Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Streaming camera video

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Gryphon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am still in research mode. I am considering a 3 camera package, but it is unclear if streaming from each camera is a constant process all the time or only when an event triggers the need?  I want 2 cameras focused on front and rear entry points and 1 inside, but will the streaming feed be constant or only on demand?  It is also very unclear as to what the data rates for streaming are. I am not on an unlimited wireless data plans, so the impact on my usage is a concern.  If Netflicks a couple of hours every 3-4 days consumes 65% of my 300GB of data during the month, what can I expect with this system. I am just trying to understand all of the cost that is associated with wireless security systems with phone aps. Somehow the costs associated with data consumption impacting the internet provider and the phone are too conveniently ignored.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gryphon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the insight - precisely the info I was looking for.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Normally, the cameras will stream only when motion/audio activated. However, adding continuous AC power opens the door to CVR which streams the whole time. It's an extra cost option.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

These cameras are of a type " detect motion then record "  as most run on batteries which have a finite usage life.

They do not stream 24/7  ( with the exception of the Pro cameras on ac power and the Q cameras on CVR option, added expense )

Data usage for the Pro cameras is about 1MB per 10 seconds... so you can do the math.

Keep in mind that data will count as it records AND also as you play back to your phone

Honestly, if you have 300GB , the record on motion will usu use very little compared to Netflick. I usu get about 10 - 10sec recordings per day from 15 cameras and it amounts to aprox 10MB per day... and that is the high end.

I only view them if needed.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If your rule is set up to use motion, the cameras will record when motion is detected. Anywhere from 10 seconds to 120 second video lengths.

You can do on demand live viewing of your camera but only for 30 minutes at a time. It will time out after 30 minutes.

With the Arlo Pro 2 (and a few other models), and a power cord, and a CVR plan you can live stream and record 24/7 (for an extra cost per camera)

https://www.arlo.com/au/products/subscription-plans.aspx

As for data consumption........ that will depend on how much you use live view, how many videos you record, how much you watch recorded videos, how often you use wifi instead of cellular data, and do you primarily use your computer or phone for Arlo. Myself, I NEVER connect my phone to any wifi, I just use cellular data, I primarily use the Arlo app on my phone, and I have used anywhere from 2 GB to 7GB more data per month with what I consider avarage to above average use of the system.

Gryphon38
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks for the insight - precisely the info I was looking for.