Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Operating Temperature of Arlo Pro

Discussion stats
  • 7 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
simpint
Aspirant
Aspirant

On the Arlo Pro product detail page (http://www.arlo.com/en-us/products/arlo-pro/default.aspx), the camera is featured operating in a snowy environment yet the technical specs read that the camera operates between 32F and 122F.

What gives?  Is this intentionally misleading or does the camera operate below freezing but perhaps performance is just degraded?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Pro operates down to -4F, at that temp the camera will shut down due to cold and will show a messg on the live view screen.

As to 32F, it may refer to the battery pack...tho it can work below -4f, You CAN NOT charge the pack if below freezing ( damage can occur ) and it will say battery must warm before charging

PS look at the tech spec on the page link given; You were looking at the BASE INFO

Cam specs on left, Base specs on right

Camera;

• Operating temperature

• -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C)

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

The Arlo Pro operates down to -4F, at that temp the camera will shut down due to cold and will show a messg on the live view screen.

As to 32F, it may refer to the battery pack...tho it can work below -4f, You CAN NOT charge the pack if below freezing ( damage can occur ) and it will say battery must warm before charging

PS look at the tech spec on the page link given; You were looking at the BASE INFO

Cam specs on left, Base specs on right

Camera;

• Operating temperature

• -4° to 113° F (-20° C to 45° C)

simpint
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thank you the quick response!

I live in an environment where it frequently dips below 32 but never gets to -4. Do you recommend getting rechargeable batteries for this, given the temperature consequences?
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

You posted in the Arlo Pro section...which ONLY has a rechargeable battery pack..no choice.

If you mean regular Arlo cameras , they work below -4f  and 4 cells... Netgear sells a rechargable kit of cells/charger ( and I do like them / own them )

Notrab
Apprentice
Apprentice

I wonder if they're upcoming outdoor charging solution (solar panel, etc.) will also have the higher temperature limit. That'd be disappointing.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
It's the battery, not the charging unit, that's the issue. Li-ion batteries shouldn't be charged below freezing temps.
simpint
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks again. So, as long as the Li-ion battery isn't chargING in below 32F temperature, I'm okay? ... knowing that the camera using the battery at below 32F would result in a faster DIScharge?
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Batteries lose capacity with low temps so they won't last as long.  It doesn't drop in half unless you're in REALLY cold temps but most folks aren't in those zones. My batteries in Rochester, NY are generally fine but it all depends on how much recording and live viewing goes on.  The more it's used in cold temps, the sooner you'll need to recharge.