Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Questions about the product

Discussion stats
  • 14 Replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Hello all,
So I have some questions that I hope someone will answer before purchasing the Pro.

1. My neighbor wants to go "halves" on a decent security camera, does that mean I have to give him my SSID in order to view the app? Or can he log onto a site that is specifically for our camera?

2. I've heard a lot of good things and bad things about the pro camera. My main goal is to attempt to catch some car break ins/motor vehicle thefts in my parking lot. It's enclosed about 30-50 ft perimeter.

3. Can you run the base through a separate router or does it have to be your main router? (My main is in the basement). Also is the siren built into the camera or is it in the base?

I think that's all the questions I have for now, thanks.

WhiteHat
14 REPLIES 14
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
1) The website is the only way to monitor the cameras. You would use the master account and the grant him access to his email address so both can monitor at the same time.

2) The 30-50 feet is likely a deal breaker. People detection ends at 25 feet or less. These are also wide angle lenses so the distance would be an issue for seeing useful details.

3) As long as the base can access the Internet servers, the exact connection doesn't matter. However, base location is important so there's a good signal from the camera so the basement could be an issue. And the siren is in the base.
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Okay excellent information, thanks! I'll have to physically measure the distance and exactly where I should put the camera itself. In regards to #3 I have a 30 ft CAT 5e cable running from my basement router/modem to another wireless router in the living room.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

How far from your living room to the parking lot where the camera(s) will be?

vmi88grad
Initiate
Initiate

Yea, just got my Pro system yeserday. Overall great system, easy to set up and use. good wireless range. The only downside is the 720p.  You can easily see what's going on for 75-100 feet, but ID quality.... I agree with the 25 foot range max.

Arlo needs to release a 1080p pro camera soon. Hopefully with a discount to upgrade for current Arlo-pro owners.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It's not so much the resolution but the wide angle lens. Your cell phone also uses a wide angle lens, although not AS wide.  Use pinch zoom to "zoom" in and you'll realize the same effect - loss of detail since the image is simply cropped rather than an optical zoom.  WHat I want is something more like a 75 degree angle of view instead of 110-130 degrees.  Still not able to see the pimple on a bug's butt but certainly better than trying to zoom on the current cameras.

WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Im on the end unit 9! My complex so like 6 steps to the parking lot lol. I *really* with netgear would allow us to show pictures...hmmm on second thought give me a minute
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Jesus typo errors galore. What I was trying to say was: I'm on the every far end unit (first unit at the end), so 6 steps to the parking lot. I would really LIKE netgear to allow us pictures. But I have an idea, stay posted my friends.
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
https://imgur.com/gallery/DyH12

Hopefully you all will see this. There's a giant pole that's "motion sensord" only and where that Subaru is, is where my Jeep used to be. I have permission to mount it on the pole where the trash can is. I'm at the far left unit too as you can see.
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Wait, so night vision mode is only 720 P and only detects 25 ft?....
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
No, the wireless cameras have always been 720p max and detection is limited to ~25 feet max. It's the nature of the beast. Do you want extended capability or battery operation?
steve_t
Master Master
Master

When you say the pole is "motion sensord" - do you mean it has a motion sensor light on it? You probably would be OK with an Arlo Pro up that green pole and have the base in your living room. It might catch someone messing with the Subaru but not the cars further away

Also, if there is a lot of coming and going, the batteries will run down fairly quickly

WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
Yes, at night when someone walks like 7 ft in front of the it light will click on. I would set it for a certain time of day. Like 12-430 AM for motion detection. If that's the case (with the motion light) with people detection wouldn't it increase the range? Sigh...I would like to be able to see at least 6 cars, but it sounds to be that's not feasible with just one camera.
WhiteHat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I would love to extend the range/quality yes, battery operation isn't a problem because I can always set the cameras for a certain time of day and no one moves their cars from like 10-430 AM
steve_t
Master Master
Master

You probably would increase the motion detection with the light turning on

You could always put another camera at right angles to this camera and have each camera not only record but trigger the other one to record as well