Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
Omas
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have recently read an article here some time ago about Arlo Pro cameras not affected by the heat. Mine just have and I can’t use them until they cool down. Not happy!

6 REPLIES 6
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

Where are you? Hell? Australia?

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
Omas
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes Michael I do. We hit 116.34F yesterday. I really need a discreet cover or housing with a small fan in it to try and keep it cool. I think I added a screenshot of the shutdown screen from dashboard.
michaelkenward
Sensei Sensei
Sensei

I doubt if any kit is going to be designed for the extremes you are getting.

Arlo probably needs some NASA engineers to design things for those temperatures.

Just another user
Arlo hardware: Q Plus, Pro 2 (X2), Pro 3 (X3), Pro 3 Floodlight, Security Light (X2), Ultra (X2), Doorbell, Chime
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

ANd keeping it out of the sun may help. 

storgeman
Apprentice
Apprentice

Mine also failed when we hit 116 summer before last.  One camera was fully exposed, it shut down while another one in the shade kept running.  I moved the exposed one under an eve where its shaded.  It worked all past summer with no issues.  I don't believe they can handle full sun in the heat of the day.   I wonder how they do when its -10 outside with a wind chill of -30 ?

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@storgeman wrote:

Mine also failed when we hit 116 summer before last.  One camera was fully exposed, it shut down while another one in the shade kept running.  I moved the exposed one under an eve where its shaded.  It worked all past summer with no issues.  I don't believe they can handle full sun in the heat of the day.   I wonder how they do when its -10 outside with a wind chill of -30 ?

Of course if you exceed the published temperature limits, the cameras might will fail.

Several folks here have said that removing the batteries (running with the outdoor AC charger) lets them run at both hotter temps and colder ones.

FWIW, wind chill doesn't affect inanimate objects w/o an internal heat source.  In the case an AC powered Arlo camera, wind might bring the camera down to the real temperature more quickly.  It shouldn't have any effect when the camera is battery powered.