Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
mk78
Guide
Guide

Was having issues with my 2 arlo pro cameras being offline. Noticed the base station was offline in the app even though all three lights on the front of the station were green. After many unplug/plug in attempt I did the suggested reset. After doing the reset the homebase left light is green but the middle and right lights are amber. While sitting in front of the homebase I opened the app and tried to "find" the homebase. My phone was literally 3 inches away from the base but yet the app could not "find" the base. I tried this four times. What should I try next? I've been troubleshooting for close to 3 hours now.   

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mk78
Guide
Guide

I finally got it working without any help arlo support. Disappointing service.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mk78
Guide
Guide

I finally got it working without any help arlo support. Disappointing service.  

mk78
Guide
Guide

FYI, the "disappointing service" comment is not from this community message posting...I posted it in the middle of the night less than an hour ago. The comment is based on all my attempts to contact service earlier in the night through the app. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
If all three lights were green then the base station it was likely working.
The loss of camera connection along with the base station from the app was likely between arlo server and the base station.
A power cycle of the base station may have resolved this, I usually just wait awhile for the arlo server to reconnect then log back in on the app and it just reconnects ok again.
The current LED status you described suggests that you have normal status for an unclaimed base with no cameras attached.
The arlo app uses your local wifi to communicate to the arlo servers via internet, so placing it close to the base station will not make it work any better.
If you had removed all arlo cameras and base station from your account before you performed the factory reset of the base station then you should be able to install the base station back into the account. Some recommend using the pc web browser to access the arlo web portal for install as it usually connects to the home network.
For your current situation I would recommend to
1. Remove all your arlo devices from your arlo account.
2. Use a pc web browser to access the arlo web portal ensuring it is connected to your local network.
3. Install the base station again.
4. Relocate your arlo cameras near to the base station, remove batteries and plug them individually into the arlo charger as you resync them to the base station.
Good luck.

Edit:
Please ignore the above as it has been resolved.
mk78
Guide
Guide

It was frustrating because I tried the things you mentioned. 

If all three lights were green then the base station it was likely working. Yep, all three lights were green but app showed offline and after removing the device I couldn't reconnect it to the app because the app couldn't find it. 
The loss of camera connection along with the base station from the app was likely between arlo server and the base station. Good to know. Being that the light on the base station was green I feel the cameras didn't lose connect to the base station, but the app lost connection to the station so therefore I couldn't connect to the cameras either. 
A power cycle of the base station may have resolved this, I usually just wait awhile for the arlo server to reconnect then log back in on the app and it just reconnects ok again. Tried that a couple times. Had the power off/unplugged for 1/2 hour at one point before trying the reset. I tried just about everything in the few hours I worked on this tonight.
The current LED status you described suggests that you have normal status for an unclaimed base with no cameras attached. Both cameras were attached until the reset. But again, I think I couldn't access them because the app wasn't communicating with the base.  
The arlo app uses your local wifi to communicate to the arlo servers via internet, so placing it close to the base station will not make it work any better. My wifi router is sitting next to the base station, so all three were right next to each other. A few months ago when I was able to call arlo support (now I need a subscription or something) the lady told me I needed to be in the same room because walls would cause a weak signal, so I got as close as possible this time. 
If you had removed all arlo cameras and base station from your account before you performed the factory reset of the base station then you should be able to install the base station back into the account. After removing the base station the cameras disappeared (I knew they would). I did the reset after I couldn't reconnect. I'm sorry if I forgot to mention that in my first post. 

Some recommend using the pc web browser to access the arlo web portal for install as it usually connects to the home network. I didn't bother to mention in my first post but I tried my iphone with the app first but then also tried the web browser on my chromebook. Neither worked. But, I finally got it working using the phone app so all good for now. 

Thank you for your post with the troubleshooting suggestions! Even though mine is working now hopefully others will be able to use them!

Dannybear
Master
Master
Glad you resolved it although how is a mystery.
The arlo app connects to the arlo server via the internet and the server connects to your base station and cameras so when your base station is unable to be connected the app will not tell you until you try to access it.
If the issue is at your end it would likely be the isp equipment. If the issue is with the arlo servers then you have to report it to get it fixed. In the meantime it resolves itself and starts working again.
mk78
Guide
Guide

Glad you resolved it although how is a mystery. Yes, a bit of a mystery because I repeated the same process that didn't work earlier (I apologize I forgot to post my final fix). After unplugging the base station and plugging it in again then the middle light turned green. I had tried the same thing a number of times before and after the reset but the middle light stayed amber (after the reset) until my last attempt. I don't know why it worked the last time and not the previous times I had tried the same thing. Once the middle light came on as green I opened the app again and it "found" the device almost immediately. Once the station was added I was able to add and name the cameras as well. 

I should mention for anyone reading...even though I disconnected/reset everything all videos in my library remained. So no, doing a reset will not erase your library if anyone is concerned about that. 

Dannybear
Master
Master
There’s three resets you can perform on the base station.

1. A software reset via the app under the base station settings page. This can be done remotely as long as the base is connected to the arlo servers and hence the app. This can be used to reconnect offline cameras but usually doesn’t resolve it very often.

2. The power to the base station can be cycled. This is a power reset and needs local access. Ideally remove the plug pack from wall socket for a few minutes then replug. This will usually fix a locked up base station when the base is showing offline. Some like me use a smart plug pack to enable a power cycle remotely.

3. Factory reset can be performed but only recommended as a last resort, although the documentation says that it automatically removes the devices from your account this is not the case from experience. You need to manually remove the devices individually yourself before hand else the base station is locked out for security. Since you remove the devices from your account. When you reinstall them you will need to setup your modes, rules and schedule again which is usually time consuming. I have not needed to perform this type of reset very often myself only when we got those buggy firmware updates a few years ago.