Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

ARLO PRO Bandwith drain?

Discussion stats
  • 6 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
macmeigard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Our home has ADSL 10 MBit/s connection to Internet (yes it's sad but true 🙂 ). About two weeks ago we started to notice a slow connection, we only get 2-3 Mbit/s now. After a bit of research I came to the conclusion that it's the Arlo Basestation that takes most of the bandwith (even in mode Disarmed), when turning the power off on the basestation the speed gets back to abount 8-9 Mbit/s. I haven't change anything or added anything to the network the past year and I'm starting to wonder if there has been a firmware upgrade that is making it happen or the basestation is broken?

Ideas?

6 REPLIES 6
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Are the Pro cams plugged int AC power?  Running CVR ?

The pro cams can peak at near 1Mbs when streaming.

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
macmeigard
Aspirant
Aspirant

No not connected to AC power and no CVR.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Does your router have a page where you can monitor network usage by device? That might be useful. You may also be able to use QoS (quality of service) to limit how much bandwidth can be used in both the upload and download directions. What is your up- and download speed as measured by speedtest.net when the base is off as well as on when it's acting up? That may give us a clue, too.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I assume the 10Mb is your down speed. What is your upload speed? That's the more important number as Arlo uploads video to the cloud as it records. You need a minimum of 1Mb up speed. If you are near that or lower you'll see degraded internet performance while your cameras are recording.

There really is no reason why the base would lower your down speed especially while the cameras are disarmed and doing nothing. Have you tried shutting off your modem, router, and base and then bring them back up one at a time, modem first, then router, then arlo base. See if that makes a difference.

macmeigard
Aspirant
Aspirant

I see the problem; I have 0,8 Mbit/s upstream 😕 But this hasn't been an issue before, why now I wonder?

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Might have been dumb luck. I would use QoS to reserve 100-200kbps of upload bandwidth so other things can work. I had to do that when I had a 1Mbps upload speed. In your router, go to QoS, and set it for a 600 or 700kbps limit. STart with 700 and see if that works ok - if not, try 600.