Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New router and now Arlo Pro cameras do not connect to Arlo Pro Base Station VMB4000

Discussion stats
  • 9 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
Jackson-UK
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed a new router and wifi and I have 4 cameras on the system.  None of the cameras connect now. I have synced, reset, taken the batteries out, unplugged and reset base station but I still get "The device failed to connect. Please try again" on the app and online.  The arlo pro 2 camera doesn't even show a wifi signal icon indication on the app either - but the arlo pro cameras do show wifi signal.

The batteries are all showing full strength.  It was all working perfectly before I installed the new router.

I have spent untold hours on this and trawled through the community posts.  A solution will be most welcome!

9 REPLIES 9
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Define "reset" - use of the reset button and/or removing all devices from Settings, My Devices or turning the base off and on/restart? Huge difference.

Have you tried removing the cameras from Settings, My Devices and resyncing? What do you see when doing this?

Jackson-UK
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thank you for your response.

I used the reset button.

I removed one camera and tried to reinstall it but it 'couldnt find the device'.   I retried syncing at least a dozen times.  I checked that the base unit is registered and showing up on the router information. It is.

I think the communication problem is between the cameras and the base station, and not the base station and the router - everything was working fine on the old TP Link modem router.

My new setup is a netgear modem and Asus wifi 6 (RT-AX88U) router.

I really appreciate any help you can give me. 

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Communication between the base and router can bedetermined by the power and Internet LEDs being green as well as checking the connected devices in the router settings.

When using the rest button until the LEDs flash amber, you also need to remove all devices in Settings, My Devcies to clear your account from those devices. After claiming the base agai as if new you should be ableto sync the cameras and set thing sback up.

Jackson-UK
Aspirant
Aspirant

I removed all devices, and reset the base station.  Then I tried adding the cameras.  I can add the base but it just hangs on the "Discovering your device. Please wait" screen.  I have repeated these steps more than a dozen times now.

The base was reset and set up again successfully.

But it cannot add any cameras.  Ever.

All lights on the front of the base are green now.  The base station shows up as being connected to my new Asus router (RT- AX88U).

I have Arlo Pro and Arlo Pro 2 cameras but cannot add any camera to the system now at all.

Finally after timing out the app displays the message "No Arlo devices found".

Thank you for your help on this.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

Maybe you can't sync the cameras because they're already synced? The green Camera LED means at least one camera is synced.

When you reset, did you remove all devices from Settings, My Devices? Did you also hold the reset button on the base until the LEDs flashed amber? Did you then claim the base using the Add Device selection on the Devices tab before trying to sync the cameras?  The order and completeness is important.

RayW57
Aspirant
Aspirant

Same exact issue - changed to an ASUS CM32-AC2600 cable modem/router.  I have spent almost 5 hours chatting and troubleshooting this issue with Arlo without resolution. I have been without cameras now for almost 3 weeks and yesterday there was an event in the neighborhood that my cameras would have been crucial for evidence... I have the VMB4000r3 with 3 wireless Arlo Pro IIs, and 2 Arlo Q. All of these devices were working without issue prior to router change. I asked for escalation to Level 2 support, but haven't heard anything...  Changed wifi channels between 1, 6, and 11as suggested by support, no change, if anyone has any success with this setup, I would appreciate a note.

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RayW57 wrote:

Changed wifi channels between 1, 6, and 11as suggested by support, no change, 

What else have you tried?  Is the base station off line, or is it just the cameras?

RayW57
Aspirant
Aspirant
Base successfully added to account on account, two green LEDs on base, can see it on Network as ARLO_VMBxxxxx, new router has a WPS button, last Arlo tech had me push that prior to sync, nothing changed, but what does that do for the process?
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@RayW57 wrote:
 new router has a WPS button, last Arlo tech had me push that prior to sync, nothing changed

There was no point in having you push WPS on the router, since you aren't connecting the base station to the router over wifi.

So you are seeing the base station in your account? 

If not, double-check that the ethernet light is lit on the router port that connects to the base station.  Also, see if the base station is showing up in the router's attached devices list.  Sometimes routers are set up to not allow new devices to connect to the network.

If the base station is showing up in your account, try hard-reseting one of the cameras and see if you can then add it.  Do that by holding down the sync button on the camera for about 15 seconds.  Then remove/reinsert the battery for good measure.   BTW, if the camera is showing on your account, then remove it first.