Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
amilano14
Aspirant
Aspirant

Am I the only one that has an issue with their "policy" that when replacing a defective unit, on my dime, that in return, I get a USED replacement? Whoever had this camera before me obviously didn't take care of it by the looks of the outer case... 

I immediately called support and was told that everyone receving replacements get used units. That is like serving a warranty on a TV and the company sending you a used TV. I'm dumbfounded this would be their policy. If this is truly the case, I will be sure to avoid both Arlo and Netgear in the future. 

I still think the excessive battery drain on Arlo devices are the result of firmware issue they refuse to acknowledge. A camera battery doesn't go from lasting 2-3 months, recording upwards of 20+ recordings per day, to barely lasting a month recording at most 5 a day. I adjusted the angle of the camera to not pick up road traffic. 

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You really believe that any company is going to send new hardware when refurbished is available? If you crash your car, is an insurance company going to buy you a new one?

Wow.

amilano14
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wow, your humorous. I'm not talking about a insurance company, I'm talking about a manufacturer dealing with their own product that they agree is defective within their established warranty period. Using my more apt example, if you have to contact Samsung because your TV stopped working, would you accept a used, or refurbished unit as a solution? Or buy a fridge new but accept a dent/scratch unit upon delivery? If so, the problem is with you so let's try to lose that cynical tone.
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sending out refurbed units is the tech industry's dirty little secret. Dell did this to me 10 years ago. 20 monitors sent back and forth because they felt I would take another damaged one and give up. Instead I called a reporter at a major newspaer and it so happened they were doing a story on this practice. Dell spent more on shipping and could have just given me a new for new (defective) replacement but they chose to play games. In the end, I got a new replacement. I'm sure NG does the same BS. Contact the BBB and lodge a complaint.

Apprentice
Apprentice

Refurbed can mean anything from an open box return to a return that was only visually inspected. They are happy to send you another refurbed if you dont like what you got as basically you will be doing the QA. Are you really thinking they would refurbished anything. Don't think this is like MBZ, BMW or Lexus Certified Pre-Owned etc. You have a commodity product that probably cost them $20 to make and they are not gonna set up a factory to fix damaged units. You will do the QA. Send the shid back and raise hell IMO!

amilano14
Aspirant
Aspirant

I went around and around with the poor Indian girl they put on the front lines to deal with their poor policies. This was definitely NOT an open box item. This was full on used and semi-abused by the original owner. Scratches, scuffs on both the white casing AND at the bottom of the black lens area...

I have another email with a new case number that I should get a more formal answer... I will unfortunately have to call back if I don't have a response in a few days.

Also, if it wasn't so sad, it would be funny, detection events now send 3-4 notifications per event??? Is it possible for them to update something without breaking something else??