Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
  • 11 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 In Conversation
lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I just installed 2 Arlo Pro camera's at outside my house.  One works fine and the other has a red tint to the video at all times and the battery is down to 20% since opening the box just two days ago.  I am assuming that camera has issues and the reason it is red (guessing that night vision is not turning off during day) and that this issue is a camera drain.  I emailed customer support and just got a case number which doesn't do me any good if I need to wait around for a response.  I tried to call their US customer support line and nobody answers (408 #).  In fact it just rings and rings with no automation at least answering the line to say they are busy, that it is their customer support line, etc.  

Safe to say that I am very suspect of this product by the way it is working and the lack of customer support so far.  I would have thought a Netgear product would at least have a half way decent support line.  I may just return it and get a different brand unless there is an easier solution with what I already have.  

Thanks.

11 REPLIES 11
manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I would probably just return it and exchange it for the same thing. Sucks you got a malfunctioning camera out of the box, but give it a try with an exchange and then see how it works for you.

lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks.  

If I am returning the unit I may go with another manufacturer.  The customer service for Netgear/Arlo is as bad as I have ever dealt with.  I got through in one of my calls (14 total!!) to their support line and after the gatekeeper could not assist me, she meant to transfer me but instead disconnected me.  So that was only 28 minutes of time wasted on one call and now that same number does not answer.  I know Netgear is a large company with many products, but this type of horrendous service level was not expected.  It is as bad as I have ever dealt with and I know I will likley need support again at some point with this being unacceptable.

manofice
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I agree, that long wait times sucks, and I too would probably be mad. I think their probably more busy today because it appears their dealing with a iOS notification issue and I bet a ton of people are calling in about it. I guess it depends on your needs, do you need a battery operated wifi camera system, or can you easliy wire ethernet and power to where you want the camera's installed?

lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

Based on where I want the cameras, there is no easy solution for a wired/powered system without it being professionally installed.  I was intrigued by the Arlo system because it was wire free and I only needed a low key residential system.  The set up was easy and the system itself is really cool, but this support issue has been so bad that it just puts such a bad taste in your mouth to keep the product.  Like I said, I know I will need support again in the future for something and this experience has been the worst.  Even sitting on hold with an automated customer service line with a long wait would be OK, but the only US support number is not even being answered.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lenkaj,

I apologize for the poor experience with support. I would like to assist you with your support case. It sounds like your camera could be experiencing a hardware issue, if you provide me with your support case number I will review your case and escalate if needed.

JamesC

lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

My case number is 27799265.

I have taken the batteries out of the camera and "rebooted" it this way which corrects the pink/red tint issue.  The problem is that when it goes back into nightmode overnight, I have the same issue.  So pulling out a 12 foot ladder every morning to pull out the batteries is a problem.

This camera 25 feet away from the other outdoor Arlo camera I have that has no issues.  I brought the camera inside yesterday to get it resynced closer to the base and to make sure it was getting any firmware updates it may have been missing (this was suggested by an email response from Netgear) which obvioulsy didn't help.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

It sounds like you already have a case open. Use it to have the camera RMAed.

lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am kind of confused by your response.  I have only been able to get periodic email responses based on the initial online submission I did that gave me a case number.  I have never actually gotten any help.

You asked for my case number to help expidite my issue, but your response was that you see I already have a case number? Why did you ask for my case number if the thought was that I did not have a case number?

At the end of the day I just need to know if I have to return this unit or if there is a way to fiix my single camera issue.    

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru
I never asked for your case number since I have no way of following up on it. I simply suggested that you utilize the existing case and push for an RMA. If it's within the store's return policy, swapping for another system would certainly be the fastest and easiest way to resolve the problem. Otherwise, you have to use your case with support.
lenkaj
Aspirant
Aspirant

You responded to my post that was not intended for you.  It was to the moderator who posted:

"lenkaj,

I apologize for the poor experience with support. I would like to assist you with your support case. It sounds like your camera could be experiencing a hardware issue, if you provide me with your support case number I will review your case and escalate if needed.

JamesC"

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

lenkaj,

Your case has been updated by the support agent. Please refer to your open case for more information.

JamesC