Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Spyder76
Follower
Follower

Has anybody purchased a 6w-5v USB solar panel for their Arlo Pro camera's yet.  This item for~$20, other that not being outdoor ready really looks like it would be an inexpensive option for continuous charging.

63 REPLIES 63
R24cloud
Aspirant
Aspirant
JamesC - nearly a month on, any update on the solar panel?
Surely someone knows the date?!
oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The recent and only update for the availability timing for the Arlo Pro charging station was postmortem after the product hits the shelves which is really an notification and not a update. No prior updates were ever provided.  This may be true again but it sure would be nice if an update is provided prior to the solar panel being available. 

ElonMusk
Aspirant
Aspirant

Spyder76 wrote:

Has anybody purchased a 6w-5v USB solar panel for their Arlo Pro camera's yet.  This item for~$20, other that not being outdoor ready really looks like it would be an inexpensive option for continuous charging.

Looks like the solar panel is finally listed in the Arlo products section as coming soon (Model VMA4600) https://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/solar-panel.aspx#VMA4600

ArloSite.JPG

VMA4600_lifestyle_1.jpg

VMA4600_3-4Rt2_Transparent.png

VMA4600_onWall_Hero_Transparent.png

VMA4600_onWall_Side_Transparent.png

VMA4600_Back_Transparent.png

leaf001
Tutor
Tutor

$70 bucks?

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The website for the Arlo solar panel it will be available soon.  If the availability of the Arlo solar panel is anything like the history of the Arlo charging station then the terms "coming soon" and "available are relative to the eyes of the beholder.  As a result the Arlo solar panel may well still be vaporware for quite some time.  This would be a shame since for years there are already millions of other proven engineered solar panel chargers on our planet.

TechyFred
Guide
Guide

Given the last exerience, it will be "coming soon" for at least a year and then when we try to finally order it, there will be a backorder.

So this could take 1-1.5 years!

mroj2162
Aspirant
Aspirant
And now we are in the middle of the year and still no solar panel not early 2017
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

It sounds like a broken record to me to but last week they came out with a July release date to venders. Time will tell.........

GearMI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Could you use this solar panel for the  Arlo Pro Camera xVMC4030?

6v  3.5w solor panel USB travel battery charger for cell phones

https://www.ebay.com/i/371363138869?chn=ps&dispItem=1

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The solar panel you indicated will not work since it only puts out 6 volts and the Arlo Pro batteries are rated at 7.2 volts output.  It takes a higher voltage than the battery output to reverse the battery chemical change during discharge.  This is why a 12 volt car battery charges at about 13-14 volts.  You will need a solar panel that puts out 8 to 9 volts with a small amount of current to be able to trickle charge the Arlo Pro battery on the average of about about 8 hours per day to account for a few stormy days in a row.  Most 9 volt solar panels of about 1/2 to 1-1/2 square foot in size should supply about a useable current level for a trickle charge.

GearMI
Aspirant
Aspirant

Will the Ring  solar panel work with the Arlo.  It seems like it has the same specs and less expensive.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ring-solar-panel-black/5143600.p?skuId=5143600

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Hmmm.... using a 6 volt solar panel charging a 7.2 volt battery has me curious why so low a charging voltage.  Maybe someone here can explain why this works.  Both the Ring solar panel and the Arlo solar panel have the same specs so either should work as long as the USB connection on the cable of the Ring solar panel is correct.  You need an mini USB connection for the Arlo Pro cameras  The Arlo solar panel mount appears to be of better construction than the Ring solar panel mount in the photos I looked at.  Try the Ring solar panel out and report back your findings.  

Techlore
Apprentice
Apprentice

For those googling and wondering what is up.

The Solar Panel was released you can order it on Amazon.

Arlo Solar Panel - Designed for Arlo Pro & Arlo Go Wire-free Cameras (VMA4600)

There is also an outdoor wired solution available for those who might be interested.

Matchpoint
Apprentice
Apprentice

I know Arlo does not recommend using alternative products but Arlo's Solar Panel charger cost $70 ??? give me a break!!!

Does anybody have any recommendation for a more affordable substitute? I am going to need 3 of them, thanks for your help.