Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

10:42 AM 9-24-2019: In an effort to answer your questions efficiently, we'll be answering your question within the same post where it was asked. Due to the number of duplicate questions, you may need to refer to the first post answered.

Arlo recently released a new Arlo App for iOS and Android mobile devices. Please join Alex Jukl, senior product manager for Arlo iOS, Android and Web applications at 11AM PT this Tuesday 9/24/19 as he shares the highlights of this update and takes your questions about the new Arlo mobile app.

Alex will be taking your questions live in this Arlo Community discussion thread at 11AM PT Tuesday 9/24/19. We will leave this thread open until the end of the day for you to post questions if you can’t make it during the live chat. Alex will come back and respond to the questions you leave outside the time of our scheduled chat.

AlexJ.png

Alex Jukl serves as senior product manager for iOS, Android, and Web applications at Arlo where he is responsible for creating and delivering new features and enhancements to the Arlo apps. Since joining the company, Alex has led the effort to create and launch the new “By Arlo” app. Prior to Arlo, he held roles in business planning and product marketing at consumer electronics companies where he delivered connected solutions for creative professionals and enthusiasts. Alex earned his bachelor of arts at UC Santa Cruz (go Slugs!) and a MBA from Santa Clara University.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

237 REPLIES 237
techshopper
Aspirant
Aspirant
Why does the Alexa integration take so long to pull the video feed and why after to get the first camera do the rest not load for an extended period of time?
Geoff805
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had problems with double notifications and found arlo was installed two times on my phone. The new version and the old version running at the same time. once i uninstalled the old one that fixed the problem.

Bdokxbxowkqbsj
Initiate
Initiate
I agree with the comments that delay in both accessing live feed and notifications is too inconsistent and too slow.

As far as the app, how about a dark theme so that we're not blinded viewing in low light?
analgesic
Initiate
Initiate
1. Why has the pixelation issue with Arlo Baby not been fixed? The idea that there's some inherent issue with WiFi and Bluetooth interference is absurd: if Ring can make a camera that doesn't pixelate then you can too. When is this going to finally be taken seriously as an unacceptable flaw that must be rectified immediately?

2. Google Assistant support has long been wonky. What are you doing to improve reliable integration with smart displays?
BLUSER
Initiate
Initiate

Thanks for the reply, but when I have the new app on my android( legacy app deleted) I get no push notification or email notifications, any ideas?

ssmf01
Initiate
Initiate

The new Arlo app is not compatible with Chromebook - any update available?

pwps
Guide
Guide

It actually started at 11 am PSt

dricke712
Tutor
Tutor

I'm getting too many notifications.  Every branch, every shadow, every movement of BBQ cover overwhelms me and I'm going to miss something I need to know.  Zones haven't helped either because of shadows.  Any suggestions would be great, if you get to this question today.

Dennis

VASoundman
Initiate
Initiate

I have another question about the VMB5000r4.  Maybe all of the other models too.  Why was the decision to prevent direct view of the camera's over the network?  It looks like to me that you cannot access the camera directly.  This may cause network to slow up (depending on home internet speed) drastically.  And cause issues in how quick you can view cameras or hear the audio.  There is a delay going out of the house, to a remote location and back to you again.

seray
Tutor
Tutor

Having the same issue. Keep getting Uncertified Accessory  error. I have looked at your KB article on this and I still can not get it to work.

pwps
Guide
Guide

Are we ever going to get the ability draw free form activity zones? The default square/rectangular shapes are pretty useless in avoiding unnecessary motion that runs the battery down.

FoldsRule
Guide
Guide

So my husband and I spent about $500 on Arlo Pro cams, both wired with a base station and wireless.  The best we get out of these is watching our cats walk back and forth.  We've made numerous adjustments to the ones outside so that we can keep an eye on our house, but they're so hit and miss that it's a joke.  The one out front is aimed correctly so that it's on enough of an angle to catch someone walking up the driveway.  Up until the last update it was working halfway decent.  After that update we barely get the mailman or UPS guy bringing a package.  BUT....get this....the living room cam catches the doorbell, so we know they walked up.  The camera is maybe ten feet away and the angle and sensitivity are all adjusted correctly.  What gives, Arlo? Really...how are we supposed to catch someone if we can't see them?  And now you want us to download a new app?  What makes it better?

johninaz
Tutor
Tutor

Agreed - I was unable to use the "scheduled" feature, using the new app. I was away and my cameras went on by themselves . . . and I couldn't turn them off, during a period of high activity at my house. PITA.

DJackR
Initiate
Initiate

You can turn down the sensitivity of the cameras but you have to do it in Mode, click camera pencil, click pencil at Motion is Detected and adjust the setting here. The setting under Device Utilities and Motion Detection Test doesn't do it.

Bellaloo
Guide
Guide
I am having the same issues. So frustrating! Only on one camera.
AncientGeek
Hero
Hero

@jonnymobile wrote:
One enhancement several of us have asked for, for years is the ability to trigger different modes through services like IFTTT, Wink, etc. Having only on or off as a choice is just not sufficient. Are there plans for this to be added? In addition, I'd love to have the Geofencing be able to determine when no one is home (ie knowing I've left but wife is home to behave differently)
Thanks for the consideration!

The last item on your list is how geofencing with the iOS app works today.    When it is working properly.  It works for me and my wife exactly this way currently.

RSC1
Apprentice
Apprentice
1. Recording counters usually don’t zero out after loading thumbnails unless app is closed and relaunched.

2. Activity zones seem to have no affect. My street is outside my porch camera zone, but vehicles trigger the camera. Audio detection is off for that camera.

Cat triggers rear deck camera and only the area above the rails are in zones.
Skibear86
Aspirant
Aspirant
We also have not been successful using the geofencing (but we have iOS). Really want this feature to work!
TheRealMrE
Initiate
Initiate

Is the lag between motion being detected, and recording starting going to be addressed? Often times, I only see half of what happened because the camera didn't begin recording soon enough.

Second, there is also a long lag between an event happening and a notification being sent to my phone. This makes the "talk back" feature unusable if I wanted to communicate with someone knocking on my door while I'm not there, for example.

uwewoo
Initiate
Initiate

I wish we would be able to control push notifications separately for shared cameras. When my primary cameras are off I still get notifications for everything on the shared cameras and the only solution is to stop all notifications, turn of the shared cameras, or remove them from my account. Is there another option?

Autojunky
Aspirant
Aspirant

I had a lot of problems getting geofencing to recognize when I got back home.  Samsun Galaxy S7.  Found if I turned my phone wifi off ot put on airplane mode then back on it would recognize I was now home.  Been working much better the last month or two.

montreal
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, I would like to know if I need to use a  new app with a Surface P

ro 5. I Don't use Apple, nor Android. Is there anything I need to do if i use Windows ? Thanks.

tdou
Aspirant
Aspirant
Right now we can change the size of the motion detection window, but only where all sides increase or decrease together. Can you make the detection window more customizable?
RichB478
Initiate
Initiate

Please, please, please - provide a mode like "disarm for 30 minutes" or the ability to create my own.  I have not found a way to do this.  

JMMJMM
Aspirant
Aspirant
My question is, when will there be a community ( nearby incidents) inside the app. I have Arlo cameras but also have the Ring doorbell. The ring allows me to add a 9 mile radius around my area and receive alerts from others nearby. It’s all right inside the app and i don’t have to go to the website to view anything. I wish Arlo would do the same thing.