Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
tsonka
Star
Star

I have a 5 camera Arlo Pro system. After the May update my cameras started draining thier batteries super fast, as was noted by many others in the 20+ page thread.

The last Firmware updated "Helped" the issue, but my battries are still draining much faster than they ever did before the May update. 

The day the June update happened I charged all batteries to 100%, removed the batteries from the cameras for a moment and also disconnected power to the base station, then rebooted it again just before setting up the cameras again.

Are others still having battery life issues?

60 REPLIES 60
tsonka
Star
Star

Ill also add that all 5 of my cameras discharge equeally, roughly 3% a day

They are each triggered on average 3-10 times a day for 10sec recordings.

4 have max Wi-Fi signal with the one in my garage having 2/3 Wi-Fi signal strength indication, but that is how it has always been. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems to be specific to a setup for whatever reason. While there are a number of complaints of this issue here, it just isn't an issue for most people or we'd be totally swamped here. I have 7 cameras, ranging from the originals to Pro 2s, that don't have this problem. That doesn't help you, though.

Jayz0r
Star
Star
Same problem here with some of my cameras. One of them was fully recharged about a week ago and hasn't been used other than positioning it back on the wall (so no recording of anything), it's about 10-15 ft from the base station, and already at 83%.

I'm mostly saddened that we can't rely on this system when it's most needed, I was on vacation in June for a few weeks, had them all charged up, 4 out of 5 were drained before I got back. They were doing great before that issue with the May firmware, but now... IDK, I can't recommend them to people anymore and regret I ever did.
SkolViking
Guide
Guide
Mine are doing the same. I even have one as a spare that I usually have in off mode and it lasts for a very long time . In a week it dropped about 50% as did my other camera . Even tried new battery and that didn't change. I'm about to get Nest hardwire and sell these since support is lacking .
tsonka
Star
Star

The batteires are now dead in my 5 cameras. They were last charged to 100% the day of the June update, before the May update they would last 2-3 months.

Tonight through tomorrow I am going to charge the batteries to 100% -- Remove them from the cameras for a long period of time -- remove all cameras from the base station --- unplug the Base station from power, internet connection and connected USB stick, reconnect everyting then reboot again --- For **bleep**s and giggles Im even going to reboot my router -- Then repair all cameras and try again

I bought my Arlo Pro system the week of release and have been 100% happy until the May update. I understand software / Firmware issues and can live with that, but would be nice if it was at least ackgnoledged if they know it is an issue and they are working on it

tsonka
Star
Star

I have 4 of 5 cameras charged to 100%. After the full charge indicator comes on I unplug for awhile, then reconnected to carger to verify full charge, all cameras charge for about another 15min, I am confident they are as charged as they can possiby get.

I am doing exactally as I said I would. 

Last night the Base Station was turned off by its On / Off switch, unplugged from power, internet and the USB stick removed. Sat overnight unplugged. It is now plugged in, after all cameras are charged I am going to remove all cameras from the Base Station, reboot the router and the Base Station, then pair all cameras

After charging the batteries were removed from cameras, all cameras have sat for a minimum of 1 hour with the battery removed

All of my cameras require atleast a step ladder to access, but I have 1 that is in my vaulted entryway that is a real pain to get too. For this expermient I am going to put that camera in a closet turned on. That way it will not be tripped but on the same schedule as the others. I can check the parasitic draw of that camera.

In 2-3 days Ill post my results

Again. Before the May update all my cameras would last 2-3 months, the Arlo Pro system worked as expected and I was very happy with it. I did not even think about battery life, everyting about the Arlo Pro system worked as advertised

After the May update I did not participate in the uproar because it was known that it was a problem. However it is still not correct. 

I am computer / software savy enough to understand software / firmware issues. If this is still an issue that is being worked on I wish it was atleast ackgnoledged, I would be happy knowing a fix was being worked on. 

tsonka
Star
Star

I also made note of the scheduling bug mentioned in other posts

I went through all my schedules and changed them so they are not on an even hour / half hour / 15min

All my times are now :01 / :31 / :16

tsonka
Star
Star

2 days later and all cameras are still at 100% --- But did I read that there was a Firmware update today?

Smarks
Star
Star

I'm having the same short battery life reported here.  4 cameras use to last 3 months with a good amount of recording time.  I recharged my batteries on June 26, and today they are all around 15% charged.  I purchased these last May 2017.  Just over a year old.  Very dissapointed I went with these cameras as they looked so promising.  The schedule issues have also made them unreliable.

tsonka
Star
Star

I am going to call my issue Solved!

