Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

jjs4653
Star
Star

Has anyone experienced pixelating video in the first 2-3 seconds of the recorded video.  It happens every time for me.  It has great reception  full Wifi bars... and does not happen with my original Arlo camera.. just with the new Pro.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue has been resolved with the latest firmware update. Be sure your Arlo Pro camera is up to date with the latest firmware: Release Notes – Arlo Pro Camera 1.092.0.4_13099 – 10th July 2017

JamesC

View solution in original post

450 REPLIES 450
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the resolutions the same? What is your upload speed?

jjs4653
Star
Star

upload is 12 MPS..... never an issue with my older original Arlo... and that is now farther away on my back patio.. no issues at all... just iwth

the new Arlo PRO---has full Wifi  bars--very good reception

jjs4653
Star
Star

THe quality after the pixelation seems fine

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Might be worth opening a case: https://www.arlo.com/en-us/support/contact.aspx
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

jjs4653,

Does this occur on motion detection recordings or manual recordings (or both)? Do you have more than one Arlo Pro that is behaving this way?

JamesC

Jayb5
Guide
Guide
I have the exact same issue. I have 2 pro cameras that behave this way. The first couple of seconds will be pixelated and the video will pause for a couple of seconds before resuming. The audio is fine and will play normally the whole time.
Jayb5
Guide
Guide
Also wanted to add that there is a noticeable lag in motion detection even while adjusting the sensitivity settings. The pixelation, pause/stuttering of the video, and lag in motion detection has started within the past couple of days. When I look back on the recorded videos of 6 or 7 days ago, everything was fine. Could this be a server issue on Netgears end with all the new people buying the pro cameras?
AUTX
Star
Star

I have the same issue.  I have a camera in a tree in my front yard and its field of view caputres the front of my house.  Initally my recordings caputred my front door opening (from inside), me stepping out, locking the front door and walking down path to my car.  Now the camera records me half way down the path to my car.  I purchased a new better, faster, stronger router(ASUS RT‑AC3100 )from Amazon to see if this will fix the lag.  

jjs4653
Star
Star

I just got a replacement Arlo Pro camera and it still pixelates---there is something wrong with this camera--my old Arlo which is now much farther away from the base station still works well with no issues.  

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Or you have either a WiFi strength issue or an upload speed one. Look for commonalities rather than individual ones.
Memcor77
Guide
Guide
I'm having the same issues. Video pauses but the sound is still recording. And the video is pixation. I own 2 arlo pros and it's been doing it since they came out. Wifi strength is good, and this didn't happen with the regular arlo cameras.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

What's your upload speed tested by speedtest.net?  Are the quality settings the same for both the Pro and original wireless cameras? What happens if you swap a Pro and original camera position temporarily?

jjs4653
Star
Star

15 MPS at least.   Been through all this with customer service--they sent a new camera but it performs the same.  My previous arlo cameras all work just fine... Doesn't matter where I put it, how close to the base station, etc.. it still happens.  Waiting for firmware update hopefully.  Otherwise will be returning camera

Jayb5
Guide
Guide
So I checked my hard drive last night as I am also recording to an external hard drive through the hub and compared it to the videos saved on the cloud through Arlo. While there is slight pixelation on the hard drive videos, there is no stuttering or pauses. The same videos stored on the cloud have the stuttering, pauses, and pixelation.

Does this indicate slow upload speed or something on netgear's server end?

My router is located on the opposite side of the house so what I did was connect a powerline network adapter to the arlo base and located the arlo base closer to the camera. I typically get 60 Mbps download and 5-10 Mbps upload from my router but my arlo base station is connected via powerline on the other end of the house.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Since you're viewing from the server, it could be either. Downloads video and use it as comparison. If it's OK, then its the video stream FROM the servers for viewing.
jjs4653
Star
Star

Just did what you said--and the downloaded video still pixelating exactly the same whether it's from the Arlo Server or downloaded to my computer.. I think that makes it an Arlo problem of some-kind

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I agree. It must be the overall connection between the base and server that's causing the issue. Nothing we can do but it's good knowing the local copy is better.
jjs4653
Star
Star

I have found the local copy to be exactly the same as the server copy--no changes.. still pixelates on both

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That would lilel be a connection issue between the camera and base. How far away is the camera and what walls, etc. does it have to pass through?
jjs4653
Star
Star

the base station is in my garage no more than 20 feet from camera--and the doors are open a lot and it still pixelates... My old Arlo camera never had an issue with this--none... so it's definitely something with the new Arlo Pro Camera--

i put my old Arlo camera much farther away on the porch and it still works like a charm--no issues

It's the camera or firmware

jbaker8390
Star
Star

Any update on this issue? I'm having extreme video artifacting as described from OP, I have 200 mbps down and 100 mbps up so it's not an ISP issue. This is unacceptable for the price point.

jjs4653
Star
Star

No updates... I am surprised more people are not complaining about it--it happens all the time with mine

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
That may well be because it's an issue only to particular cameras. You don't have to li e with it - replace them at the store or open a case for replacement.
jjs4653
Star
Star

I did get a replacement and it is exactly the same problem... My older Arlo is not an issue