Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

PIR motion detection through glass/windows

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
JaiiHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, everyone

this is my first time here.

I recently got '2 arlo pro cameras with base' model. I was really excited and happy when I tested the cameras as soon as I got back home. 

And it didn't take long to be so disappointed with PIR motion detection not working through glasses and windows. I bought Arlo for my parked cars. They are parked across each other at indoor shared parking lot with security door. Recently both car got hit 3 times in total in 2 months while they were parked. And someone kept folding one of my cars mirrors. I kinda know who hit both cars and who's touching the mirrors but no proof. I've looked for dashcams but none lasts for a few days even with external battery pack. I put two cameras on the dashboards and pointing each others. And motion detection wasn't working...

So far i've had one question. Is there any way to make them work behind the windsheild? I've read quite a few posts and seems no. Then another idea came up. Video recording or snap shot every certain interval like time lapse. Of course some people thought about it too and there is no such controls for arlo series.

Now I am wondering what if any thief breaks into your house with a glass panel or some kind of glassy material cover or chothes, if those exsist, and covering himself.. I have a quite big fish tank with some fish in it. arlo didn't detect any movement though the glass wall.

I think I have to get Arlo Q instead but how to manage the power? What if I buy a 2000A/1000W power station and plug it on? Then how long will it last until recharging the battery pack. with 20 recordings/day because I am guessing less than 20 groups of people/day passing by.

I am so stuck here.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

i've had one question. Is there any way to make them work behind the windsheild?  

I think I have to get Arlo Q instead but how to manage the power?

There is no way to make the Pros work thru glass.... the Arlos and Pros use PIR detection which require a sense of IR to work... Glass ( most) blocks IR so it isn't going to work.

As to powering a Q camera... The Q camera runs off of a USB ac adapter at 5v... You could easily obtain a 12v car adapter with the same usb plug and power your Q camera that way.

Only things you may have to worry about is 1) range to your home wifi ( which the Q camera hooks into ) 2) good data thru put of your home wifi 3) in some cars the cigar sockets are turned off when the key is off so check this first.

Using a 12v adapter, the Q could easily run a few days and as long as the car is used on a normal basis, the battery would be recharged.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

i've had one question. Is there any way to make them work behind the windsheild?  

I think I have to get Arlo Q instead but how to manage the power?

There is no way to make the Pros work thru glass.... the Arlos and Pros use PIR detection which require a sense of IR to work... Glass ( most) blocks IR so it isn't going to work.

As to powering a Q camera... The Q camera runs off of a USB ac adapter at 5v... You could easily obtain a 12v car adapter with the same usb plug and power your Q camera that way.

Only things you may have to worry about is 1) range to your home wifi ( which the Q camera hooks into ) 2) good data thru put of your home wifi 3) in some cars the cigar sockets are turned off when the key is off so check this first.

Using a 12v adapter, the Q could easily run a few days and as long as the car is used on a normal basis, the battery would be recharged.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I measured my Q at 3 watts/11VA.  One thing to know is that the Q is always streaming so the number of recordings is likely immaterial as to overall current draw.

Based on loose assumptions, it would seem that a 1000VA UPS would last ~50 hours.  Plus or minus, of course.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

And a car battery usu is about 80-100 ahrs capacity , so agree with ^

JaiiHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks guys!!!

@TomMac, Using the car battery power cannot be my option since I store one of the car for most of time. And sometimes both will be stored when I am traveling a month or two. That was why I was pretty happy to hear about up to 6 months battery life..

@jguerdat, I thought maybe Q could work like Arlo pro that it sleeps when it is not detecting any movement but it is actually streaming 24/7 then. Lasting only 2~3 days cannot be my option either..

Thanks again.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

@TomMac, Using the car battery power cannot be my option since I store one of the car for most of time. And sometimes both will be stored when I am traveling a month or two. That was why I was pretty happy to hear about up to 6 months battery life..

Well other than adding another battery ( doesn't have to be a car battery ), you don't have much choice.

You could simply use a 12v gell cell with are about 7ahr and get at least a few days out of it...

Sorry but not much will work in your situation.

It actually sounds like you need a wired camera that is zoomed in on your vehicle from the home with a dvr type recorder.

As to the Q sleeping, not it does not do that as it is ac powered.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
The only other thing would be to mou nt the cameras external to the car.
JaiiHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks again guys,

@TomMac, Unfortunately, I live in a townhouse and am not allowed to install anything on the wall outside.

@jguerdat, I was actually thinking about putting camera somewhere underneath the front bumper or but I am not sure if there can be any legal issues against it. Will it be different from recording inside the car?? Plus I have to find a way to secure the camera especially Arlo pro comes with only magnet and standard tripod connector which is really handy for indoor use.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Installing under the bumper could be a creative solution but I'd want to remove it when driving.  Thus, install it when parked, remove it when driving.

JaiiHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat, Yes, I installed one of them  under the car which is stored for winter. It works great. I am using gopro accessory for now and will find a better arm for this.

It is wrapped under a DIY leather cover for now since one only sold at amazon.ca is over 100CAD which is under 30 at bestbuy. out of stock here. 

I thought it could be handy to have function for one motioin seosor to triger certain/all selected cameras recording. 

arlo_pro_under_the_car.jpg

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
Two cameras can work in conjunction with each other by using nested rules.

Cam1 detects motion and triggers Cam1
Cam1 detects motion and triggers Cam2
Cam2 detects motion and triggers Cam1
Cam2 detects motion and triggers Cam2

or any useful variation.
JaiiHan
Aspirant
Aspirant

@jguerdat, Thank you.

I was thinking about the way to trigger more than 2 or all by one motion sensor so I can still leave one inside the car and record both cameras, one underneath and one on dash borad so I can see from both directions.

Still it is very good function to know that one can trigger the other cam. It could be useful in some way. I cannot think of when I can use it though unless I use one only for motion detector.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Yup, one will be the motion detector.  Whether it can capture a useful video itself depends on how it's positioned.  A separate detector-only add-on would be a nice option so visit the Idea Exchange forum and add kudos to the appropriate posts there.