Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Moderm, Same Router-Arlo Cameras Now Offline

Discussion stats
  • 5 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
joanmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

The cable co. switched out my modem and now all my Arlo cameras are showing offline.  They're in hard to reach places & it took me several days to install and position them, so I really don't want to take them all down & re-sync to the base station.  I've powered off/on the modem, router, and Arlo base station.  Arlo software gives me no options to re-set anything.

Is there another solution that wouldn't involve taking down all the cameras & re-syncing?  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
joanmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem solved! It seems that the cable guy's nimble fingers pulled the Ethernet plug slightly out from the Arlo base.  I didn't see it at first.  It wasn't until I remembered what Felix told Oscar....."Never assume....." etc. and traced each connection, wire by wire, that I saw it.  Once it was securely plugged in, all my Arlo's came back online.

It was a long day to finally get to the solution.  Cable/Internet/Phone all went out  (again, thanks to the cableco's error), sim card on the cellphone went south,  so I guess the Arlo's wanted to get in on the act as well 😂.  

Thanks to both of you for your help!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Not really...when the base unit losses power for a long time ( unknown as to lenght ) the cameras can loose sync.  When the cameras loose sync there is nothing to do except to redo them and resync with the base.

There is no remote restart for the cameras, only the base unit.

But my question is was the base unit unpowered during this change? If the base was left plugged in, there should have been no issue.

In my tests, it was found that if the base stayed powered up the cameras wouldn't loose sync even if the internat access went down ( which is why we tell remote locations to use a UPS , to avoid this issue )

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

On a side note, with my Arlo PRO system, I have moved my base around my house looking for the best position and it was off for several minutes between shuffles and my cameras came back up fine every time.  I only had it off for maybe 5-10 minutes but I didn't have any issue.

TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Yes... there is a length of time which is more than 20-30 mins or so ( unknown ) when the cameras loose sync to a powered down base

When this happens they don't resync and because they keep trying to ping the base, they run down the batteries quicker ( like a cell phone trying to reach a tower )

Normal quick power outages and all comes back online

Morse is faster than texting!
kmiller8821
Luminary
Luminary

TomMac wrote:

Yes... there is a length of time which is more than 20-30 mins or so ( unknown ) when the cameras loose sync to a powered down base

When this happens they don't resync and because they keep trying to ping the base, they run down the batteries quicker ( like a cell phone trying to reach a tower )

Normal quick power outages and all comes back online

That's useful to know.  I don't recall seeing that in the manual.  I do have mine on a UPS tho, so shouldn't be an issue.

joanmeg
Aspirant
Aspirant

Problem solved! It seems that the cable guy's nimble fingers pulled the Ethernet plug slightly out from the Arlo base.  I didn't see it at first.  It wasn't until I remembered what Felix told Oscar....."Never assume....." etc. and traced each connection, wire by wire, that I saw it.  Once it was securely plugged in, all my Arlo's came back online.

It was a long day to finally get to the solution.  Cable/Internet/Phone all went out  (again, thanks to the cableco's error), sim card on the cellphone went south,  so I guess the Arlo's wanted to get in on the act as well 😂.  

Thanks to both of you for your help!