Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
jspicoli
Follower
Follower

I searched but only found information posted back in October about this feature coming.

Do we have an update on when the Smart Motion Recognition will be available? Our dog goes out several times a day. It would be nice to ignore the dog but pick up everything else.

Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

It is being currently tested , but no release date given, no info

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jspicoli,

As mentioned above, this feature is still under development. Stay tuned for more announcements on this feature in the future. For more information on this feature, see here: What is Arlo Smart and how do I benefit from it?

JamesC

rottielover
Tutor
Tutor

The site updated with the pricing, but not really anything more...  $4 / month per Camera....

um,  OUCH

For $50 a year per camera (ya ya 48),  I'd rather make you store the video's of the dog pooping in your cloud storage netgear.  This better be some amazing stuff for that kind of money.

EDIT

Then I realized that it said you get 1 camera "free" with an Elite subscription...  UH,  the Elite Sub is 149 / year and the next one down is 99 a year...   for some more storage and.... ???

Netgear, you better have a serious sit-down with whomever is coming up with your pricing model.

MikeAndNick
Tutor
Tutor

It finally came out and it does not work.  I put it on my camera in the driveway told it to only do people and it sends alerts for cars, dogs, cats, people....  How bad is there programmers and mananagment to put out something that does not work?

rottielover
Tutor
Tutor
That's super disappointing to hear. I've been waiting for a year for this. I don't see it available yet ?

I would love to try this for my front door. I know that Nest started advertising that Nest cam has a similar feature and people seem to be fairly happy with it.
skingspan
Luminary
Luminary

I appreciate that Netgear is adding new features but i don't get it.  I don't get a whole lot of false triggers so I can't see myself paying a monthy fee for something like this.  Especially when I got arlo because it was the only product among the competetion without a monthly fee for storage.

I may give the free trial a shot but I can't see myself paying for it

--------------------------------------------
https://wickedsmarthome.blogspot.com/
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Arlo Smart is powered by modern machine learning algorithms that are always improving. These algorithms are trained to not only detect what caused the motion (Person, for example), but also determine how confident they are in making that identification. If the algorithm is not very confident, Arlo asks you to confirm if it is a person or not. Every time you answer these questions, you are helping to train the Arlo Smart machine learning algorithm to recognize more objects at a higher precision and send you even better alerts.

Take a look here for more information on how you can help improve object recognition with Arlo Smart: How can I help Arlo Smart learn to identify objects?

JamesC

ralgvl
Tutor
Tutor

I started the trial today. It a disappointment so far. I have People and Vehicles checked. I tried a test by walking across the camera first. It correctly sent an alert. I then attached a rope to a branch and out of view of the camera gave several pulls. The branch and my bird feeder started to sway. I incorrectly received an alert. Later with the wind blowing, I received additional alerts. My wife went out to retrieve the mail and it didn't recognize her as a person, oops. I told my wife she wasn't recognized as a person. and that didn't go over well.

To sum this up, the trial in the real world so far is a flop! I did donate a couple of clips to help but they've got a lot to do before I shell out any money for this.