Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
jqcastelli
Luminary
Luminary

I replaced the batteries in a camera when it recommended that it be replaxced, and when i put in fully charged batteries, it killed the WiFi connection ability of the camera. I have tried the batteries in another camera and it worked just fine. Placed the batteries in the dead camera and it still did not work. I reset the router and to no avail. I removed the camera from the devices, and tried to get the camera recognized when choosing Add Device. That failed because the router would not recognize the camera.

Why does camera battery replacement do this? That's $150 down the drain through no fault of my own.

3 REPLIES 3
brh
Master
Master

@jqcastelli

When you say batteries, that indicates that you are using the original Wire Free HD cameras. The usual cause of this problem is that different manufacturer's tolerences are different and sometimes don't seat properly. The recommended procedure is to gently drop the batteries in and let the pressure of closing the battery door apply the proper pressure. If that doesn't fix it, you may need to change battery brands or contact Customer Support.

Brian

jqcastelli
Luminary
Luminary

I have used these rechargeable batteries with no other problems in 5 of my 7 WireFree HD cameras. Only one camera failed to connect to WiFi. The initialization sequence start with the flashing blue light then goes solid and eventually trurns off. If it was as simple as a battery issue I would have discovered that eraly on. I never force anything mechanically on any of my equipment including my Arlo cameras. As I used to be a hardware engineer in Silicon Valley, I am fully aware of how to make contacts work with power sources like batteries. This is a fault in the camera firmware and as I said, through no fault of my own.

As none of my other cameras actually fully died, i think this is a rare isse that one of my cameras had. Another camera did something similiar when batteries were replaced; however, by covering the camera lens and the microphone, it somehow reset itsel internally and came back alive a few moments later.

Thanks anyway Brian, but I require a more in-depth answer as to whether or not there is enough protection for power surge once a batter array has been placed into the camera, or is just a manufacturing defect in this camera and the other one mentioned.

ChevyMama
Luminary
Luminary

If you are still under warranty I'd get the one camera replaced. Sounds like its just a bad camera period, especially since your other camera's are working fine...