Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 3 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
WalkersRun
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am a board member of a condominium HOA who wants to install security cameras in and around their clubhouse.  I have been researching various cameras and deciding what to buy and would like the community's help in deciding.

First, it is kind of worrisome that there is no official contact email and that I have to use the forums for community support, knowledgable as people in the community may be.  I tried to see if there was a manual online that I could read to see how it works, but I couldn't find one.  If it is online on this website, it is not easy to find.  I also can't find where to buy the 5 camera arlo pro version.

The range of the wifi is stated to be 300ft.  In realistic terms inside a building, how long is the range really?  The cameras will not be too far away.  We want some downstairs in a minigym and a spa entrance, one in the main room, and two outdoors.  They shouldn't be more than 100 ft away from the box, but there are walls in the way. 

How long is battery life usually?  If one runs out of battery power, how long does it take to recharge?

Can the Arlo Pro cameras handle high heat and humidity and not fog up as in a hot tub room?

What is the purpose of the box?  Is that the wifi that they connect to?  Can they not connect to a normal wifi router like other camera devices?

Input from the community or any Netgear employees who peruse the forums would be appreciated.   Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

There is a contact page here, allows phone, direct text via html, or email....  found from the Support at top of page.

https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx

First, right off the start, IMO, they may not be suited for this use as the Arlos tend to be motion>record type of cameras , not 24/7 record.

That said, what may work would be the Arlo Q cameras which are indoor rated ONLY but are AC powered and/or the newer PRO Arlo cameras which can be also ac powered The Q cameras have an option ($) of a CVR feature which records 24/7.( the only arlo camera that does right now )

The major diff is the Arlo cameras  all link to a BASE unit which creates it's own wifi system...the arlo cameras will ONLY link to the base.

The Q cameras will link to you own WIFI system so if you have a large wifi sytem covering the clubhouse they may work better.

As to range, the max distance for Arlo/PRO/Qs are stated as 300 feet... this is normal max for most wifi ( on which they communicate ). In a building the range will be less esp if a commercial type construction with metal beams/concrete, etc... it can be as low as 20ft

Batteries in the regular Arlo/PRO cams last 4-6 months , but that is with the spec use of 5 min or less per day...Also if your using batteries in a high activity area, they obv will not last long... In a heavy use area, they could last only a week. Which is why you prob would need AC power cameras which limit you to the Q and or the Arlo PRO units.

The Arlo cameras and PRO are weather proof and it should hold up in a high humidity..as to fogging up, have no idea, but once the camera acclimates to the temp it shouldn't ( Q isn't weather proof )

Hope this answers some questions.

Tom

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
WalkersRun
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the info TomMac, We are an apartment complex style condos and our clubhouse/cabana is a standalone building that is of a residential construction of wood. Most of the cameras will be pretty close. The ones downstairs and in the back have to go through several walls from the office. We prefer wireless because we can't always find outlets in the locations that we want. Therefore battery life will be an issue. How does the Arlo Pro compare to the Ring in that manner? How long does it take to recharge? Some areas will get more traffic than others. Some will get hardly any traffic. Are there any mounts that aren't magnetic to mitigate the risk of being stolen for outdoor cameras? How will the Arlo box hook up to the clubhouse internet with its base unit? Is there a way to boost the signal? I really like the concept of the Arlo Pro and hopefully it will fill our needs.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

- The ones downstairs and in the back have to go through several walls from the office. We prefer wireless because we can't always find outlets in the locations that we want. Therefore battery life will be an issue. How does the Arlo Pro compare to the Ring in that manner?

Can't compare yet since the cameras are new and have to go through a few cycles to get a sense of life.  Comparing to Ring cameras is more problematic because you'd have to set them up side-by-side for comparison.  Comparing capacity with the original wireless cameras seems similar so battery life seems like it should be similar. Live viewing and recordings all take their toll with ~5 minutes of such leading to 4-6 month life.  You may have much more so life between battery changes/charges would be shorter - how much would need to be figured out by you.

- How long does it take to recharge?

Hard to say since the batteries come charged and need to be discharged.  They're rapid-charging and the charger is appropriate for that.  My Nexus 6 with rapid charging does so in about 1.5 hours regardless of starting capacity.  I don't know whether that would correlate here.

- Are there any mounts that aren't magnetic to mitigate the risk of being stolen for outdoor cameras?

Lots, including some from Netgear.  Any mount with a 1/4"-20 thread should work.

- How will the Arlo box hook up to the clubhouse internet with its base unit?

Ethernet only.  If needed for signal reasons, either a long cable or a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port can be used.  Also, multiple bases can be used in one account but cameras attached to one can't be used in rules with those attached to another.

- Is there a way to boost the signal?

No. As above, you can position the base more centrally or use multiple bases to increase coverage.