Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

10:42 AM 9-24-2019: In an effort to answer your questions efficiently, we'll be answering your question within the same post where it was asked. Due to the number of duplicate questions, you may need to refer to the first post answered.

Arlo recently released a new Arlo App for iOS and Android mobile devices. Please join Alex Jukl, senior product manager for Arlo iOS, Android and Web applications at 11AM PT this Tuesday 9/24/19 as he shares the highlights of this update and takes your questions about the new Arlo mobile app.

Alex will be taking your questions live in this Arlo Community discussion thread at 11AM PT Tuesday 9/24/19. We will leave this thread open until the end of the day for you to post questions if you can’t make it during the live chat. Alex will come back and respond to the questions you leave outside the time of our scheduled chat.

AlexJ.png

Alex Jukl serves as senior product manager for iOS, Android, and Web applications at Arlo where he is responsible for creating and delivering new features and enhancements to the Arlo apps. Since joining the company, Alex has led the effort to create and launch the new “By Arlo” app. Prior to Arlo, he held roles in business planning and product marketing at consumer electronics companies where he delivered connected solutions for creative professionals and enthusiasts. Alex earned his bachelor of arts at UC Santa Cruz (go Slugs!) and a MBA from Santa Clara University.

We look forward to having you join the conversation!

Thank you!

237 REPLIES 237
seray
Tutor
Tutor

Also, are you going to be bringing back the Apple TV App. I sure hope so.

r0cknj8
Initiate
Initiate

The two way talk is absolute very low even when volume in the settings is 100%, please fix this issue if possible literally can't hear anything. Hope you could fix this..

---

HI @r0cknj8  - We are aware of feedback on this. I'd like to ask a quick favor - can you please confirm (via DM) if this is also the case on the Arlo Legacy app? Also, which camera are you using? 

Thanks in advance!

-Alex

Shinkyo20
Guide
Guide

Are you going to address the geofencing issues that are still affecting the new app? We have two devices added to our app profile and the geofencing feature stops working from time to time, like the app cannot store the location of the devices for more than a week. Unchecking and checking the devices fixes the issue, but not forever.

Thank you for doing this AMA, kudos to all Arlo team for putting together such a great product.

--

@Shinkyo20 There are a few things that could be contributing to the Geofencing issue you're experiencing. I encourage you to take a look at this article to see if the tips here improve the experience: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working? 

-JamesC

lemketron
Guide
Guide

I read it as starting at 11am PDT so there's still a half hour to go.

Yoyob61
Initiate
Initiate
Yes by the time I get a message to someone is there and I login they’re gone. It’s way too slow !
Stlomodan
Aspirant
Aspirant

I run a beta version of iOS on my iphone and iPad. HomeKit does work with the Arlo pro series but not with the older base station. It works very well and might actually get the camera up,and running a little faster than thought the arlo app

dricke712
Tutor
Tutor

The time delay between event and opening the app is a serious problem.  And since I have added a drive to my base it should be lightening quick as it shouldn't have to need internet and reaching a server.

Chess01
Guide
Guide

This needs to be faster. It takes too long to access devices, and almost a minute sometimes to see what the motion sensor was alerted by. The new video in the library doesn't show up for a while.

---

Hi @Chess01 @Yoyob61 @dricke712 - Appreciate your feedback here - load times (for opening the app and for starting a video stream) is an area we take seriously and continue to try to improve.

In terms of time from when a notification is received to when it appears in the Library - this can be influenced by the length of the recording (as the notification is sent when motion is detected but the recording may not yet be done). 

Thanks for dropping in, and please continue to let us know if you see longer-than-expected load times for your devices or clips.

-Alex

gotart
Initiate
Initiate

Why don't you have version numbers on your apps.? So the customer knows exactly which one they have and what they need.

--

@gotart We do! You can find the version of your app by logging in and navigating to Settings > About > version

-JamesC

Cassel
Tutor
Tutor

If you were to look at the Arlo Facebook page (Arlo Home Security Camera Users Advice, Hints & Tips) you would get a fairly wide range of complaints. Personally my two biggest complaints are speed of the ap and the motion sensors are at best average. Motion is typically not detected when approaching the cameras head on. Research and development of new products is pointless unless the ap can support the product. Also the range is a constant complaint on the page. I can get at best 30 feet with both the HD and The Pro. Take time to look at the facebook page and you will way more input.

---

Hi @Cassel - In terms of motion detection, the sensors work best when motion is across the field of view of the camera (versus head on). I recommend, if at all possible, to change the angle of the camera to optimize for this - check out this article with some additional ideas (https://kb.arlo.com/37/How-do-I-position-my-Arlo-wire-free-camera
). 

-Alex

johnharenza
Initiate
Initiate

I USE MY COMPUTER AT WORK TO WATCH MY CAMERAS  I NOW CANNOT STAY LOGGED ON I NEED TO KEEP LOGGING IN   THERE IS NOT A STAY LOGGED IN BOX NOW  ITS SUCH A PAIN   IS THEIR A FIX 

---

Hi @johnharenza - Thanks for bringing this up. Like with banking apps, we erred on the side of stricter security and decided to not have that login persist when you close the browser window.

However - we definitely would like to hear more feedback on this particular item. Please let us know in the Idea Exchange!

