Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Range expansion

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 4 In Conversation
Charliticus
Aspirant
Aspirant

Howdy, I'm ready to invest in a camera system for my farm, but I'm leery of what this product can offer me. The house is quite large and the property even larger. I have set up a Ubiquiti Unifi network that covers the entire property including the outbuildings etc. I would like to have cameras at the gates and around the house, but I especially want the option to move cameras around to various stalls of interest in the barn. The gates (which have no power) and the stalls are what I'm most interested in covering. Being completely wireless is a huge selling point for me, but it looks like I'm locked in to using a hub. With the cameras at their farthest being about 800' a part, 500' one way and 300' the other way. Any suggestions? 

5 REPLIES 5
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Probably a bit far. The only option would be to have a base station (needs power) close enough to the cameras and have them run off a range extender that connects to the Ubiquiti network. Not sure how practical that is

Charliticus
Aspirant
Aspirant

By extender you mean some sort of an additional AP to wire in to the hub? Hub's can't connect over wifi? Can you have more than 1 hub on a network or do they need to be VLAN'd? 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The bases must use Ethernet but use of a WiFi extender with an Ethernet port helps solve that.

You can have many bases on the same network.
ronsmith7144
Star
Star

You might consider Arlo Go, in the case of these outbuildings and remote camera locations relative to your house.   

You have too many variables in your environment that could cause you a lot of frustration, and possibly returning your cameras if you move forward with just using Arlo pro.  Perhaps mixing Pro and Go cameras would let you do what you're looking for.  

Just an idea.  I had this discussion with a friend of mine because I'm looking at this same scenario with my property and buildings as well.  

Hope that idea helps,

Ron

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Arlo Go is a good suggestion if there's mobile data coverage in those areas