Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Solar Panel Charging Issue

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Razorx92
Aspirant
Aspirant
Just bought the new Solar Panel (VMA4600-10000S) for the Arlo Pro Camera (VMC4030-100NAS) and have been experiencing ALOT of charging problems.

During the first 14 hours, everything seemed fine. The sun was high in the sky, outside temperature was about 40°F and the Arlo Pro was accepting the solar panels charge.

Then when I woke up the next morning I found that the Arlo Pro has paused charging due to the battery being too cold. This is a huge concern considering the outdoor temperature overnight was only 25°F and it gets much colder over here.

After calling a netgear customer service rep, they told me that this is normal. Although it doesn’t seem very normal. I continued using the solar panel and camera throughout the day yesterday and saw that the camera stayed cool (40°F again) and did not pause during charging. And the weather was mostly overcast. When I woke up this morning, I found that the Arlo Pro was charged to 94% and charging was paused yet again as a result of battery temp being too low.

My question is simple, How can I override or get rid of these charging pauses as a result of temperature?

UPDATE:
After checking the camera out, I discovered that the Arlo Camera is not in the slightest bit warm to the touch. I unplugged the solar panel and the camera is not on battery power and is not display any trouble codes.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Li-ion batteries should not be charged when below freezing. That's a blanket statement. That's why the camera prevents charging when too cold. It's normal and expected.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Li-ion batteries should not be charged when below freezing. That's a blanket statement. That's why the camera prevents charging when too cold. It's normal and expected.

Razorx92
Aspirant
Aspirant
Oh, that makes perfect sense. Since summer is right around the corner, and we have some hot and humid weather in Ohio, are there any actions that I should take to prevent damage from overheating or will the solar panel and Arlo Pro automatically detect those temperatures and disable charging until it’s cooler also?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I've had no issues with summertime heat but I'm not in the hottest area. The camera will shut itself down if it gets too hot (direct sunlight) but the solar panel should be fine.