Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

10:42 AM 9-24-2019: In an effort to answer your questions efficiently, we'll be answering your question within the same post where it was asked. Due to the number of duplicate questions, you may need to refer to the first post answered.

Arlo recently released a new Arlo App for iOS and Android mobile devices. Please join Alex Jukl, senior product manager for Arlo iOS, Android and Web applications at 11AM PT this Tuesday 9/24/19 as he shares the highlights of this update and takes your questions about the new Arlo mobile app.

Alex will be taking your questions live in this Arlo Community discussion thread at 11AM PT Tuesday 9/24/19. We will leave this thread open until the end of the day for you to post questions if you can’t make it during the live chat. Alex will come back and respond to the questions you leave outside the time of our scheduled chat.

AlexJ.png

Alex Jukl serves as senior product manager for iOS, Android, and Web applications at Arlo where he is responsible for creating and delivering new features and enhancements to the Arlo apps. Since joining the company, Alex has led the effort to create and launch the new “By Arlo” app. Prior to Arlo, he held roles in business planning and product marketing at consumer electronics companies where he delivered connected solutions for creative professionals and enthusiasts. Alex earned his bachelor of arts at UC Santa Cruz (go Slugs!) and a MBA from Santa Clara University.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

237 REPLIES 237
anewtoi
Apprentice
Apprentice
Is there an option to have any of your camera lineup auto display on Alexa show or google home upon activation?
KCinKy
Initiate
Initiate
FYI Ditto, I would also like to choose my notification tone in iOS. Just sayin’ so you see there is more interest out there.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Kenbo wrote:

The live video on the new app is choppy while smooth on the legacy app.  Will this be fixed by the time you disable the legacy app?

Also, would be nice if we could mute notifications for individual cams as opposed to all cams at the same time.  I have to mute a particular cam whenever it gets windy because the mic is overly sensitive, but then I lose notifications for the other cams not affected by the wind.

Ditto the mute request.  I monitor four homes with Arlo.  I certainly don’t want to mute the entire app when only one camera at one home is problematic.  This feature represents a very narrow view of how Arlo systems are used by Arlo customers.

Mbr11001
Initiate
Initiate
PEZ63
Initiate
Initiate

Why is there so much lag time? It seems like 6-8 seconds all the time. Why can’t these broadcast real time like my other cameras? I have 10 of a $20 camera and they are on

ine more and real time compared to these $$$ Arlo’s. I wish you would fix this.

thanks - Paul

Remaxman
Aspirant
Aspirant

Why is the video quality so bad. Even when I have it set to best it is hard to read licence plates or see clear faces. 

jdeyoung2015
Initiate
Initiate

Why does it take so long for the cameras to kick in when there is motion and start recording?  I get a notification, then it takes forever to load the video clip, and then it's basically a video of someone's butt walking away - IF I even get that - half the time there's NOTHING on the video even though I know there was someone there (mostly cause I was HOME and talked to them).  I was expecting that I'd be able to see a video of the instant someone walks up or drives up.  I have the sensitivity all the way up to 100% for all 3 of my cameras (and I did it in 2 different places), cameras are placed perfectly, but by the time it finally kicks in to record, the person could be out of the field of view of the camera and breaking into the house or garage or shop.  This defeats the whole purpose of WHY i got these cameras after being broken into TWICE already. 

Snowing
Aspirant
Aspirant

How can I add a second home to the app? I was unable to do in previous app version. If I can’t add a second home, I’ll have buy from another security system to have 2 apps on my phone. I would prefer to have everything on one system.

User_in_Utah
Initiate
Initiate

Please answer this one.  I'm sure that there must be "plans to move ... away from Flash" so the real questions are: why haven't you already switched?  And when will you finally do it?

LeoCow
Initiate
Initiate

I use IFTTT. You can add a Widget button that will Arm and Disarm the base station.

I would like to be able to disable each camera, not just the base station that disables all cameras.

