Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Separate modes for cameras

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello everyone. I have been going thru the forums. But I couldn't find a question, exactly like mine. So I am hoping someone could help me. And if already asked and answered, I'm sorry.

I have Arlo Pro with 5 cameras. I am looking to setup a mode where it works as followed.

Both outside cameras run all the time.
2 inside cameras run via geo
And the baby's room cameras only works via sound detection, but runs all the time.

Is this possible with just one base? If not. What is the best solution.

Thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And, yes...you can have only ONE mode running at a time... But the Geo switches back and forth the two modes you have selected... You cannot just go outside, you must leave the gps radius of your home , about 150-250 meters

AWAY  ARMED:  HOME   ARMED

And I selected Custome Mode, where the 3 inside cameras, as followed:

Kitchen - Motion Only

Baby's Room - Audio Only

Living Room - Motion Only

Set up as

AWAY ARMED

HOME CUSTOM ( OUTSIDE CAMS AND AUDIO FOR BABYROOM )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes.... in Geo, you have an "away" mode and "home mode"

In HOME mode set up the outside cams and the baby room to be in Custom Mode (create new mode including outdoors and babyroom,  and edit mode in baby room to set for audio only)((** any camera NOT in the active mode will be off so leave out the 2 inside))

For AWAY mode, Just use the default ARMED so all are on

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
I'll be a bit honest. I'm confused. When I'm creating a Mode, it only allows me to choice one camera. And after done and I have all the mode options. I can only use one mode at a time. Meaning clicked with the green bubble.

So I quite don't understand the process.

But what I want are the outside running all the time. 2 inside running in geo and the baby running but audio only. So in total. All 5 cameras will be active.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When you first create a CUSTOM mode, add the first camera and SAVE.

Then go back and EDIT the new mode to add the SECOND camera...repeat as needed .

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

So create a Custom mode by adding an outdoor cam, SAVE... then EDIT and add the other outdoor, Save.

Edit again and add the Baby room cam but set it to audio only in the sense to record, SAVE

This would be your HOME mode so all the above 3 cams will be active with audio detect only on babyroom.

AWAY mode you can use ARMED mode so all indoor and outdoor cams will be on

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
I see what you mean by adding one at a time. But it doesn't work as I want. It doesn't allow me to set rules such as geo when I'm selecting the inside cameras

My only options are only audio or motion detection.

Meaning all cameras will have the same rules and they will act as if they were in alarm mode.
Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant
If u use those 2 modes, thar means every time I have to remember to switch between mode when I'm home and leaving the house. I wanted a one mode set and forget for all 5 cameras.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@Toledori

No, you misunderstand....

First create the custom mode... ( geo is not an option in the mode )

https://kb.arlo.com/1085093/How-does-Arlo-Geofencing-work-and-how-do-I-set-it-up

Then start and pick GEO, from there once set up you have a choice of any of your current Modes to use as either AWAY or HOME.

It will switch automatically once you leave the radius around your home ( gps must be on your phone running in background )

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

I understand what you are trying to tell me. But it is not going to work as I looking for. For example. When I go thru the geo settings in no settings it asks me which cameras I want to work under geo.

Then I can only have one active Mode at a time.

So my custom mode won't of I have mus geo selected. I am not trying to frustrate you. But I just don't see how it's working when you are telling me.

I added some photos this time. Starting with geo to custom so you can see what I am seeing.

https://imgur.com/a/a6Qsa   (Selecting Modes)

https://imgur.com/a/4okFr    (Geo Settings)

https://imgur.com/a/fdedh    (Custome Mode)

https://imgur.com/a/F9R88  (Custome Mode Settings)

Now, I tried the following to see if it works and it did not. I have my settings in GEO as the following:

Kitchen - Motion Only

Baby's Room - Audio Only

When I went outside and stood in from of both outside cameras neither one detected me.

Immediately inside the house, both the kitchen and Living Room detected me.

I then selected GEO and once outside, both outside cameras detected me.

So, I have come to understand that only one mode works at a time. So in no way, I can over write the system, and make it work as I wish I want to.

Meaning, all 5 cameras will be active 24 hours, but we different settings so they can work independetly

So, here again the settings that I have been trying to work, but it doesn't seem to work.

Inside Cameras (2, Kitchen and Living Room) will only send push notificaitons of any movement when I am not home.

Outside Cameras (2, Will only send me notifications when I am not home)

Baby Rooms will send me notifications any time but only by sound.

All 5 active under one mode since only one mode can be active at a time.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When I go thru the geo settings in no settings it asks me which cameras I want to work under geo.

This is correct....you do NOT pick cameras in the Geo you select a MODE

see pic; in this case only the front door is on when home, armed all when away

These choices are your existing modes.

Screenshot_20180303-102115.png

What you do in Geo is use the Custom mode you previously created as your HOME mode ( so the outside and baby would be active )

Then for your AWAY mode in Geo, pick Armed so all cams are on

PS your pics were not valid address

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And, yes...you can have only ONE mode running at a time... But the Geo switches back and forth the two modes you have selected... You cannot just go outside, you must leave the gps radius of your home , about 150-250 meters

Kitchen - Motion Only

Baby's Room - Audio Only

Set up as

AWAY ARMED

HOME CUSTOM ( OUTSIDE CAMS AND AUDIO FOR BABYROOM )

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

Well TomMac where can I send you Beer money. I am an idiot. For some reason I was understanding that I need to have both the custom modes I created and the GEO selected to work. Now I noticed that I can use the custome modes created under GEO settings.

So, I got it. But now i realized a slight problem. When I am home only the outsides and the baby rooms will record if motion detected. Meaning that once I leave and I am away from the radius of my home, the only cameras sending me push notifications will be the Living and the Kitchen. Both outside cameras will be off.

I was hoping that the outsides will work at all time, when I am home and when I am away.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

When I am home only the outsides and the baby rooms will record if motion detected. Meaning that once I leave and I am away from the radius of my home, the only cameras sending me push notifications will be the Living and the Kitchen. Both outside cameras will be off.

I was hoping that the outsides will work at all time, when I am home and when I am away

For the AWAY mode in Geo, just use the Armed ( default ) mode... then all cams will be on and alerts for all sent

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yeah, that will freaking doing. Wow, this was one frustrating thread for you. I am freaking sorry. But you did amazing. This will work now.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

glad to help....

Toledori
Aspirant
Aspirant

Im bring this thread back up Tom.

Hopefully you can help me with this new issues:

1. When trying to add my wife's cell phone to the Geo, I get the following problems.

A. It will show her phone unavailable most of the time.

B. We work Different schedules, but for a portion of the day we are both not home. When I leave, the house will stay at Home, due to the fact that she still there. But when she leaves, and I am still not home, Arlo stays at HOME, instead of switching to AWAY.

I have tried unistalling the app from her phone, resetting, unchecking and rechecking. I cant get it to work as it should.

2. The Baby's Room camera audio has an issue. Any sound setting between 1-4 the camera does not react, even if I am standing under it screaming. However, as soon as I move it to 5, it will react to even noises downstairs. This is an issue because I need it to work under audion for the baby, but I dont need it that sensitive. And the fact that it does nothing between 1-4 that has me worry.