Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Spyder76
Follower
Follower

Has anybody purchased a 6w-5v USB solar panel for their Arlo Pro camera's yet.  This item for~$20, other that not being outdoor ready really looks like it would be an inexpensive option for continuous charging.

63 REPLIES 63
TandLelectronic
Star
Star

regular battery started at 100

TandLelectronic wrote:

Update

battery level is now 28percent where it started at 35.  My regular batter is now down to 30. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

My battery level indicator on the arlo (powered by the adapter) always shows 36%.

I have no battery in it so I'm not sure you can go by the indicator.

If you have a solar panel attached, then I have no idea how that affects the level.

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

Update:  My Arlo Pro Camera does not recognize the solar panel.  It does however, recognize when I plug it into ac with the micro usb plug.  

My regular arlo camera is working but I need to do a little more research before i cut into the camera.

Stahli
Aspirant
Aspirant

when will the netgear arlo pro solar panel be available in europe?

Stahli
Aspirant
Aspirant

did your camera work with this 6W 5V USB Solar Panel?

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Arlo Pro battery puts out 7.2 volts so I suggest trying a 9 volt solar panel to trickle charge the Arlo Pro battery keeping it fully charge while the camera is active.  Micro USB connectors are available to put onto the end of the cable coming from the solar panel so it will plug into the charging port on the Arlo Pro.  Use silicone sealant to waterproof the charging port area with the cable attached.  I am not sure of the wattage required from the solar panel to provide enough charge during the day for 24 hours of operation but 3-4 watts may be all that is needed.  If a large enough solar panel is not available then two solar panels can be used in parallel to double the charging wattage.  Of course this voids your warranty.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

And of course Arlo say's the new "Arlo" solar panel will be available in March. I guess they have 4 days before we can complain about that too.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I would not hold my breath waiting.  Netgear seems to constantly improving their products but not as fast as the customer is desiring the improvements.  The Arlo Pro charging station availability is disappointing.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I'm guessing the solar panel is going the same route. 

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I rather see Netgear wait a little longer to bring out the solar charging panel that to repeat what they did with the charging station of being release without being available.  Most homeowners are not fond having to get the ladder out every day for four days(if they own the four camera system) until the batteries are replaced with charged batteries.  The homeowner rather get the ladder out once and be done with the task.  Therefore the charging station was an great idea.  The combination extra Arlo Pro battery and charger was also a little bit of an head scratcher idea as you cannot charge extra batteries without the charging station which comes with its own charger.  Say you actually was able to get a charging station and wanted to always have an extra battery for each camera so you can do a total swap out when the camera batteries are low and then at your leisure charge the batteries you just took out.   Well, if you the four camera system then you would have five extra chargers not needed since you purchased one with each the four spare batteries and one came with the system.  The charger that came with the charging station would be the only one you would ever use.  The batteries and the chargers should have been sold separately.

I still like Netgear products desipte some short comings.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I think the problem for me is that NetGear, like so many other companies come out with these products with the advertisement that certain accessories are following, along with release dates but they never come true. I gurarantee you that someone at NetGear know's the exact status of these solar panel's (and charging stations) but instead of giving an honest update just give out a random roll-out date.

I know the poor NetGear reps on this forum are only reporting what their told but someone above them needs to be a little more honest and open about the products. Although the solar panel's are scheduled for a March release date, I'll bet anyone one of you that it'll be well into summer before we see anything available.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I will not bet against you.

"Although the solar panel's are scheduled for a March release date, I'll bet anyone one of you that it'll be well into summer before we see anything available."

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Do any of you have these cameras installed in an area close enough to an AC outlet either in an attic area or one that can be installed near a soffit?

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Only one of my cameras is near an soffit and there is not an outlet nearby.  The outlet is probaby 30ft away.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I have 1 camera plugged into A/C power using a long microUSB cable I purchased off Amazon. I ran it though a vent hole into my garage. My other 2 camera's are running off battery power and are mounted near my front porch. For these I simply purchased 2 short mircoUSB cable's and plugged them into the camera power input, the rest of the unused cord is coiled up and hidden behind the camera.

When it's time to recharge these two I simply pull out the hidden cords and run them to an extension cord to my front porch light socket. Pretty easy but I would much rather have the solar panel.

SilverSentinel
Star
Star
So here we are. Almost April and still no solar panel. What a huge surprise. Netgear lies yet again. What's next? The Arlo Super Pro that uses solar panels? That's my bet.
oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

Arlo Super Pro....LOL....good name and you should be honored if they use it. With the number of Arlo cameras available now Netgear will probably soon start ending production of the older ones as their sales drop off.  The newer Arlo Pro and Arlo Q Plus offers all of the features of the Arlo and the Arlo Q Plus while adding additional features 

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary
I noticed the other day at our Costco that the original Arlo cameras they sell don't even sell much anymore.
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

The reason I ask how many of you have these connected to AC power is because from what I am seeing, many of the issues people are having seem to be battery related.

Since I am totally wired for power I have not had one issue with my Arlo. The Pro will stop working at sub zero temperatures which has nothing to do with the battery being in or out, but I have never had to reset either camera for close to 2 years now.

I guess my point is that even though these cameras are designed to be run by battery, I myself would find any way I could to power them by AC. Even if that meant spending some time and money ro run new wire and outlets.

It seems like the hassle of installing the solar panel, dealing with weather, snow hitting it and mounting it in a way where it wouldn't be sticking out looking like an eyesore would outweigh the option of direct AC unless there was no other choice.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

The problem is, these camera's are marketed and advertised as battery operated camera's with a LONG battery life. For most of us this simply has'nt panned out although I'm generally happy with my camera system, the batteries don't last like they said. Running power cords to these camera's defeats the purpose of buying them in the first place. 

As for a solar panel, for many like myself these would be a great addition and they are so small that they would be easily hidden. Although I don't have snow issues, I'm guessing most people that live in snow regions don't buy these camera's simpy because of the advertised operating temperture of the system. 

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I'm probably in the minority here then because I bought the system based on the fact that I could run it 24/7 by AC power.

The main reason I got the system was because of the 7 day free cloud and the software for viewing.

That is the only way I would recomend this sytem to anyone. The battery in my opinion is way too much of a hassle.

I live in upstate NY and the temperatures have only been a problem when it hit 4 below, and that was only for about 3 hours.

Everyone seems to be looking at this solar panel being the solution for the battery problem but it may end up just being another problem. Time will tell.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

And I have to disagree about running power cords to these as defeating the purpose of them.

To me it actually enhances them if you are able to do so with minimal effort.

I bought them because of the cloud software. I also got them for the support. And by support, I don't mean Netgear support, I mean the support on this forum which I find to be second to none and in most cases better than Netgear.

Between the top forum members on here, I can get 99% of any issue I have answered within a few hours.

I think that if people are willing to make modifications to their system (yes I know they shouldn't have to) then I think these cameras can work out very nicely for most situations.

Now, if Netgear came out with a larger, more powerful battery pack say two or even 3 times the size just for outdoor applications, that could be mounted close to the camera and simply plugged in. Then it would make changing out easier and last much longer without the need for another add on solar panel.

joel_08
Aspirant
Aspirant

Early 2017 is Q1?? Q2? or later??? im waiting the solar panel charger for Arlo Pro for this months...... In the accesory section i didnt found the cooming soon of the solar charger.....

yasserabdalla
Tutor
Tutor

What is the new date for the Solar Panel for the Arlo Pro Camera past the early 2017 set date ? thank you

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

I have requested an update on when the Arlo Solar Panel will be available. I will post again when I have more information.

JamesC