note there is a limit of 5 unsubscribed cameras per account - if you have more than that, the free storage stops (until you reduce the number back down).

@dmiller40 wrote:

can I add Pro 3 cameras and have the 7 days free cloud storage

No.

@dmiller40 wrote:

2. If I upgrade to Arlo Pro 3 or 4, and upgrade my base station will I be able to see my local files remotely, and would this work to allow me to not have to pay for a subscription?

• The VMB4540 and VMB5000 do have a "direct access to local storage" feature.  While many do use that instead of a subscription, it has a lot of limitations, and IMO doesn't provide a very good user experience.
    Recordings are only available in the app (not the browser). 
  • Recordings are only available from the primary account (not friend accounts).
  • No ability to make manual recordings or take snapshots.
  • No thumbnails- videos need to be downloaded to the phone before you can view anything.
  • Remote access requires router setting changes that some find difficult (and which won't work with some internet service providers).