Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel charger gets an electrical smell a few minutes later when hooked up

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
Fireguy1451
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just mounted the solar panel charger and hooked to my camera. with in a few minutes I started to get a electrical smell and got concerned. I quickly unhooked the charger and removed the battery. is this smell something normal and will go away? Am I doing something wrong? Do I remove the batter from the camera and the charger have buil

3 REPLIES 3
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Fireguy1451 wrote:

I just mounted the solar panel charger and hooked to my camera. with in a few minutes I started to get a electrical smell and got concerned. I quickly unhooked the charger and removed the battery. is this smell something normal and will go away? 

It seems unlikely to be the charger itself.  It produces very little power.

Do you get the same smell with just the camera (battery inserted)?  If not, do you get it when you use the normal AC power adapter?

Fireguy1451
Aspirant
Aspirant

so after some research I some how missed install a full battery first so I did that and reconnected and no smell, must have been a big draw charging as the previous battery was almost dead. been 2 days now and its been overcast but the battery staying full.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Wouldn'ta thunk it would be a high current draw since the panel can't supply much current. ANythinng is possible, though, so it's good that things are working for you.