Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Dolce
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a savy teenage son that seems to have outsmarted my plans to monitor using cameras & the arlo phone app. How is he able to delete videos or switch settings without having my account email or password?? Is he accessing the cloud ? Is he adding the cameras setting up his own account with the phone app ? How is he controlling my account ?? Any ideas ?
6 REPLIES 6
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Change your password to something strong. Check Settings, Grant Access and see if he (or anyone else) is listed. Delete as needed. Make sure you have notifications turned on so you can tell if a video has been created.  Have you seen any videos in the library?  There are occasional issues with certain folks not seeing videos in the library - try power cycling the base, log out and back into the app and/or browser and try using the app/browser if you are only using one.

Dolce
Aspirant
Aspirant
Those are all things I continue to monitor. I cannot figure it out. Could he try to set up his own account & use the same cameras (adding devices) ??
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Dolce wrote:
Those are all things I continue to monitor. I cannot figure it out. Could he try to set up his own account & use the same cameras (adding devices) ??

No, that is not possible.. the base is locked to your account, the cameras would have to acually deleted from your system

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
What makes you think that your son is actually manipulating things?
BeTactical
Guide
Guide
Has he ever gotten hold of one of the approved mobile devices with admin access? Approved users are semi hidden but they are there, if he added himself that's a possibility.

Also, on Apple products if he's on a family share account there's a slight chance he could access something that way.

Finally, the web interface at arlo.netgear.com may have a saved PW and he could edit settings from there as well.

All that said, I'm with the other commenter, what evidence do you have that he's doing anything at all? Are there any other authorized users?

-Garrett
lostchild
Apprentice
Apprentice

If you are just missing videos, all he has to do is unplug the base station and nothing will be recorded to the base station USB drive or the cloud.  So unless you are watching live feed 24/7, you won't even know it is missing.   I don't think Arlo gives you any notification when your unit has no power.  Lets say you grounded your son and want to use the camera notification to tell you if he ever leaves the house.  All he has to do is unplug the base station, leave the house, come back, plug it back in.  Your router may have a connectivitiy log on devices connected to it.. you could check that.