Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Power Adapter for Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 19 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 5 In Conversation
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Does anyone know where to buy the power adapter for the Arlo Pro ? And by keeping it plugged in, will that also keep the battery charged at all times ? Thanks

19 REPLIES 19
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You need a dual voltage adapter ( 5v / 9v ) of the qualcomm type to use and charge the Pro..

(without the battery, any usb 5v adapter @ 1.5a will work fine but not charge.)

With the proper adapter you can leave it plugged in all the time and it will show 100% charge but really sits at 80% so the battery doesn't get damaged log term

like this one ( have not tested );

https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Qualcomm-Certified-Adaptive-Charger/dp/B01BHEFA8O/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8...

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks so much for this information !! Have you tried using a power adapter on the Arlo Pro by chance ? Are you fairly sure this one would work with the Arlo Pro ? I much prefer having a camera that has both wall power and a battery for backup (like the Piper cameras do), but it seems that Arlo doesn't sell the aadapters and only sells charging packs. I very much appreciate you help. Thank you

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As i said, I did not test... but the specs are right and the cable is correct to fit... your the tester for everyone else  🙂

and Amazon take returns easy

crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks. I just ordered it with the cameras and will let you know how it works. Thanks so much for your help. BTW- Do you use these arlo pro cameras? If so, your experience- positive or negative ?

TomMac wrote:

As i said, I did not test... but the specs are right and the cable is correct to fit... your the tester for everyone else  🙂

Thanks. I just ordered it with the cameras and will let you know how it works. Thanks so much for your help. BTW- Do you use these arlo pro cameras? If so, your experience- positive or negative ?

TomMac wrote:

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

All you need is any Quick Charge 2.0 or 3.0 compatible charger but I would buy a branded one rather than not. Just search Amazon and the reviews will speak volumes.

I have tried 3 different 2.0 and one 3.0 charger and they all work fine. However if you buy from Amazon or some stores and it does not work then just simply return it in exchange for a different brand or refund.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you use these with the Arlo Pro cameras ? Are you happy with these cameras ?

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

crw wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. Do you use these with the Arlo Pro cameras ? Are you happy with these cameras ?

I tried them all out of curiosity when I received my first Pro Camera to confirm that they charge and that the cameras run off them ok with and without the battery in place. I do not run them permanently plugged in simply because it is not practical to run cables to where they are all situated and if I was going to do this then I would probably go with the Q or something different that I would set to simply record constantly but the beauty of the Arlo is that you can put it anywhere without the worry of cables etc.

Am I happy with them, yes extremely! I have had the Arlo for a few years now, all setup with Modes and Schedules all configured. It is really a set-up and forget system (until you need to change batteries of course). Any 'movement' or now with the Pro 'noise' you will be notified and can act accordingly. As long as you do some thorough testing when setting it all up and check them occasionally you really are good to go. Saying that I do enjoy changing things around occasionally but then I enjoy doing stuff like this lol.

I must add though that I have not had a single issue with any of my Cameras, Base Stations, connectivity etc... which has obviously added to the overall experience.

I ditched Arlo! As a Company they hold their Customers/Us in complete contempt! We beta test producs for them, the products only work properly for ~70% of the time at best!

If you are serious about your home or work security then look elsewhere! Get a ip Camera System with an NVR and some Blink XT cameras to cover the places you cannot run a cable to. You will NEVER regret moving away from Arlo!
crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thank you Mark. Very glad to hear that. Hopefully I will have the same positive experience. I had the Pipers in the past and they were a constant problem. I didn't buy the Q because I like having the batteries in there as well as a backup in case of a power failure 

crw wrote:

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

@crw You could always purchase the cameras from Amazon or similar with a no quibble returns policy. If you are not happy with them then simply return them Smiley Happy

crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Agreed. Thanks again. 

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

crw wrote:

Yes, I have the Pro along with the others..

The Pro cameras has an improved detection PIR over the older version, and works really well.

crw
Apprentice
Apprentice

Another question if I may : Do you use any smart plugs with your Arlo Pro so as to turn on a lamp when there is motion detected by the Arlo ? If so, do you find it works well, and which smart plug do you recommend ? Thanks again

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

crw wrote:

Another question if I may : Do you use any smart plugs with your Arlo Pro so as to turn on a lamp when there is motion detected by the Arlo ? If so, do you find it works well, and which smart plug do you recommend ? Thanks again

Sorry, no... I have a smart phone ,smart tv, but I don't want my home smarter than me ! 🙂

( these devices may become  become self-aware )

grandpawmoses
Guide
Guide

Just an FYI. 

I use these power adapters and while they do work, you need to trim the plastic at the connector just a little for the connector to fully plug into the camera. Also, my cameras point downward and the connector would hit the wall (with the magnetic wall mounts). The solution was to mount the camera upside download. A power adapter with a 90 degree micro USB connector would be nice solution. 

The blue fully charged camera light stays on. If I remove the battery, will it go off?

MarkC
Luminary
Luminary

grandpawmoses wrote:

Just an FYI. 

I use these power adapters and while they do work, you need to trim the plastic at the connector just a little for the connector to fully plug into the camera. Also, my cameras point downward and the connector would hit the wall (with the magnetic wall mounts). The solution was to mount the camera upside download. A power adapter with a 90 degree micro USB connector would be nice solution. 

The blue fully charged camera light stays on. If I remove the battery, will it go off?

Very good point, especially if using the magnetic wall mount. There are hundreds of different Micro-USB cables out there, it is just a matter of finding one with a connector small enough or as you say a right angled one that will not interfere with the mounting. Failing that you may have to look at an alternative to the magnetic wall mount of course.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The b?He charged LED can be turned off in Settings, My Devices, your camera.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Blue, not b?He
grandpawmoses
Guide
Guide

Thanks. I remember reading that in the manual now. 

You hear so much about battery charging fires that I might just leave the batteries out. If my power goes out, my UPS is only good for about 10 minutes anyway.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The Pro charger is smarter than most.  WHen charged in the camera, the battery actually only goes to 80% ACTUAL charge although the display is 100%.  That not only helps maintain battery life/health but also helps minimize heat issues.  The use of Qualcomm's quick charge technology may be part of this, too.

Short answer - I wouldn't worry about battery fires in this case.