Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Spyder76
Follower
Follower

Has anybody purchased a 6w-5v USB solar panel for their Arlo Pro camera's yet.  This item for~$20, other that not being outdoor ready really looks like it would be an inexpensive option for continuous charging.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR does not advise the use of third party accessories (like the one mentioned above) with your Arlo Pro system as they are not designed specifically with Arlo in mind.

The NETGEAR solar panel should be available early 2017. For more information, see here: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

Update: The Arlo Solar Panel is now available, for more information, see here: Arlo Solar Panel (VMA4600)

JamesC

View solution in original post

63 REPLIES 63
Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

Deleted.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
Got a link? I don't believe their official solar panel has been released.
Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

He's just sharing a look-a-like model for a cell phone. Arlo say's it's panel will be out in the next couple of months. What's interesting is this solar panel is $20. and the Arlo one is going to be something like $50. Big difference for basically the same thing.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Well, who's going to be the guinea pig? 

Can say from my experience with solar panels, they easily put out a higher voltage than spec'ed esp with a low load...

In almost all my cases required some form of controller to prevent damage to batteries.

( not knowing how the Netgear unit is designed )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

It's a shame netgear ended their product test and review program. I would have loved to test their solar panels for them!

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

NETGEAR does not advise the use of third party accessories (like the one mentioned above) with your Arlo Pro system as they are not designed specifically with Arlo in mind.

The NETGEAR solar panel should be available early 2017. For more information, see here: How can I use the Arlo Solar Panel?

Update: The Arlo Solar Panel is now available, for more information, see here: Arlo Solar Panel (VMA4600)

JamesC

Arlo-Man
Luminary
Luminary

AKA: Netgear does not advise paying less for the same product from another company.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Of course, you/I have no idea if the products are comparable.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would just wait and see what they release. If their similar in power spec's, give it a shot if you're willing to ruin your camera. But it might not ruin it and it might work. I would just wait to see what they release and see the specs of it.

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

I just got my solar panel from Walmart.com.  It is made by Moultrie. I also got a USB female to 5.5 female cable off of amazon. 

The solar panel is 3.75 square and put out 6v.  I hook it up to my meter and it showed a peek of 9v when held directly infront of a incandescent 40 watt clear round vanity bulb.  At night it put out 1v.  During the daylight hours it showed 7v. In the end the solar panel volt is determine by the intensity of the light source.

This I believe this setup will work perfectly with the pro, but now I am trying to make it work with the regular camera.  I will report back as soon as I get it all setup.

Wizliz
Tutor
Tutor

Hi, very interesting project!

I have four Arlo cameras that i use with rechargable CR123 batterys at 2300mAh/each. However I am getting a little fed up with climbing the ladder to change batteries every two weeks in winter time... So i would love to be able to connect solar panels to them even if it means that i have to drill a hole in the outer case and then solder on some sort of connector.

Looking forward to your next post. Smiley Happy

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

The rest of my parts should be in today!  At this time the batteries that came with my camera is down to 17% the camera was installed two week ago in the frigid climate of Ohio over the past weeks. 

Question...Has anybody had experience with the arlo skins?  I am trying to figure out how to mod the camera so that it is still somewhat water resistance.  Plan is to run the cable through the skin and not have to mod the camera by drilling a hole....thinking that the skin can hold the battery door close....any ideas.

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

Project working as plan.  I will post result as the days move on to weeks and months hopefully.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
So the panels work well??
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

This has been discussed at length.

I have run mine for over a year with alligator clips and no problems

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Easy-to-take-camera-apart-and-solder-leads-to-power-camera-usi...

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

DaveWoj wrote:

This has been discussed at length.

I have run mine for over a year with alligator clips and no problems

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo/Easy-to-take-camera-apart-and-solder-leads-to-power-camera-usi...

Question....are you using solar power?  If so, how is the energy stored for night use?  But if you are using a power suppy I understand.

UPDATE...We had a cold spell again with some sunny days and the rechargeable are holding steady.  I still haven't drill a hole in the camera.  I need to do more research on where to place my leads....front two slots or back two slots since it is a snug fit when all four battery are installed.  As I need batteries to carry the camera through the night and prolong cloudy days.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
No solar panel just ac power. I don't believe it's possible to run the original arlo off solar.
TandLelectronic
Star
Star

Thanks for the clarification of whether your setup was solar or not.  I am currently using my Arlo camera with a solar panel.  I also have a Arlo Pro that I am going to do the same.  The Pro has a micro usb port for charging that I can connect my solar panel too.  Also, are you using a 6V or 12v power supply to power your camera? 

By the way your female plug extending from your camera is what I am using to connect to the solar panel that I got from walmart.com.  It is a 6v Deluxe solar panel made by Moultrie that extends battery life of feeders.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I am using a 6V 2 amp power supply.

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

Sorry to keep asking question but do you have the main supply hook to the front two meaning the battery is closer to the lens or the back springs.  And what about the night vision and battery indicator?

I saw the drawing with a jumper connecting the front to the back.  If that is so, I can use two of my rechargeable in the camera with the solar panel..yea!

Just about time to drill the hole for the lead!  I will post picture as soon as I can figure out how to download them from my phone to the community.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I honestly don't remember which ones I have them connected to. I think the lens since it gave me more space for the wire.
I think as long as the are connected to either positive and negative it will work.
lkruper
Aspirant
Aspirant

I would like to deploy cameras outside with a power cord.   I read that the powered option is indoor only.    I do not understand this, considering they are coming out with a solar option.   Does the power cable expose the internals to moisture if used?    I have not purchased yet, but Arlo Pro looks to have the best features/price available now on the market.

Drake3287
Luminary
Luminary

I have one of my camera's powered by a power source. I simply purchased a 15 foot microUSB cable off Amazon and ran it into my garage through a vent hole above the garage door. Although the camera itself is under the eve of the house and get's very little rain, I simply used a little silicone caulking around the power connection area to keep it dry. The silicone is also easy to remove if and when it's needed.

This one camera of mine is the most active because it's pointed onto my driveway/front lawn area and get's lot's of activations. My other battery powered camera's get very few so the battery should last quite awhile.

TandLelectronic
Star
Star

Update

battery level is now 28percent where it started at 35.  My regular batter is now down to 30.