Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Recharging Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 21 Replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 10 In Conversation
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

I already have a Arlo Wireless system. I'm interested in adding an Arlo Pro. but apparently the Add On Arlo Pro comes with just one battery. That means you would have to take the camera down, connect to a charger, once recharged however long that takes, then reinstall the camera. Seems the only way around this is to spend at least another $50 for an extra battery and charger? That being the case it becomes more expensive, not to mention the down time to recharge. It would be nice if Netgear would just include a spare battery so it could be charged and ready to go.

21 REPLIES 21
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The PRO can also be charged with the battery inside thru a usb port AND/OR it can be left plugged in if desired ( ac power/cord not outdoor rated )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Exactly my point, as I said, with only one provided battery the camera must be removed from its location, brought in and recharged for some amount of time, then repaced to its location. So, recharge time is downtime. The only way to avoid this is a second battery, which apparently is at least another $50. I saw briefly on the Facebook demo there is a double barrel charger to charge two battteries at once, but the cost is unknown at this point, I can only imagine the what that is.

Freeman1056
Initiate
Initiate

Extra battery is $49.99 which you can't charge outof the box unless put inside one of the cameras, or you can also buy the dual charger (another extra $59) which then will allow you to charge one battery externally and swap with the empty one in the camera and start the charging process again.... this system is designed to have you spend an extra $110.

gildrush
Apprentice
Apprentice

Absolutely right. Thats the only way to eliminate downtime to recharge. The least they could do is include a spare battery in the dual charger for that price. The dual charger cost more than a spare battery. This is my only real complaint ...so far.

Psaras
Apprentice
Apprentice

Freeman1056 wrote:

...you spend an extra $110.

Yes it is crazy. If you have three outdoors and one indoors at least you can charge the indoor one in situ and then take out the full battery and just swap it with outdoor batteries as you need them.

But if all your cameras are outdoors it is pita since Netgear says not to recharge outdoors. I also do not want to dismount my outdoor cameras over and over since the shallow threaded plastic of the case is bound to fail if it si removed and remounted a lot and mine are 20' over concrete and would bust to bits if they fall from failed mount or butterfingers

I am going to wait for black Friday and see if there are any deals on the single camera. Even at 20% discount that is about  $150 this will get a  battery, and wall charger and way to charge the battery (inside the camera)  for  essentially pay $40 for the camera which  can be used as a indoor unit and a spare should an outdoor unit die -- or get dropped.

Single camera base station purchases might among the most likely to be significantly discounted and if you have marginal signal quality due to them being outside of outside walls an extra base station might also be an added value (as it definitely was on my original arlo system with a pair of two camera systems where I had two bases).

Ex supposing a 20% discount on BF:

Single pro camera: $152

System, base station, camera and battery (and outdoor mount): $200

I think home security systems and surveillance consumer electronics will  be under some serious price pressure and some good discounts on black friday -- and you will likely see deepest discounts on systems more than on accessories. The one camera system might be the best way to get a spare battery and charger as you get another base and presumably better range.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi Tom,

You say: ( ac power/cord not outdoor rated )

What do you mean?

The cord and/or the micro usb connector are not outdoor rated?

I know the wall charger is not, but I have that indoors.

The cord is a cord.  I can make it more weatherproof by changing it to possible a round USB which may have more insulation on it or putting it in some split wireloom tubing.

If the micro connector is the problem than how are they connecting the new solar panel to the same micro usb jack?

Thanks,

Dave

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Apparently the USB cable is not rated for outdoors but a quick Google of "outdoor USB cable" yields lots of results.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I don't think there is any USB cable that is rated for outdoor use.

Show me a link because I can't find one.

There are usb cables with weatherproof connectors but the actual cable doesn't look any different than any other USB cable I've seen.

The cable isn't the problem it's where the cable connects to the camera and so far nobody has been able to tell me how netgear solves that problem with the Solar panel connection vs the AC adapter connection.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I spoke too quickly. The search shows some cables for outdoors but either have the wrong connectors and/or are very expensive. The wiring cover is mostly immaterial as long as it's good quality and not some flimsy cover. The connectors themselves are certainly the issue but the few that are shown do show it's possible. How Netgear will address this is unknown.
mchinsomboon
Star
Star

We are using Silly Putty (found a metallic colored one at Target - in the party section - not the toy section - though I'm sure any color will work fine) and sealed all the edges around the cable and connector. Let's hope it lasts out the winter here in Boston!

2016-11-04 15.43.48.jpg2016-11-04 14.22.59.jpg

Stevenross
Star
Star

Hello – I see you're set up and I'm curious as to how it's been working and if you left the battery inside of the camera or took it out and just use the power off of the USB. 

If you would do it again would you do anything different? 

Freeman1056
Initiate
Initiate

I have the 4 camera setup since almost 2 months now, all cameras report between 42-36% battery life left, I have not recharged the first one just yet, but I see all the hazard and troubles I will be when that time comes (probably in the next few weeks), the product includes a major upgrade over last model (rechargeable batteries) but it fails to include an easy solution to pair with it (a charger station for the battery alone), instead they want you to unmount all your cameras to recharge them or use one of them as a charge station and swap batteries, this is ridiculous and very cumbersome for a product at this price level, arlo wants you to spend more money (about $110, extra battery and battery charge station) in order to be comfortable to recharge the batteries, I understand all business is about money, but for the price range of this product an extra battery and a battery charger should have be included in the box, or at least, made available at a lower cost.

I'm very pleased with the cameras and their functionality, but I have failed to recommend this product just for this issue with the recharging of the batteries, which I think is the heart and true wireless feature of this product.

Think again arlo!!! What a perfect product would you be if you would have thought of your consumers a little more than your wallets!!!

My 2 cents..

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Your silly putty image with the threads visible is pretty much identical to my setup using the black mastic tape which can me molded around the plug.

I have had zero issues

mchinsomboon
Star
Star

We left the batteries in and working well so far. Very happy with it all!

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you on a UPS backup for the router/arlo basestation?

Just wondering why you left the battery in.

I left mine out because of the weight.

Stevenross
Star
Star

would it work without the battery in the unit with a USB connection?

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

yes

mchinsomboon
Star
Star

No UPS. Router is on a different building panel anyway. Battery left in, in case plug comes lose from the wall or someone accidentally kicks it. May need to unplug during freezing temps, and we're close now

Mat_hunter
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you want something that is rated for outdoor use instead of silly putty.

https://www.data-alliance.net/connector-sealant-strip-1-2-inch-wide-x-60-inches-long-coax-seal-104/

This tape stuff is what wireless engineers use for weatherproofing cables etc.  Cheap enough.

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

That's what I'm using.

3M

Available at any Home Depot or Lowes

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

At work for years we have used rubber tape successfully to seal exposed wire connections from pressures up to 15,000psi and temperatures up to 400F degrees.  I would probably use ether silicone tap, silicone chalk, or rubber tape.  The rubber tape will vulcanize together fairly quickly.