Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Night Vision Not Working With Camera Inside Of Glass

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hello:

Both of my cameras have excellent "vision" in the daytime but the one in front of my house cannot "see" at night.

I switched cameras and got the same result. I moved the front camera from the door to a window. The results are shown in the photos. What could be the problem?

Thanks.

mounted on front doormounted on front doormounted in windowmounted in window

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Streak2
Master Master
Master

Turn off night vision on the front door camera and see how it works.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Streak2
Master Master
Master

I cant see the photos. Remove and refit the battery in the camera that's giving you grief. There is an IR filter that may be sticking. Also, toggle night vision off and then back on for that camera.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

You do have night vision - that's the nasty glare in your images. You can't use these cameras behind glass since 1) the IR motion detection won't work due to the glass blocking the IR and 2) night vision LEDs will reflect off the glass.

The cameras need to be mounted outdoors.

VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Ahh.

That makes sense: except my neighbor's camera works fine, and so does my back door camera. All are mounted inside on the front and back doors behind glass.

I would prefer them outside anyway. I will do that.

Thanks.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There have been a few reports of specific glass/windows that allow the IR to pass. What those are is unknown. Maybe you've hit on some.

VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi again. I know you wrote the camera can't see because of the glass, so I moved it above the glass. Here is what it looks like at night. at night through a screen.at night through a screen.As I wrote before; the camera on my back door it photographing perfectly, day or night.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Is there anything in front of the camera at the back door?

As mentioned before, at night the IR is going to reflect off anything that is closely infront of it.

likewise the motion detection could be affected.

VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

The front and back door scenarios are identical. Both cameras are mounted between the inside door and the security door. Each security door is glass that the camera sees through. Each door has an outside light mounted on the upper right side or the building, next to the door. Even the bulbs in the outside (porch) lights are identical.

The only diference is, one door is white and the other door is red. But I know that has no beaing. 

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Turn off night vision on the front door camera and see how it works.

VirgLS
Aspirant
Aspirant

Voila! It works perfectly now. Thanks!

Although an accepted solution would be to put the camera outside as previously suggessted, until I get the hardware to do that I prefer to have the cameras inside and safe from theft.

V