Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Record more than 10 seconds

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 7 In Conversation
AbqDunn
Tutor
Tutor

Hello, it's seems that every time motion is activated the camera only records 10 second. How do I get it to record until motion has stopped or for a longer period of time?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use the More tab, click on your base and check out the modes. You're likely using the Armed mode right now. While you could change the recording time there, I'd strongly suggest that you learn to create your own mode with appropriate rules in it. When you first create a mode you can only set up one camera rule. Save and then reedit it too add as many rules as you like. Any camera that doesn't have a rule is disarmed. If one mode isn't enough since you may want flexibility, create more and maybe schedule them. Poke around - it's not that hard.

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18
AbqDunn
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Use the More tab, click on your base and check out the modes. You're likely using the Armed mode right now. While you could change the recording time there, I'd strongly suggest that you learn to create your own mode with appropriate rules in it. When you first create a mode you can only set up one camera rule. Save and then reedit it too add as many rules as you like. Any camera that doesn't have a rule is disarmed. If one mode isn't enough since you may want flexibility, create more and maybe schedule them. Poke around - it's not that hard.
AbqDunn
Tutor
Tutor

Thanks a bunch. That was it!

so if there is stilll movement at the end of the time period will it continue to record or will it start a new clip

jcwrks
Luminary
Luminary

It will pause for a few seconds, and if detects movement you will get a new notification/recording.

Yatin
Aspirant
Aspirant

I want to record a continuous clip longer than 10 seconds as long as the motion continues. Can I do that?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Use the Mode tab, click on your base and edit your modes or create your own new one.  The Pro cameras not only can record from 10-120 seconds but also have a record until motion stops setting.  Unfortunately, the latter isn't working so you'll just have to set the time as you wish.

Yatin
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response and confirmation that it isn't working correctly. Even though I have it set at continous recording until motion continues it only records for a 29 seconds pre-determined time of 30 seconds (earlier setting before I changed it to continous recording). Still don't know why it shaves off 1 second.

Larc4
Star
Star
jguerdat .. Are you saying that the record until Motion stops is not working on any Pro cameras right now? I am having the same issue. Is it something that will be fixed by an update?
Or should I call tech support and try and fix mine? I do not want to set a fixed time for recording. First, it uses too much battery if you set a longer time. If you set a short time, you miss what's happening between the 2 clips. It takes about 30 seconds for the first clip to end and the next to start
Larc4
Star
Star

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Yup, it's broken. We've been told that it will be removed until working. Use static recording times for now.
AbqDunn
Tutor
Tutor

Oh, is still have the option to check it. Should i not?

AbqDunn
Tutor
Tutor

jguerdat wrote:
Yup, it's broken. We've been told that it will be removed until working. Use static recording times for now.

Oh, i still have the option to check that box to stop recording when motion stops. Should i not use it yet?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I set mine back so that if/when the option disappears there won't be confusion as to what the camera is supposed to do.  Just being anal...

helenzap
Aspirant
Aspirant

can you record longer than 10 seconds on the regular Arlo or do you need the arlo pro?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Any Arlo will record up to 2 minutes. In the Mode tab, click on your base and edit or create your modes.
Shasha
Tutor
Tutor
I'm going crazy trying to find an answer to my problem. My camera is only recording for 10 sec. Intervals how to I set to record for longer ? Because I'm missing what's happening only getting fragments of action ???
Shasha
Tutor
Tutor
What is the base ? Where do I go to do this under setting ?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
You don't. You change in the camera rules in the Mode tab. There are FAQs here that step you through how to change settings as well as to create your own custom modes and rules for complete​control.

Basically, use the Mode tab, click on your base and check out the Armed mode, which is likely the one in use. All settings for the individual cameras are in there. Be sure to save and changes which !At be on the same page or one page back. Sometimes there's a second Save get another page back since you have to save the file and then the mode.