Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Stopped Recording

Discussion stats
  • 10 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Nasty9999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a camera two weeks ago, I'm happy with the camera but this is the second time the camera has failed to detect motion or record. I have a subscription, all is fine for a week and then it just decides to stop functioning.

I'm able to livestream no problem, the wifi strength isn't an issue as I've got full strength where it is. Subscription is still active.

Last week I had to reset the camera and sync it again and then it was fine. I'm now going to have to do this again. Any idea why this could be happening as I'm starting to lose my sh*t?

Cheers,

Luke

10 REPLIES 10
Dannybear
Master
Master
Is the camera connected directly to the local wifi or is it connected via a arlo hub or base station?
If via a base then try power cycling the base when it occurs again.
If via the local wifi, try using the motion test utility in the camera settings to see if the motion sensor is still working and if ok check the mode of operation is correct and not set to disabled.
Nasty9999
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's connected directly to the local wifi.

The camera detects movement as I can see the amber LED light up but I don't get a notification or a recording. It's like it's just forgotten what it needs to do when movement is detected.

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

Check to see if it wants your money. 

Nasty9999
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm on a free trial till July so I'd sure hope not.

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

I bought the first Arlo Pros for my parents. It was on my Dad's account and we had free cloud for the three cameras. Well, not free, it was included with the price of the cameras. My dad passed away, we lost his email account and could no longer sign in to fix the cameras, so I created a new account for my Mom for these old camera. Now it wants money and refuses to function without a subscription. 
I feel cheated. We paid for the cameras with the promise of cloud access and now that promise is broken because my father died and we lost his email. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
@Nasty9999

FYI. The motion detection utility will not send notifications or record, it just flashes the LED on the camera. It’s purpose is to prove that the infrared motion sensor is functional.

The notifications and recordings are set by the operating mode that is active that contains the camera rule for what you want to happen when the camera detects motion. E.g record, push notifications, email notifications and siren operation. Please read the manual to troubleshoot.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro-4/bd-p/en-arlo-pro-4

@BigBrother,

What was the reason arlo gave for not transferring the account?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BigBrother wrote:

My dad passed away, we lost his email account and could no longer sign in to fix the cameras, so I created a new account for my Mom for these old camera. Now it wants money and refuses to function without a subscription. 

The Pros still do offer free 7-day cloud storage.

Were you able to on-board them to the new account?  Or did that fail?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Nasty9999 wrote:

The camera detects movement as I can see the amber LED light up but I don't get a notification or a recording. It's like it's just forgotten what it needs to do when movement is detected.

Did you try disarming and then rearming the camera (using the "mode" section of the app)?

BigBrother
Apprentice
Apprentice

All I know is that the cameras stopped recording as they used to. My mom didn't know what was happening and why they cameras no longer did what was promised when I bought them. Then she was confronted with a demand for a subscription to make the cameras work again, like a kidnapper's ransom note. Here's what I see on their website about available plans. 
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@BigBrother wrote:

Then she was confronted with a demand for a subscription to make the cameras work again, like a kidnapper's ransom note.

Sounds like she might have googled for support, and reached a scam support site.  https://kb.arlo.com/000062119/How-can-I-avoid-Arlo-support-scams

@BigBrother wrote:

Here's what I see on their website about available plans. 
https://www.arlo.com/en-us/arlosecure.html

New cameras do require a subscription to get cloud storage, and this link is focused on those.  The older cameras (including the Pro and Pro 2) come with 7-day free cloud storage.

Per https://kb.arlo.com/000062312/What-options-will-I-have-when-the-Arlo-trial-ends 

If you have an Arlo Wire-Free (VMC3030), Pro (VMC4030), Pro 2 (VMC4030P), Go (VML4030), Q (VMC3040), Q Plus (VMC3040S), or Baby (ABC1000) camera, you will continue to have all the benefits that were included with the purchase of your camera. This includes free rolling 7-day cloud recording, live streaming, 2-way audio, local storage, and activity zones on up to 5 cameras.