Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 22 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 11 In Conversation
Acallahan
Follower
Follower
Has anyone had an outside camera stolen? Nervous that someone will see it and steal it.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

A few here have have cameras stolen....

Best is to position out of easy reach OR you can use a screw in type camera mount ( can make it much harder to remove )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Best is to position out of easy reach OR you can use a screw in type camera mount ( can make it much harder to remove )

Morse is faster than texting!
Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

TomMac wrote:

Have three of my cameras on magnetic mounts, all reasonable well within reach (at about 8 feet). No problems in over 1.5 years. I guess it depends on the neighbourhood you're in.

Paul

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, same here.  And I have 2 crazies next door...

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Realistically, anyone wanting to steal your camera will do it regardless of type of mount or its location. However the fact that camera is recording and sending it somewhere should be enough a deterrent. Yes they can cover their faces with a hood or something, but may be a little too far fetched unless you're dealing with professionals who I doubt would be out there stealing cameras for fun.

Paul

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I went with the screw-on type mounts simply for the added security. With being mounted above 8 feet it would be difficult to steal them without a ladder. With a magnetic mount anyone with a stick can easy knock them down.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Dunno about easily since they're strong magnets but definitely possible.
dhoctran
Tutor
Tutor
Drake3287, Do you have pictures of your mount and where can we buy it?
steve_t
Master Master
Master
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

It's the standard Arlo "Outdoor Security Mount" they sell for $19.99. The kits only come with the magnetic ones. If you look under accessories on the Arlo site you'll see them. Best Buy and Staples also carries them.

nholma01
Initiate
Initiate

Yes 

I have had 4 stolen and to add insult to injury, the cameras lost their connection so I have nothing on camera.  I had 15 cameras in total and now they are proving to be inadequate, and not reliable.   I have paid an annual elite programe and now need to look to alternatives.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Of your stolen camera's, did they have the screw-in type mounts or the magnetic ones that came with the system? Also how high did you have them mounted? 

For me, I live on a typical residental street and I figured anyone willing to break into my car or house would think nothing of knocking these camera's off a magnetic mount even at 8 feet off the ground. A good wack with a stick or broom handle would do the trick. I went with the $19.95 screw-on mounts simply because it would take a lot more time to steal or knock down these camera's. Time most bad guys won't spend doing on a residental street.

Paul_FCCL
Prodigy
Prodigy

Tough neighbourhood.......after getting 4 cameras stolen, I would lock the others up inside steel cages before losing any more.

Paul

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes I had two of my arlo pro stolen. They are up running. They are linked to two bases but the thiefb has control over them. So anyone can steal, use, abd get way with it

steve_t
Master Master
Master

If you know this, can't you call the cops? PS. How do you know this?

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have called the cops. I know one of the camera is up and runnig because I can see it on my system but I cannot access it. That is why I know one of my neighbors has the camera
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Cool. Hope the cops nail the thief!!

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I may be missing something or have incomplete info but I don't think a camera can be linked to two bases at one time.  The fact that you can see video from it implies that it's within range of your base which would lead me to believe that it has to be next door (or in the bushes).  As long as you don't remove the camera from your base you should have complete control over it so it can't be used by someone else.  @JamesC, can you verify my assumptions?

BB2017
Aspirant
Aspirant
Well I can see the camera with the last image it capture on my system. The arm of the theif. However I cannot access the camera. The WiFi shows excellet connection, full battery. Yes, it is around here, but where?? It is apto complex. I have a few neighbors close to me.
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

Just wondering how your camera was secured/mounted? Magnetic mount or screw on type mount and how high did you have it mounted?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jguerdat,

This is true, a camera cannot be simultaneously synced and available to more than one base station.

So if BB2017 can still stream the camera (camera does not show offline), that would indicate that it is nearby or at least close enough to maintain connection with the base station. It sounds like from the description, that the camera isn't accessible (possibly a cached image showing the battery life/WiFi strength). If you clear your browser cache and sign back in to your Arlo account, does the camera show offline?

The best course of action whenever you believe theft is involved is to inform the police and file a report.

JamesC

Maz4
Guide
Guide
Wanted to know if arlo offers reimbursement for theft of a camera. I know One of the competitors of Arlo offer free life time replacement if something happens to the camera and will give you a free camera if someone steals yours providing you have a police report.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I know of no public statement from Netgear to this effect.