Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 5 In Conversation
yeebee29
Star
Star

Hello, 

I recently purchased the Arlo Pro Security system with 3 Arlo Pro cameras. I have been testing it out for the past couple days, and it has been okay except for the times that it would disconnect from the internet. I have it connect to a wifi extender with an ethernet port. My router is too far back in the back of the house, that I think if I had the base there, and the siren does ring, it would sound more like an alarm clock instead of a siren alarm, hence why I connected it to a wifi-extender that is closer to the front of the house. Once it disconnects, I actually need to unplug and replug back the wifi-extender, and it would reconnect. However, if I am not home, I would not be able to do that, and the system would be down. 

My questions are:

- Does the Arlo Pro not work as well if it is plugged into a wifi-extender? Does it HAVE to be connected to the router?

- If it should work with wifi-extender, is there a preferred wifi-extender that is most capable for the Arlo Pro? 

Thanks in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The use of any recent WiFi extender should be fine. Test it's throughput by connecting a device to it and go to speedtest.net to verify it supports at least 1Mbps.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Is it a decent brand extender and router? Are they the same brand?

yeebee29
Star
Star

Thank you. I will give it a try tonight to test the speed of the one we have. It should (or I hope it should) because the advertised speed is 300Mbps. 

The current wifi extender we have was purchased from Amazon, and it is called: MSRM US302 WiFi Range Extender 300Mbps. It is not the same brand as our router. Our router is provided by the internet provider (Time Warner Cable/Spectrum Internet), so I am not sure what brand it is. 

Thank you both. I will update everyone on the result 🙂 

promoplus
Aspirant
Aspirant

I also am finding that my cameras disconnect and actually it says that Arlo Has disconnected from the router when in fact it is on.   My Arlo base station is connected via ethernet but every day many times I have to restart the app or relogin to the web arlo.netgear.com to reconnect/view my cameras   The occasional disconnects are frustrating and it appears to me that there is no video at that point in other words a hiccup in the camer = no recording.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

promoplus,

What is the LED behavior on the base station when you see this error message?

JamesC