Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Red lightning bolt. Battery won't charge even when using original charger

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
josepht1002
Aspirant
Aspirant

As of last week, every time I try to charge my camera (all 3 of them). I get the red lightning bolt icon and get the error message to use original charger. I am using the original charger that came with the device. 

The batterie(s) just won't charge. When I take the batteries out and plug in the charger, the device functions normally and the icon is green with a green lightning bolt. 

Seems like a software update of some kinds is preventing me from using the original charger with the camera(s). Any help?

4 REPLIES 4
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Could be the camera is faulty but I'd start with swapping batteries around. If the same thing happens, it's likely the camera.

josepht1002
Aspirant
Aspirant
Rotated all 3 batteries across all 3 cameras. Receiving the same error across everything. I think the cameras are fine since they work as expected plugged in.

I’m considering purchasing a charger on Amazon for the batteries and see if that works. Unsure how to test batteries
somewhereiniowa
Star
Star

I am having the same problem with my Arlo Pro.  Did you ever figure out how to get them to charge?  I mentioned this morning to my husband, I wonder if Arlo made it so we can't charge these old Arlo's forcing us to buy newer?  And newer cameras require a subscription plan.  

josepht1002
Aspirant
Aspirant

I purchased a 3rd party battery charger on Amazon. All batteries charged up fine after that. 
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MDVFF4P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Looks like I cannot charge via USB port on the Arlo devices anymore