Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6 TB External HDD - STEL6000100 - USB 3.0

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 3 In Conversation
greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

Can I hook up a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 6 TB External HDD - STEL6000100 - USB 3.0 to my Aro Pro 6 Camera system? I am thinking of getting more cameras on my system and looks like I can get up to 10 cameras if I get the $150.00 a year subscription?  I do not see the difference in getting two 2TB drives.  Why not just get one large drive etc...  Also is it better to get a solid state drive?

Thank you for all your help.

jared

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes..As a PS to above, ONLY motion activated recording will go to the backup usb drive.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Based on a quick glance at the specs, it appears that the answer is yes.  However (you just knew there had to be one, right?), you would need to connect the unit to the base instead of a computer.  I don't think the front USB ports would work for Arlo although it could be an interesting test.  More importantly, though, is the need for there to be a FAT32 partition which would mean you'd need to instantly repartition and format the drive to allow it to work.  You'd generally be better off using a $15 thumb drive for Arlo and save this unit for your computer.

greenbrg
Tutor
Tutor

I would love a thumb drive but I do not think they make a 6TB one?  That is not thousands of dollars.  like the Kingston DataTraveler Ultimate GT 2 TB Flash Drive - USB 3.1.  I figure the 6 TB drive will do a few months of recordings with 10 camera all recording 10 min clips etc...  Not sure but its worth a try.  Reason why I like the front is I am hopeing that I can plug a thumb drive into those and move stored pics to them etc...  That of course is all dependant on the software from NetGear etc...

Thanks for the reply.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you can't access any of the videos from the backup drive directly any way ( without ejecting it and plugging into another device )

I use a 32GB stick run it for a month or two, pull it and copy all of , then put it back...takes a few mins

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You have to remember that you're not recording 24/7. 10 minute recordings are also not possible since these only record up to 2 minutes based on motion detection. I use a 16GB thumb drive which lasts for at least 2 months with 100-150 recordings a day.
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes..As a PS to above, ONLY motion activated recording will go to the backup usb drive.