Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Power Adapter for Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 2 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
BobMcID
Initiate
Initiate

I want to connect my Arlo Pro outside and connect it to an outdoor, weatherproof outlet.  The outlet is covered by a box with a plastic cover that is actually quite tall.  However, the Arlo power adapter is too tall with the USB cable plugged in.  Any suggestions on alternative USB power adapters that might be shorter?  I can accept a bit more width.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The USB port isn't designed to be used outdoors except for the solar panel currently. The previous outdoor power supply was recalled due to water getting in the connection. This is a major risk if you use the white ribbon cable and could start a fire.

Any USB charger can provide the 5V to power the camera but only the Arlo charger should be used to charge the battery in the Arlo Pro. The charger detects the camera and ramps up output voltage to 9V to charge the battery. Even my Samsung qualcomm fast charger, that is supposed to do the same wasn't quite high enough a voltage to charge the Arlo battery

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
steve_t
Master Master
Master

The USB port isn't designed to be used outdoors except for the solar panel currently. The previous outdoor power supply was recalled due to water getting in the connection. This is a major risk if you use the white ribbon cable and could start a fire.

Any USB charger can provide the 5V to power the camera but only the Arlo charger should be used to charge the battery in the Arlo Pro. The charger detects the camera and ramps up output voltage to 9V to charge the battery. Even my Samsung qualcomm fast charger, that is supposed to do the same wasn't quite high enough a voltage to charge the Arlo battery

BobMcID
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the info.  I'll run on batteries until the weatherproof solution is available.  I hope it is shorter.