Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Notification Sounds Not Working

Discussion stats
  • 12 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 In Conversation
gunnjac
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just purchased the Arlo pro 3 pack camera system and it was working fine the first 2 days. Now it won't chime alert me on my phone. It will only vibrate but not make any noise. I tried everything, turning on and off notifications, etc. Not sure what I can do. Please let me know. Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

you don;'t say what type of phone ...that's important !

If it's an android, you can change the alerts in the settings of the app ( three vertical dots, then notification )

If it's an apple, then it's in the settings of the phone only

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If you haven't already, you can also try restarting your phone.

gunnjac
Aspirant
Aspirant

It's a Google pixel XL. I tried those already and still doesn't work

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

If you have android 8 (oreo) check this.........

settings, notifications, arlo

make sure allow sound is switched on

Kozumasbullitt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Was there resolution to this problem? Both my phone and my wife's phone, Samsungs on Oreo, do not get audible notifications. My Iphone works just fine and I tested notifications on my old Note 4 running Marshmallow and everything works fine. I have isolated the no notification sound issue to Oreo but maybe I am missing something on my end.

ShayneS
Arlo Moderator
Arlo Moderator

Kozumasbullitt,

Have you tried to remove and reinstall the apps on your phones?

Kozumasbullitt
Aspirant
Aspirant

Yes. So it looks like my notifications and sound work, they are just very delayed. I am seeing about a 3 minute delay in notifications. I rebooted my base station and tried every possible solution that I have read in these forums. I have 4 devices running the Arlo app and the two devices running Android 8.0 are the devices with issues. My IOS device and Android 6.X device work just fine. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

I'd bet on Oreo's battery-savings settings for the app causing the delayed notifications. Open the phone settings for apps and choose Arlo. Click on the battery section and enable the option to run in the background and maybe tell it to not optimize for battery life.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

And in edition to what jguerdat said, try this as well.

Google settings > device maintenance > battery > Unmonitored apps > add Arlo

Check to make sure Arlo is not listed under always sleeping apps.

Kozumasbullitt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Thanks for the suggestions but I already have the Arlo app set to unmonitored. Does anyone who has Oreo have a trouble free system?
pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Yes. I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 8.0.0 Oreo and Samsung Experience 9.0. All my notification sounds work fine. I am even using a custom sound for Arlo, one I transfered to my phone.

I did have the double notification sound issue once but fixed that.

Edit --  sorry forgot you have sound now it's just delayed, the steps below can't hurt though, worth a try I guess. I have no problems with notifications on Oreo

• Uninstall the Arlo app
  • Go into Android "Settings", then "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and restore"
  • Down on the bottom there’s a toggle that’s says "Automatic restore", toggle that off
  • Next, tap on "Google Account" (in the same menu)
  • And at the top there’s a toggle that says, "Back up to Google Drive", toggle that off
  • It will give you a warning that you are about to delete your backup, "Confirm and delete"
  • Go back to the last screen
  • If you have a Samsung phone and are using a Samsung account for backup, turn that off and delete as well
  • Reboot the Phone
  • Sign into the phone and reinstall the Arlo app
  • Launch the Arlo app, sign in, go to settings, notifications, choose your notification tone, back out and then close the Arlo app
  • Go into Android "Settings", then "Cloud and Accounts", then "Backup and restore", turn back on Automatic Restore, your Google back up, and your Samsung backup (if needed)
  • Test your Arlo notification sound, hopefully you only have one sound now
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

While I don't normally use notifications, I did some testing recently with 2 devices running Oreo (Nexus 6 and Tab S3). I had no problems such as you are experiencing.