Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

450 REPLIES 450
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
If it is wifi interference then they didn't build these correctly to shield it. I really believe they can fix this with firmware but it doesn't seem like netgear has taken accountability with this. They should be collecting samples from all of us or admit what their engineers think.
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
I expieremce the issue on pretty much all cameras but it isn't extreme, but it does happen.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Interference likely isn't a shielding issue but one dealing with the transmission of data via WiFi. Whether this is the actual culprit requires all other possibilities to be ruled out.
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

I too am having some pixelization as well on all 4 of my Pro cameras.   My upload speed is 2.5mb normally.    My local USB recordings arent showing the pixelization so I believe that means it is more likely that it is Netgear's servers or intermittenent ISP upload congestion.

jbaker8390
Star
Star

@sharkcom my local USB recordings show the artifacting and ghosting. I'm 100% confident that this is a Arlo Pro isolated issue, I never had this issue exhibit itself in the first gen cameras.

SteveWhite
Apprentice
Apprentice
This is NOT, and I repeat NOT primarily a signal strength issue. Interference may in some cases play a factor but it's not a main driver. I have noticed that in every case where I have frozen video or extreme pixelization or artifacting, the camera audio continues to play out uninterrupted. If the camera was losing connectivity the audio stream would also be affected.
AUTX
Star
Star

I think we should start posting our clips to Youtube as "Arlo Pro video issues".  Maybe Netgear will step up their efforts to research and resolve the issue.

2017-01-10_10-10-40.jpg

robsss
Star
Star

Wanted to give a quick update. I borrowed 2 Arlo Pro cameras from my brother. All I did was replace my 2 bad cameras with the 2 borrowed ones. Been up for 2 days and they seem to be working better. I still see occasional pixilation, but a lot better than what it was.

If the video stays as is, I think I can live with it. Will keep the forum updated on how it is working.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

robsss: Are the rev's the same? All H7's? Same firmware? If their like for like...and one is worse than the others...signs point to hardware issue to me.

robsss
Star
Star

All of the Cameras were H7 and purchased about the same time. One set from the local Best Buy, the other set mail order from Best Buy.

I did not note the firmware version of the older cameras, but all of them had a recent update. So I will assume they are on the new firmware version.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

I see occasional ghosting/pixelation from my cameras as well. I'm also an I.T. Engineer and I've worked extensively on testing, position, distance to base, etc. I've moved the base and tested and it has had no effect either way.

Here are a couple examples of what I see:

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/FC70574D79EC0568_201701  

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/E1AA3316E4EBBA99_201701

This is from two different cameras.  I have 5 total.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Kmiller8821: those possums have good balance, LOL. Your video's sum up the issue perfectly.

kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

Yes, they sure do. lol.  It's the first time I've picked up any wildlife on my arlo cameras, that was definitely interesting to see.  I'll be checking with my neighbor to make sure his trash cans are sealed out there so we're not feeding those things, we need them to go away.  

manofice wrote:

Kmiller8821: those possums have good balance, LOL. Your video's sum up the issue perfectly.

sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Kmiller8821- that is exactly the same issue I am experiencing on a couple of my cameras as well.   I can live with it for now but wonder if I should try to swap them out.    I will switch around the cameras to different locations and see if the issue follows the camera.

Hagasan41
Star
Star

I have experienced the same issue on one of my cameras.  The lack of customer service from Netgear and their slow action to address issues is really concerning. 

80sTiger
Star
Star

After weeks of things working perfectly, now I'm getting pixelated video and stuttering. People walking across the field of view, etc - stopping as the video plays and then showing up a few feet further when the video "comes back". Happening almost every time now when it hasn't happened at all previously. Nothing else changed on my network. Excellent WiFi reception. All bars.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso
One of my original thoughts was that it's their infrastructure.
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Me 2
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
, seems to be expecially bad today for some reason
markbmoore
Aspirant
Aspirant

I'm having the same issue. It is only happening on one out of the three cameras I have. The camera shows full wifi signal strength and battery is fully charged. When I view live video, the issue usually doesn't happen but it happens on about 1/3 of the motion-detection video captures. Video will have artifacting or be frozen for a few seconds or show a green bar across the picture for part of the video.  Audio plays fine the entire time.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
The only way I've solved this problem was to move the cameras closer to the base all my cameras have three bars the max I can go is about 50 feet and all looks good at that range but when I move them Father apart from the base I have all kinds of problems
pcuser12345
Apprentice
Apprentice
Firmware basestion and camera firmware is outdated
Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
Where'd you come up with that one
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Pretty sure all our camera's and base is up to date.

Johnny290
Mentor
Mentor
That would be the first thing we would check