Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 15 Replies
  • 1 Like
  • 6 In Conversation
babyduke
Star
Star

First the night vision was not working in one of the cameras outside then one day it started to work again.  Now the night vision on one of the inside ones don't work.  I tried opening the battery door, reset the arlo base station but it's still pitch dark.  I really hate Arlo Pro.  I should've returned this system and bought the 4 regular camera set for $350 from Best Buy during Thanksgiving.  Anybody have a solution?

15 REPLIES 15
sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Doesnt sound like you can do anything further besides resetting it by the battery removal.   So i would open up a case and ask for a replacement.  Or return it to the place you bought it.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

babyduke,

Do the IR LEDs come on when the camera is active at night? (you should see a faint red glow)

Be sure Night Vision is toggled on in the camera settings. (Settings > My Devices > select desired camera > Video Settings > Night Vision toggle)

JamesC

babyduke
Star
Star

Yes the red LED lights come on when there is activity but the video is still dark and can barely see the image.  Night vision feature is on.  Arlo rep told me to take the battery out and re-sync.  I'll be trying this later.  This model blows.Man Frustrated

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It seems likely that you have a bad camera.  It's not that the model "blows" but that one camera does.  If new enough, you could swap the system at the store.  Otherwise, working with support for a possible RMA is your route.

babyduke
Star
Star

This isn't the first camera.  I've had another one with night vision failure.  It didn't work for 2 days then started working again.  I've had so many other issues like not getting the alerts temporarily, camera not operating due to cold weather,  message indicating it needs to warm up even tho the temp was in the 20's, motions getting detected in irregular intervals, etc.  This system DOES blow.  I wish I had gotten the regular Arlo system.  

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

babyduke,

Can you post a screenshot of the issue? That might help us better understand the issue you are describing.

JamesC

babyduke
Star
Star

Night vision footage should be like black and white yet the images are clear.  It works find on my other cameras.  But this one you can barely see me standing just 6ft away.  If you tell me this is normal, I'm deleting this thread and just give up.

night vision.jpg

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

babyduke,

Please contact the Arlo Support Team to further investigate this issue. You will find several options for contacting support in the provided link.

JamesC

Johnny_K
Tutor
Tutor

I have had many of the same issues with the night vision working fine and then it goes dim. The issue with mine started when my battery went low on power and turned my camera off. I charged my camera to 100% and turned it back on and that's when the night vision problem began. This was the first charge to this camera as it was only25 day's old ( I played around with it alot in the beginning). I went through many of the same way's to try and get it back working and failed multiple times. The one thing that I did that finally got it working again was to take the battery out of the camera put it back in and then re sync the camera. I had to do this several times but it finally started to work again like it should.

sharkcom
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks JohnnyK - that is very helpful!

babyduke
Star
Star

If you scroll up, you can see that I did try taking out the battery then re-sync but it still didn't work.  I had to contact the Netgear and troubleshoot over the phone.  Rep wen into my account then reset the pan/zoom feature which did the trick.  Hope it'll last...

Johnny_K
Tutor
Tutor

Babyduke: I had to do this several times before I got the night vision to work properly. The funny thing is that each time I did it the night vision got slightly better until it was working the way it should.

rtdbw
Initiate
Initiate

I have the same problem as well.  Also annoyed that I was told that I could see the home cameras on my phone and yet I cannot as I have Windows phone not an iphone.  False advertising!  I have 5 cameras and my newest one is problematic 😞  The night vision is very finicky...works sometimes then not at all and my videos look like yours all black some specs of light can be seen and video all dark even when standing there waviing at it and yes red lights are on registering that it is detecting but not switching to NV even though it is in the mode and set to on.  I have changed the batteries, re synced several times.  About to now ask for a replacement.  I have the standard btw not the pro.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

rtdbw wrote:

The night vision is very finicky...works sometimes then not at all and my videos look like yours all black some specs of light can be seen and video all dark even when standing there waviing at it and yes red lights are on registering that it is detecting but not switching to NV even though it is in the mode and set to on.  I have changed the batteries, re synced several times.  About to now ask for a replacement.  I have the standard btw not the pro.

The Pro has significantly better night performance, even with Night Vision turned off, than the originals.  You can test your cameras by putting them in a dark room and triggering motion or using live view.  The IR illuminators will only be useful to maybe 20 feet max, perhaps less.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

rtdbw,

You might try swapping one of the other cameras with the camera that is behaving poorly to further isolate the issue.

The Arlo mobile app is available for iOS and Android. Windows mobile devices are not supported.

JamesC