Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 45 Replies
  • 21 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

It looks like the previous thread on this has been locked as I can't reply to it any more: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Push-Notifications-Won-t-Stop-Even-When-Turned-Off/td-p/17508... 

The issue seemed to be fixed but today I have received a bunch more push notifications and had one of my cameras trigger several times based on audio (even though it is set to motion only).

If the issue was fixed, it seems like the bug has been reintroduced today....

45 REPLIES 45
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

It looks like the previous thread on this was closed as I can't reply on it anymore: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Push-Notifications-Won-t-Stop-Even-When-Turned-Off/td-p/17508...

The issue seemed to be fixed for me previously, but today I have received a bunch more push notifications and one of my cameras has triggered recording based on audio (even though it's set to motion only). Looks like the bug is back... 

mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Apologies for the duplicate post. I went to post my message and it gave me an error saying I had to correct the highlighted issues with my post, but nothing was highlighted, so I started my message again. Turns out the first message did post and this one is now a duplicate. Doesn't seem to be any way I can delete the thread either.

Please refer to this post instead: https://community.arlo.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/Push-Notifications-Won-t-Stop-Even-When-Turned-Off/m-p/175302...

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

Hey mgbnet,

Just to make sure, are you receiving push notifications from your Arlo camera when you have audio detection turned off through your mode settings? And which camera(s) are you experiencing this issue from? And what phone device and Arlo app version are you using/running?

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
here's another screenshot. I've been getting these ridiculous notifications again and again and again. they are turned off in my settings in the app. it is not a problem on my end. fix it!
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
and attached is a screenshot of the exact camera sending these notifications. as you can clearly see the notifications are turned off. yet they still keep coming and bothering me endlessly nonstop.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
and attached is a screenshot from today. I am plagued with notifications and they won't stop. nowhere in the settings do I have audio notifications turned on. this is completely unacceptable and it needs to be fixed.
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

are you receiving push notifications from your Arlo camera when you have audio detection turned off through your mode settings?

- Correct. I have audio detection turned off on all my cameras.

- I also have push notifications turned off

And which camera(s) are you experiencing this issue from?

- I think it is just my Arlo Pro cameras that are exhibiting triggering on audio. I have not seen it on my Arlo Q or regular Arlo cameras.

And what phone device and Arlo app version are you using/running?

- iPhone, running iOS13.3, Arlo app version 2.12.2 (1925)

It is happening infrequently but the pattern seems to be that when one camera does a rogue audio trigger, it also causes a bunch of notifications to be sent. This morning it triggered one recording based on audio, and I immediately received 121 notifications.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
well it looks like the moderator once again merged post without notifying anybody or asking anybody.

once again I must say that this problem was not solved.

and even more infuriating, the support ticket I had open, they sent me a message saying "oh your problem is solved this ticket will close soon". Even though I have never ever said anything about this problem being solved.

THIS PROBLEM IS NOT SOLVED!!!

I don't appreciate the moderator just getting on here and deleting posts, combining posts, LOCKING UNSOLVED THREADS, and whitewashing everything to make it look like there isn't a serious server-side problem.

this is obviously a server-side problem and it needs to be fixed!

why am I paying for your service if you are bothering me every 5 seconds while I'm trying to work?

if your customer service isn't going to answer the most basic support request, then why shouldn't I return every single camera and base station?
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
to "Jessica"

just as many of us have told you multiple times, on the other thread that you've locked:

Q:
Just to make sure, are you receiving push notifications from your Arlo camera when you have audio detection turned off through your mode settings?
A:
I provided a screenshot showing that they're turned off

Q:
And which camera(s) are you experiencing this issue from?
A:
I've already told you it's an Arlo Pro 2

Q:
And what phone device and Arlo app version are you using/running?
A:
as stated before, it's the latest Android version for Android 10.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
since the forum moderator just keeps locking posts and whitewashing everything, i've been trying to get answers through an official support ticket. however, the person on the other side just keeps sending me copy-paste responses and is refusing to escalate the support ticket up higher to someone who can actually help.

today, they had the audacity to tell me "advise you to please remove and re-sync the affected camera".

what a joke!!!

we've already proven it isn't on the user side, it is an error on the server side!

i would normally humor this person and re-sync the camera, however, the camera is mounted 10+ feet in the air, and the base station is hidden away 8+ feet in the air. i'm not going to drag out a ladder, and clear-off and move two workbenches out of the way, just to humor a "tech" who has no idea what they are talking about.

THIS IS A SERVER SIDE ISSUE!

GET IT FIXED!
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
attached screenshot is my app version.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
attached screenshot is my device version (Arlo Pro 2)
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Just to update everyone who might read this thread, I received a private message from JessicaP (Arlo Moderator) on Tuesday asking for me to send logs if I saw this behavior happen again.