Thanks for asking this question!

-Alex 

Abby44
Initiate
Initiate
I really love the apple watch notifications that include seeing the image when motion is detected on the arlo camera. Will there be more features coming to the apple watch or to homekit that can help streamline the way we want to see notifications?
MarkCoffman
Initiate
Initiate

1. Do you plan to support Android TV?

2. Will you drop flash in favor of HTML5?

AlexTwo
Tutor
Tutor

Might be off topic but it does involve soft ware. I bought 4 Arolo Pro 2 (VMC 4030) cameras and the base station. Junk for over a year because the batteries constantly died as they picked up every taillight that drove by. Then you introduced software so you could frame the action area, I thought fantastic, so I spent another small fortune on 3 solar panels and installed them. However the software does not let me frame the view unless they are plugged into a direct power supply, so I have the same problem, batteries that die too fast and hundreds of taillights going by. I have not done a review of Arlo yet but if this is not fixed it will be a very bad one. I could have had about 48 months of a subscription security system monitored by people 24/7 for what I have invested. Also on Amazon I am limited to buying only 3 solar panels so I have an extra camera that's useless. My cameras are mounted under the eves of my home and I have to get a ladder to get to the batteries. Fix the software so I can create active zones while using solar panels and all should be good. 

---

Hi @AlexTwo - It sounds like you are referring to Activity Zones. If so, unless you have an Arlo Smart subscription (where we do the heavy-lifting for those zones in the cloud), a continuous power supply is needed as sometimes (ie night time, cloudy days, etc) the solar panel may not be providing the power needed for this feature. 

In terms of purchasing a solar panel for the 4th camera, please check out https://shop.arlo.com/accessories.pro.pro2/VMA4600-10000S.html?_ga=2.8395575.387661659.1569465695-16...

Thanks for the question!

-Alex(Arlo) 😉 

ErikSamdahl
Initiate
Initiate

Question - the Arlo app on iOS shuts down (i.e. crashes) sporadically. It has been doing this for months, and has only gotten worse in recent months. This occurs on three different cell phones (an Apple 6, 6S, and 8). We keep it on overnight as we're using the baby monitor, and sometimes we'll wake up and the app has shut down, making it hard to hear our baby in the other room--for example, last night I woke up to hear distant sobbing from another room and realized the app was no longer on. 

In short, the app is super buggy.

Another issue we have is that sometimes when the app crashes, the baby monitor itself shuts down, turning off the white noise. When we go to turn it back on, it has defaulted back to the default music, which half the time wakes the baby. 

Are these known issues? If so, are they being addressed?

cnnn
Aspirant
Aspirant

Are you aware of the purple status light issue on Arlo Baby? There’s a thread on that for a year or two now. And since the app update, the issue is more consistent.

--

@cnnn A purple LED on the Arlo Baby means the camera has poor WiFi signal strength and may be too far from your router. Take a look here for tips on how to fix this: My Arlo Baby has a poor WiFi connection and the LED is blinking purple; what do I do? 

-JamesC

Das1227
Initiate
Initiate
Ever since i downloaded the new app my videos dont load or take a long time to load!
JAumiller
Star
Star

I continue to be plagued by geofencing issues. It works perfectly fine for my iPhone 8 Plus but my wife’s iPhone XR is listed as unavailable under the geofence settings at all times. I’ve tried removing everything and adding it all back (with her as the primary account and with me being the primary account) under both situations she is always listed as unavailable. Her settings for location are set to “always” and it clearly sees where she is on the map. Geofencing is essentially useless as it won’t disarm/arm for her phone at all.

--

@JAumiller  There are a few things that could be contributing to the Geofencing issue you're experiencing. I encourage you to take a look at this article to see if the tips here improve the experience: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working? 

-JamesC

TreasureB
Apprentice
Apprentice

I agree, app seems much slower than before. By the time I get notifications or emails whatever generated it is gone 

Midnightshadow
Initiate
Initiate

I have downloaded the new app and find it just as bad as it was previously.  I understand why you had to create the new app but why didn't you update and improve it?  The download knocked all my equipment offline and I can only get it partially restored.  My biggest problem is that the system doesn't notify me until several minutes after an event which is too late.  Can you get us real time alerts???

bpasternack
Initiate
Initiate

I do not understand why I have to pay ARLO an extra fee if I have more than four cameras.  We bought several systems as we have three homes we wanted to use the cameras at and now I find that I have to pay extra for using the cameras at multiple homes.

codestaxx
Initiate
Initiate

When will you fix the android geofencing issue?

--

@codestaxx  What issue are you experiencing? Many Geofencing improvements have been made in recent updates, I encourage you to take a look at this article to see if the tips here improve the experience: Why isn't the Geofencing mode working? 

-JamesC

Tmac69
Aspirant
Aspirant

Is there any way you can make the images on push notifications larger, without having to use the subset view buttons?

bigwavedave1969
Aspirant
Aspirant

THE NEW APP WILL NOT CONECT TO MY CAMERA'S 

Rmaldon112
Aspirant
Aspirant
Shameless plug and ask for the ability turn off voice messaging on the doorbell. Let the doorbell just be a doorbell

#doorbellgate