Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night vision off but video still in black and white

Discussion stats
  • 8 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I've got and arlo and arlo pro.

Both are set for night vision off but the Pro seems to be switching in and out depending on the light source.

The Arlo doesn't do that.

Any suggestions as to what's happening?

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/4535FEC414C6458A_201611

8 REPLIES 8
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

DAVE,

The cameras auto-switch from color to B/W when the light level falls off... it appears that the switch-over point was right at that level with the car headlight...it couldn't decide !  🙂

The real test is does it stay in B/W at night with the car lights off  which if dark enough should.

PS lots of reflection of light off car

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hey Tom,

I had the arlo recording from another angle and it didn't exhibit the same function. It stayed in color the entire time.

Maybe it was the angle or maybe the Pro is more sensitive.

Unfortunately it's a little annoying.

I'll try a test to see what happens if I have my motion sensor spotlights off and just the car lights on.

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

JP_Arlo
Tutor
Tutor
DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have not found a fix.

In fact the same thing happened again.

2 different angles. The Arlo recorder in color although the video was a little grainy. The Arlo Pro recorded in B&W and overxposed.

Once my spotlight comes on, it should be sufficient light not so change to black and white. I do not have night vision set to on for either camera.

Here are the videos. The color is the Arlo and it starts recording with a few seconds delay.

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/796BB343F7D611A8_201611

https://arlo.netgear.com/hmsweb/users/library/share/link/FEFAFB6CD39F3B94_201611

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you all for the details on this issue. I have escalated this topic for further investigation and will post an update once I have more information.

JamesC

DaveWoj
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Thanks James for prioritizing this.

Every night video recording on the Pro is in Black and white even with "night vision" off.

Every night video recording on the original Arlo is in color unless the "night vision" is on.

There are no details in black and white when spotlights come on making for washed out images which are basically unuseable.

JP_Arlo
Tutor
Tutor

I'm still having the same issue even with the new firmware.  Any update on this issue @JamesC?

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JP_Arlo,

If you are still experiencing this issue, please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link. If you have any additional questions/concerns feel free to private message me. I would be happy to help.

JamesC