Recording to base without subscription

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
SCJD
Follower
Follower

A few years ago I purchased a package with the VMB4000 base station and four Pro cameras.  About a year ago, I purchased an additional three cameras.  At this time the Pro cameras were not available but a newer version was so that is what I purchased.  In the product lit, it said that the newer cameras would record to a base station without a subscription.  Come to find out, it was somewhat of a bait-and-switch answer.  Yes, apparently they will, but they did not fully disclose that it was only to a “certain” base station, not “any” base station.  Therefore, if you didn’t buy the package and get the new base station the statement was, in fact, false…again, without at all being clear…almost being deceptive marketing.

Is there any known way to get my newer cameras (I think they’re Pro3’s but it doesn’t tell me on the app)  to record to my VMB4000 base station?  If not, is the only answer to be beholden to a monthly fee to Arlo (which I won’t) or have to buy a new base station (which I think they would owe all consumers who own older base stations thanks to their [intentionally] misleading marketing)?

1 REPLY 1
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@SCJD wrote:

(I think they’re Pro3’s but it doesn’t tell me on the app) 

Open the cameras, remove the batteries, and look for a label that starts with VMC...   

The Pro 3 is VMC4040P.  If you see a different label, just post it in a reply.

@SCJD wrote:

Is there any known way to get my newer cameras (I think they’re Pro3’s but it doesn’t tell me on the app)  to record to my VMB4000 base station?

They will record w/o a subscription, but with the VMB4000 the only way to see local recordings is to remove the USB drive and connect it to a PC.

@SCJD wrote:

A few years ago I purchased a package with the VMB4000 base station and four Pro cameras.  About a year ago, I purchased an additional three cameras.  

While the Pro cameras have 7-day free cloud storage, that is limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras account.

The other option is to purchase a smarthub (VMB4540 or VMB5000), and use direct access to local storage.  That has several limitations

• recordings are only available in the app (not the browser)
  • recordings only available in the primary account (not friend accounts)
  • no ability to make manual recordings/snapshots
  • no thumbnails
  • remote access requires router settings that some find difficult, and which won't work for some ISPs (for example, Starlink and T-mobile broadband)

https://kb.arlo.com/000062337/What-is-Direct-Storage-Access-and-how-do-I-use-it-for-Arlo-video-recor...

@SCJD wrote:

A few years ago I purchased a package with the VMB4000 base station and four Pro cameras.  About a year ago, I purchased an additional three cameras.  

Although your Pro cameras come with 7-day free cloud recording,  that is limited to 5 unsubscribed cameras per account.

Do you have a subscription now?

If not, are you getting recordings for your Pro cameras?