I did the procdure stated in my inital post before the latest update. That the procedure I did help, I was loosing 2-3% a day before then held 2 days at 100%

After the update I am still at 100%. A 2-3 month periord will be the true test, but all is going well. 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Don't be fooled by the 100% battery level for several days after a recharge. Others have reported that behaivor here and I have seen that behavior as well. Just because they stay at 100% for several days doesn't necessarily mean they aren't discharging faster than normal. Give it time for the 100% to stop reporting (falsely is some cases) and then see how your battery drain goes. I was great after the June firmware update, now after the July update I'm not so sure. I just charged all cameras last night so I'll be testing and observing for several days/weeks now to see how battery drain goes.

SkolViking
Guide
Guide
Mine seemed to have been fixed. Too late though I already ordered Nest Outdoor IQ Cams and have a buyer for my Arlo.
saddonizio
Tutor
Tutor

I have the SAME thing happening since that May update.  I also updated the June firmware update but STILL my batteries are draining MUCH faster.  It used to be 3 months between charges. Now it is more like 4-6 weeks. What gives?

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@saddonizio wrote:

I have the SAME thing happening since that May update.  I also updated the June firmware update but STILL my batteries are draining MUCH faster.  It used to be 3 months between charges. Now it is more like 4-6 weeks. What gives?

What firmware version do you have now on your base and cameras? I forget the actual month, but the battery drain issue was fixed with a august or september firmware update.

saddonizio
Tutor
Tutor

When I go into  System, About, it seems I have version:  
2.6.0.937_24489  which is as of October 19, 2018

When was the update you refer to? I noticed today that my batteries are low and I just charged them to 100% mid-September.  So I don't think that if it was updated in September, that it fixed the problem.
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@saddonizio wrote:

When I go into  System, About, it seems I have version:  
2.6.0.937_24489  which is as of October 19, 2018

When was the update you refer to? I noticed today that my batteries are low and I just charged them to 100% mid-September.  So I don't think that if it was updated in September, that it fixed the problem.

That's the app version. For firmware version, in android it's settings, my devices, choose your base, device info. iOS is probably similiar.

It was September. Here is the post about it.

https://community.arlo.com/t5/Firmware-Release-Notes/Arlo-Pro-1-092-0-17-25364-26th-September-2018/t...

saddonizio
Tutor
Tutor

I confirmed that all firmware on all cameras, the base and my app are up to date. Not sure why the battery is draining so fast.  It never used to do this and nothing else has changed.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Try restarting the base first and if needed, also pull the batteries on the cameras and reinsert. See if that helps.

moe14
Initiate
Initiate

I have 10 x Arlo Cameras connected to 1 x  Base station. I am finding that every 2 weeks I am recharging batterires.When I first purchased the system the batteries lasted 3-4 months. 

Firmware on cameras is 1.092.0.19_26228

Firmware on base station i is 1.12.0.0_27099

Please advise.

Maurice 

moe14
Initiate
Initiate

I have 10 x Arlo Pro Cameras connected to 1 x  Base station. I am finding that every 2 weeks I am recharging batterires.When I first purchased the system the batteries lasted 3-4 months. 

Firmware on cameras is 1.092.0.19_26228; HW Version: H8

Firmware on base station i is 1.12.0.0_27099; HW Version: VMB4000r3

Please advise.

Maurice 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

moe14,

What are the sensitivity settings for these cameras? Are all 10 cameras draining or is this happening to a select few?

razrback99
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same problem as you described. Everything was lovely before May update, could get 3 months no problem. Now it's odd and random, I can't quite seem to get a pattern. Charged all 3 batteries 3 weeks ago. 2 of them are in the 80+%, one is 43%. And it hasn't been used anymore than the others. I've rebooted, look for updates, moved batteries and cameras around, but no pattern that i can determine. 

So, went from very happy to very unhappy with Arlo. I knew Cust Serv was non-existent but I took a chance based on being wireless. 

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

razrback99,

Have you performed any trouble shooting steps? I can try and be of assistance, but I don't want to suggest anything you have recently tried.

razrback99
Aspirant
Aspirant
Don't know what to do other than reboot base and move batteries around. What else should I try?