JeffMartin
Aspirant
Aspirant
I changed the motion sensitivity on my Arlo q to #3. Why does it always go back to #5?
stoneman6526
Aspirant
Aspirant
i want an external siren, battery or solar powered, that can be triggered by Arlo. Loud enough for my neighbors to hear and frighten intruders.
ActionMedford
Star
Star

SMS Text Badly Needed - Email/Test Does Not Work Correctly or Solve the Problem!  Email/Text is DELAYED until after the End of the Recorded Clip which may be up to 5 minutes! Also, the Conversion of Email-To-Text for Cell Phone Providers leaves out the Entire MESSAGE (No Identification of Camera Name or Location) which apparently is Sent by Arlo as HTML? Only the Subject is Sent via Text (Fr:alerts@arlo.com S:Arlo Has Just Detected Motion M: BLANK for all HTML). Sending an Email Message through a Computer with Only Text displays Both the Subject and Message Wording! https://kb.arlo.com/2613/How-can-I-receive-text-notifications-from-my-Arlo-system-instead-of-email-n... In order to take advantage of the New Arlo Smart Feature (People or Motion) the Text Also Needs to be Only Activated at the Same times as the PUSH NOTIFICATIONS, not with the Emails which will Receive All Notifications! I also have some BLINK Cameras and the IFTTT Text Applet using SMS works Great, however the Blink Cameras are not near the great picture quality of the Arlo Pro 2!

mark9872
Aspirant
Aspirant

Geofencing absolutely bites.   I have accounts on two phones.  I make sure Arlo app is always running in background and location always on for the app.  iPhone X and 8P.  But it rarely knows where either phone is.   Just got way worse with IOS 13.  when is it going to get fixed.  

Mochablue
Initiate
Initiate

This issue may have already been addressed in this thread, but what can I do about the 30 or 40 false alarms I get during the day from shadow and sun activity? If this issue WAS addressed, how do a search the thread?

Corruoangelus
Initiate
Initiate
I have a couple questions that can hopefully be answered in one post. I have CVR on one of my cameras and upon reviewing the timeline to see a better before and after of the event I have numerous blank spots. Since this is supposed to always be recording I’m confused as to how this can happen. Also will there be any app changes to make the notification customizable for IOS. Also is there any plan in the future to increase the speed at which the cameras connect for live view, they seem incredibly delayed and most often the trigger has left the camera area. Also accessing the library cloud can take a fair amount of time to access even under high speed WiFi. Overall I like the product however there are things that would make it considerably better.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Mando12 wrote:
I have 2 homes and I want to know how I can add a second Arlo system to my second home in a different state and only using the 1 mobile app?

I monitor 39 cameras located at five different properties from a single app login.  Just add the new base. At your second home while logged into your account.

However, the Arlo app doesn’t properly support multiple locations so things like Alarms, e911, Mute Notifications, etc. do not work as we’d like for a true multi-location application.  It isn’t designed property.  However, you can see your cameras and download footage.

Mbr11001
Initiate
Initiate
I totally agree! Using the solar panels and can’t use the activity zones. You shd be about to set these to cut down on notifications! In the new app, it has a ref icon letting me know zones are deactivated when no power.
techiedude
Aspirant
Aspirant

Any plans to offer a limited number of zones for free? I've got a flag on the front of my house that constantly sets off my Arlo motion detector and it's got me re-thinking this purchase...

JaquieAnderson
Aspirant
Aspirant
Can I hook my arlo up to a monitor and live stream it?
jjlove
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have the same problem  with my cameras slow to start recording and too slow to connect to see who is at my door. also stops and starts recording while standing at the door talking to someone with continuous movement.

Also on sunny days front and back cameras trip and record nothing every few minutes. I have to turn them off during the day.

ActionMedford
Star
Star

IFTTT Applets are Not the Answer for Notifications (Phone Calls or Texts) as there are Many Time they are Delayed for Several Minutes or HOURS before being sent!  IFTTT does Not Respond to Email Complaints such as Long Delays!  Security Cameras must have Immediate Notifications or they are Worthless?  Please Consider Arlo Built-In Notifications to make Phone Calls & Texts?

Jaryt
Aspirant
Aspirant
Is there a way to alter the infrared motion detection? I get a recording of every car going down the street but nothing when someone walks on the sidewalk.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@Retired_Member wrote:

When using multiple cameras, especially on larger screen such as ipad, in the old version the multiple windows (different cameras) took up almost all of the screen, it is now a small picture for each camera.  Any way to change that?  Using as a baby monitor you want the picture to be as large as possible.

Do you mean on the “Devices” screen?  The only versions that filled the iPad screen with a single camera image on the Devices screen were 2.6.x versions, I believe.   Users screamed loudly to get that fixed.  It is supposed to show a matrix of thumbnails on the iPad Devices screen.  Then a live view or playback will be in full screen if you expand it after it starts playing.  

SNSHN67
Initiate
Initiate
I have downloaded the new app and then I log on it keeps telling me I need to download the new app. Should I remove the whole thing and start over?