Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Why would a data center issue cause only pixelation with Arlo Pro cameras and not Arlo wirefree ones?

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
Maybe something to do with how it uploads or compresses the data. Remember the Pro handles audio and video so it could be something to do with that. Who knows, Netgear/Arlo doesn't obviously.
mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice

I also agree with what manofice and MrWTF posted, this is either a hardware issue or something on their end. It is not our network or wifi interference. I have two support tickets on-going right now with no resolution. I have donate all of my pixelated videos. No amount of re-syncing, battery removal, re-booting, moving cameras, moving base stations, changing to best video quality, changing wifi channels, speed tests etc is fixing this. Despite what JamesC or jguerat or the support people say. Just an FYI I posted some YouTube videos a few pages back showing an original camera in the same location with ZERO pixelation compared with my Pro camera in the same spot. Here they are again:

Original camera, zero issues:

Pro camera, pixelation all videos:

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Same situation as me. Can I ask which base station you have?

mykalikai
Apprentice
Apprentice
The original with 4 cameras, and then I bought a Pro camera.
steve_t
Master Master
Master

Same set up as me. I'm so scared of forking out for a Pro base and more Pro cams if they're gonna be like this

fuzzypixel
Guide
Guide
They will be. I have the new base and pro cameras (hardware revision H8), bought as and package a couple of weeks ago, and I see the issue on and llin@doctor-amy.com here of them constantly. Two of the cameras show full connectivity bars (and one shows two bars), doesn't matter if they hooked up to power or not (two of them are wired for power).
steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

We just had an attempted break in to my car the other night and luckily the Arlo original cameras caught everything.  It lead me to upgrade to 4 new Arlo Pro cameras because I do not want to risk the batteries running out.  I am having the same issue and Arlo support was NO help.  The original Arlo cameras work great, but the 4 new Arlo Pro camera quality is garbage!!!  The videos are so pixilated and they are even worse when there is motion.  A terrible lag in the video and anything that moves drags.  I spent an hour with Arlo support troubleshooting but I kept trying to tell them the original Arlo cameras were positioned a lot farther than the new Arlo Pro cameras and the image quality on the old Arlo cameras is still great.  I am running at 50 MBPS so we know it's not the network speed.  I am at full wifi bars on all cameras since I am running a commercial quality router in my home office so we know that's not the issue either.  I am searching for answers too...HELP NETGEAR!!!

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

It is April 23, 2017 and the Arlo Pros I just bought are STILL having this issue.  The old Arlo cameras worked great and were positioned in the same exact locations.  I just expanded our security system to include 4 Arlo Pros which suffer from laggin, pixilation and artifacts to motion so bad that the new cameras are rendered useless.  Arlo Support promised me Level 2 support would contact me, so far...NOTHING.  I am growing very tired of this issue and after spending almost $900 on the entire system I am thinking about trashing it for somethign else...Netgear apparently has NO FIX as of 4/23/2017!

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

It's April 23, 2017 and the problem is STILL not fixed...I have the same exact issue where I can setup an Arlo Pro next to the original Arlo and the Arlo Pro quality doesn't even come close.  The video lag, pixilation and motion artifacts render the Arlo Pro useless.

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice

James are you even reading the posts???  I had Arlo original cameras with no issue, I "upgraded" to the Arlo Pro and the video has distortion, lag and artifacts to the point where the cameras are USELESS!!!

I relocated the Arlo Pro cameras one by one to within 3 feet of the Netgear base station and STILL have issues. All 4 of my Arlo original cameras have ZERO issue and the farthest one is 63 feet away from the base station an dpicking up a signal that is behind 4 interior walls and an exterior brick wall. I troubleshooted by shutting off every other wireless related product in our home and the Arlo Pro STILL has issue no matter how close you get to the base station.

I wish Netgear support would acknowledge the issue instead of conveniently deflecting the blame towards netwrk interference when it's clearly NOT the case.

matthcg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Just wanted to post that I have the same issues as described above. Seems like every video now has frozen frames, pixelization, motion artifacts, etc. Please fix.

underdog2003
Star
Star
I bought the pro on Black Friday of last year. The taste I got dealing with customer service and their lack of accountability with this issue ( particularly with them sending me a replacement that was even worse) I returned it to Best Buy where I bought it from. Hindsight being 20/20, I'm so glad I did. I've never seen anything like this with a large company. Who knows if this will ever get fixed. It needs to hit mainstream media apparently for someone to wake up over there.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I just don't see it being a HW issue soley because we all had those few days where the issue cleared up, and it didn't just clear up for one of us, we all saw it clear up. AND some days are better than others. I'm thinking the Arlo Pro's just upload/compress/distribute more amounts of data and in a different way than the original arlo's and mixed with a international datacenter...well...

ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
I just bought Arlo Pro and I ran into the same issues, lagging video and ghost images and my signal is shown either as 2 or 3 connectivity bars. I assume the connectivity as 2 or 3 bars range should be good enough for Arlo Pro to communicate with the base but the video is lagging, ghost image, and pixelated. The video in the usb storage is very much the same bad quality. I have Fios 50/50 up and down. Interet Connection shouldnot be an issue here. Anyone in this thread found the solution to resolve it? I am about to exchange or return mine.
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice
I would return it if I were you.. that's what I plan on doing.. nothing but problems that they cannot fix.. I have had a support case going for over 1 month
ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
Thank you for the advice. I will return it before the returning period ran out.
Dustin278
Apprentice
Apprentice
Yes to my knowledge everyone on this forum has had issues that have never been resolved..
jsm174
Guide
Guide

Not to side track but I've been using the Pro's since they came out. I have 5 cameras: 4 are H6's, 1 is an H7.

The H6's have always been good.

The H7, on four separate instances, has gone from ~90% to dead. No email warning about battery, etc. Just offline and stone dead.

I round-robin the batteries during charging, so I know they are all good.

With the last firmware 1.0.92.0.1_11504, (knock on wood) the H7 has been running for a few weeks now. 

Anyway, back to the original topic, I can probably say that out of all this time, only a hand few of videos have ever been pixelated. Just like what has been demonstrated in this thread.

They seem pretty solid, and made it through a cold winter and Blizzard of 2017.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Maybe it's just a problem for H8?

steeler560
Apprentice
Apprentice
I've lost all faith in the Arlo system for security. A week ago yesterday we caught someone breaking into my car in the middle of the night because of my Arlo cameras. The break in led me to "upgrade" to 4 Arlo Pro cameras. Since doing that things went completely down hill. System goes offline constantly, the video pixilation, cameras not recording.

I had a call scheduled with Level II support tonight and after running through the bull**bleep** gammot of troubleshooting they finally admit that this IS a known issue and it's widespread. Netgear engineers know if the issue but don't have a solution yet. I'm not waiting around "hoping" they fix this. Time to return to Best Buy for something more reliable.
ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
I am going to return mine this WEEKEND: (
pcuser321
Aspirant
Aspirant
U should return it back even has full bar it randomly pixel or ghost video lag
ArloPro15
Guide
Guide
That is what happened to my cameras and I notice some times the motion sensor doesn't work at all when the lighting change during day light.
superben79
Apprentice
Apprentice

i got 1 arlo pro to cover an area where my nest outdoor cam cannot reach (no power outlet). the video quality from the motion detection cannot reach the quality from nest. when the arlo detected motion and started recording, video was highly pixlated for the 1st 2 to 3 seconds then it was good. i suppose the arlo needs to boot/start the recording mode, but it is the 1st few seconds that the image is normally crucial. Since nest records 24x7 so i dont think nest will have that issue.