It's not Thursday and it has not happened yet. However, I am not considering this issue resolved until Arlo confirm that they rectified the issue. I do not want this thread locking or marking as resolved if people are still experiencing it, even if I do not see the intermittent issue again. If anyone reading does experience it, here's the instructions JessiaP gave me:

If you experience the issue again on your iPhone, could you provide a timestamp of when it happened and also provide the app log to us? You can provide us the logs by tapping on the Arlo bird three times and tap on "Email logs" and send it over to askarlo@arlo.com. Also be sure to include your community username so we know we received it.

Note: I think Jessica means to tap on the Arlo title in the app, as the bird icon is nowhere inside the app itself.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary

Another odd update: The moderator actually unsubscribed me to this thread!!!  Completely insane...

She sent me the same email as the person mentioned above,

asking me to take the log file and email it to the GENERIC SUPPORT EMAIL.

They didn't even give us a legit email, or a case #, to attach the file to.

This problem is not solved!

Just today, I got more audio push notifications while i was out working.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
Screenshot attached. Problem is still not solved.
mgbnet
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another update. 

Just had one of my cameras trigger again on audio, even through they are all set to motion trigger only.

I also received notifications of 464 new video recordings, even through I have notifications turned off!!!!!

As requested by JessicaP, I have sent logs from my iPhone to askarlo@arlo.com, even though I am fairly convinced this is a server side issue. The camera triggering incorrectly has to be a server side issue as I see it happening even when I only view my recordings via the web app.

This really needs to get fixed.

JessicaP
Arlo Employee Retired

We've raised this issue to the development team and will provide an update when we have more information.

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
Issue still not solved. Screenshot attached.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
Finally got an answer on my support ticket.

They are saying that the "Arlo Smart" settings override the mode settings. So, no matter what I have the mode set to, doesn't matter. Arlo Smart will override the mode and send the annoying notifications anyway. How stupid.

Below is copy/paste from support:
"
I understand that you did not create a cross-trigger mode in your camera. Upon further checking, you are under Arlo Smart Premier plan. If you turned on audio alerts (Smoke/CO Alarm or All Other Audio) in Arlo Smart Notifications, you can’t turn off the Detects Audio setting when creating a mode for your Arlo device. The Detects Audio setting must be on when any audio alerts are turned on to ensure that your Arlo camera wakes up when there is a sound, such as an active alarm. With this, you may try the following troubleshooting steps as laid out below:

To turn off the Detects Audio setting:

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
2. Tap or click Settings > Smart Notifications.
3. Select the device for which you want to turn off Detects Audio.
4. In the Audio Alerts section, deselect Smoke/CO Alarm and All Other Audio settings.
5. Return to Settings.
6. Tap or click Smart Notifications, and deselect Detects Audio.

When any audio alerts are turned on, Push Notifications must be turned on to ensure that your Arlo camera sends notifications. Arlo cameras use battery power every time they record, so it’s important that you’re aware when you have an audio alert option(s) turned on.

To turn off the Push Notifications setting:

1. Launch the Arlo app or log in to your Arlo account at my.arlo.com.
2. Tap or click Settings > Smart Notifications.
3. Select your Arlo device.
4. In the Audio Alerts section, deselect Smoke/CO Alarm and All Other Audio.
5. Tap or click Mode.
6. Tap or click the pencil icon of the mode you want to edit and clear Push Notifications checkbox.
"
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
HOWEVER!!!

screenshot attached.

my "Arlo Smart" is turned off
for the audio notifications

so support just gave me another pointless and unhelpful answer.

TO CLARIFY:
MY SMART AUDIO ALERTS ARE ALREADY TURNED OFF.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
STILL NOT SOLVED!!!

Screenshot attached.
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@MotoRider42HC wrote:
STILL NOT SOLVED!!!

If you haven't tried removing the base and camera from your account, and setting it up again, then it is time to try that.  

MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
Absolutely not! That is a copy-paste answer from someone reading a script who doesn't know what they are talking about, and isn't intelligent enough to understand the issue.

The tech support person who finally contacted me from a higher-level, said it was a backend (server-side) issue and they still haven't fixed it. I will screenshot and add for everyone to see.

Let me make myself clear, I will not move two work benches, climb up on a ladder to the very top of my building, and take down a camera that has been working perfectly fine for over a year. That is sheer stupidity. The issue is not my camera, not my base station, and not my account.
MotoRider42HC
Luminary
Luminary
Attached is the email from upper-level tech support, admitting it is a server-side issue that hasn't been solved yet.