Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 20 Replies
  • 5 Likes
  • 9 In Conversation
Nirvara
Follower
Follower

Can someone advise, we are thinking of buying this system, it all sounds great but want it to suit our specific needs, 5 people in and out, am i right in thinking that now it can be armed and disarmed by speaking to alexa, so the whole family is in control of it without having to log into the app? also with the pro system, can the normal arla cameras be added if i dont need audible for outside and i assume i can have those so they don't activate the alarm, just notify me? i'm sure this has all been covered before, i just can't find the answers so thanks for taking the time....

20 REPLIES 20
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Nirvara,

Alexa cannot be used to Arm or Disarm the Arlo system. Take a look here for a list of commands that can be used with Alexa: What Alexa commands can I use with the Amazon Echo Show or Fire TV to view my Arlo cameras?

For the purposes of other family members controlling Arlo, you could utilize the Grant Access feature to allow other users access, take a look here for more information: How do I add friends to my Arlo account?

All of the Arlo Wire-free, Pro and Pro 2 cameras are compatible with both the Arlo Pro and Arlo Wire-free base stations. This allows the flexibility you are looking for when adding cameras to your system. Which cameras activate the siren on the Arlo Pro base station can be managed within your camera rules.

JamesC

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC,

Please explain some more. In my IFTTT account I can see applets to arm or disarm my Arlo Pro system with a Alexa voice command but the devices are never listed and it states the service cannot be accessed.  When I check my IFTTT Alexa and Arlo connections all is indicated as fine.  Were these some older applets that were disabled and for what reason?  If there is a security risk then the command line could always contain a code word in the Alexa trigger phrase.  To able to disarm/arm your Arlo system with a Alexa voice command a very useful function that would help to sell the Arlo systems.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

oillogger,

The Arlo development team is currently investigating an issue with IFTTT that has been reported here by many users. I will post an update when I have more information.

JamesC

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

JamesC,

Great, I'm glad they are working on it since Stingify does not appear to be a good option for me.  Thanks!

Chriscic
Initiate
Initiate
Is the Alexa functionality of arming/diarming going to be added? Not having is super lame!
SGLittle
Tutor
Tutor

I just added this skill and it works great. I agree arm/disarm would be a great addition as opposed to faffing around in the app. Geofencing works ok, but not always relevant for me as I use various perimeter settings when I’m home.

My only concern is that this command would need to be little smarter than simply saying Alexa Arm/Disarm Arlo.

To make it fully functional, being able to specify which mode should be armed makes sense, and disarm would surely need some sort of security protocol, such as a verbal code/password requested by Alexa. 

Otherwise, on seeing my Arlo stickers or cameras through a window, I wouldn’t want a sharp intruder yelling “Alexa Disarm Arlo” through my letterbox!

just my view of course.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I use Alexa to arm/disarm my Arlo Pro thru IFTTT strings where you indicate the phrases you desire as the commands.

Jondoeiowa
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can you share a link to instructions or how you enabled that ability Oillogger?
oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

You have to establish an IFTTT account on the IFTTT website.  Then you create an IF/Then command string.  There should be plenty of example YouTube set up videos.

bruneitiger
Aspirant
Aspirant

If you are thinking about buying Arlo to work with your ALEXA... think again!!!  It is the most unreliable skill i have tried so far.  At best it's a noble idea to be able to ask "ALEXA, show me who's at the door".  Most of the time, you will get, an answer like "hmmm.... the camera is not responding"

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

My wife and I use Alexa to arm and disarm our Arlo 98% of the time.  About 10% of the time we have to repeat the command because we said it too fast.  We love this feature.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@oillogger

Are you using some special secret command that you setup yourself in IFTTT or a pin number or something? Because if using something like Arlo Disarm........ any burglar can figure that out and depending on where your echo is located could even possibly say the command from outside the house and the echo will hear it and disarm your system.

I'm just curious how you have yours setup. Until echo uses voice recognition, so that it only responds to my voice, I'm very leary about tying cameras and/or alarm systems into a voice activated system.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

I totally agree and I use slightly different command phrase as a result.  You could reverse the commands and really confuse the bad guys.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

@oillogger

Thanks for the info. I use smartthings and it does pretty much anything I want so I haven't tried IFTTT yet, but I might look into this.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not sure about Alexa but for example, IFTTT with Google Assistant:

Hey Google, boil the chicken 

OK, boiling the chicken (cameras arm)

Hey Google, stop boiling the chicken

You got it, stopping boiling the chicken (cameras disarm)

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

Thanks, I'll look into it this weekend. I use Computer as my "wake up" phrase for my Echos (star trek fan), so I could do something like Computer fire the photons or Computer engage cloak. Kinda cool.

oillogger
Apprentice
Apprentice

You will have to change your Echo wake up word to Computer but the rest of the phrase will have to start with the word "trigger".  It appears from another posting that Google Assistant may be more flexible with their commands.  I'm retired and work very few hours a week just to keep me a little bit busy at a nearby Best Buy.  I am surprised to noticed there are 20+ Amazon Echos sold for every Google Assistant sold.  I'm sticking with Amazon Echo since it obviously has a much better chance of surviving the mfg personal assistant wars.

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I already have mine switched to Computer. Thanks for the info on how the command will have to be worded.

I went with the Echo because I got one for a gift and because I really don't like google. But honestly I really don't even use it all that much. I have smartthings which controls my whole house. The echo is more of a novelty thing for me. Occationally I'll ask a question, or set a timer, or ask for info from my weather station, or run a smartthings routine (ex: good night), but that's about it. Smartthings is just smarter. And much of the time, I have to mute the thing because the TV sets it off all the time, especially watching star trek or when I used Alexa for wake up anytime an amazon commercial comes on or watching a show where the characters name is Alexa.... that part is annoying. It needs voice recognition, so only voices programed in set it off.

But anyway, thanks for the info.

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I use Google Assistant just because I got so invested in Google early and have ties clear across all the Google platforms. For example I have Android Auto (which now some cars are coming with it built in), so I can drive, get directions, find stuff and set routes, communicate on WhatsApp, turn my home stuff on and off (like turning on a TV at home to freak out people there) or set light scenes, remember to close my garage door, check my calendar, get reminders, a bunch of media stuff, and view an Arlo camera at 80 mph. With my voice. Amazon has done a great job promoting Alexa with its partnerships, and it is a fine product. But as deep as I am in with Google and how integrated it all is, I doubt that I would consider Assistant and Google Home going away any time soon ... 

pc2k17
Hero
Hero

I'm all in with SmartThings, so I know what you mean, once you set your iOT eco system up you can't just decide one day to switch to something else unless you want to throw money away. I have spent about $3,000 on all my smartthings and iOT devices. If it doesn't integrate into smartthings I won't buy it. If it works with Action Tiles that's also a plus.

Your Android auto setup sounds cool. I have a 2017 Lexus and last I read Lexus said they have no plans to implement android auto. I guess they prefer to have full control of all the infotanment center functions and as you know apple and google like to have control. They cut a deal with apple and will be offering carplay in coming model years. But since I have android and so does like 80% of the moble phone market, I'm not sure who'll be using it. They are adding Alexa integration too, but idk, the thing gets stuff wrong all the time, I think it would just annoy me in the car.

You're right, google home isn't going away anytime soon, even though echo might sell more. I wouldn't be surprised if they actually started working together, sharing skills and functions. Microsoft was working with Amazon to get amazon skills and functions working with Cortana, not sure where that project stands though.