Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Plugging in charger shut down my laptop!

Discussion stats
  • 1 Reply
  • 0 Likes
  • 2 In Conversation
Kaiju
Tutor
Tutor

This morning before leaving for a 4th of July event I've now missed, I plugged in my second camera. The app told me to use an Arlo charger only-- that's the only charger I use. I followed all of the steps on discussion boards about removing the battery and putting it back in. I also plugged the charger into my laptop to see if that would make a difference vs. plugging it into the wall. When I did that, my laptop shut down and immediately went into sleep mode. 

I called tech support and they had me disconnect the base station, add everything back, etc. The only thing that worked was taking the battery out of the camera, plugging the charger in without the battery, and then adding the battery back in with the cable still attached. But the first time I tried to plug the charger in while on the phone, I plugged it into a USB port on my Toshiba laptop and the laptop immediately shut off. It would not turn back on at all. Only when I took the battery out of the laptop and connected the laptop charger did it come back to life, but now I'm concerned things could be damaged. The rep told me the camera charger would have no effect on the laptop but that is 100% untrue. These issues happened immediately upon plugging in the camera charger. For about 10 minutes I thought I lost my laptop completely. 

The 4th of July is an especially important day to have home security so I wasn't going to leave without Arlo working. I'm trying to find a way to purchase an Arlo system for family members with a baby and pets who were terrorized by a recent burglary in which addicts tore apart their house and left a faucet running. But do I dare buy them a system with this kind of drama? Geofencing has never worked. An Arlo camera not recognizing its own charger ruined holiday plans and zapped my laptop. Even trying to get onto this forum, which I've been on before, took about 10 tries because it didn't recognize my longtime email address. I feel like I'm only getting half of what I paid for. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As to the laptop....the camera draws to much current for a regular USB port like in the laptop...it shut down so as not to damage the port....use the ac adapter only

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

As to the laptop....the camera draws to much current for a regular USB port like in the laptop...it shut down so as not to damage the port....use the ac adapter only

Morse is faster than texting!