Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

New Arlo 4 Pro Setup Not Finding Camera

Discussion stats
  • 4 Replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 In Conversation
peterweston
Follower
Follower

I am trying to setup a new 4 Pro

I have gone through multiple tries to setup the camera on two different wi-fi networks and the app will not find the camera event though the camera chimes to the QR code and the blue LED is blinking. I have reset the camera also multiple times with not any difference.

I do not know what else to try?

4 REPLIES 4
StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@peterweston wrote:

I am trying to setup a new 4 Pro

I have gone through multiple tries to setup the camera on two different wi-fi networks and the app will not find the camera event though the camera chimes to the QR code and the blue LED is blinking. I have reset the camera also multiple times with not any difference.

I do not know what else to try?

What router are you using?

One option is to try setting it up on a PC (browsing to my.arlo.com).

Check that your wifi network is set to WPA2 (AES).  If your router uses the same network name for both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz, then disable the 5 ghz radio during onboarding if you can (some routers won't let you).

Also, the default settings on guest networks can cause onboarding to fail (particularly network isolation - where clients on the network can't "see" each other).

Bocasb
Aspirant
Aspirant

I am having this same problem.  I've gone through the procedure about 15 times and keep getting a message (from the Arlo Camera setup app) "No cameras were found."  I have tried everything referenced in this short problem exchange and keep having the same bad result (no connection).  Here is my situation:  trying to connect my new Arlo Pro 4 camera to an extended wifi network with a unique name.  I have an ASUS RT-AX58U router with both 2.4 G and 5G bands (each with a separate unique name).  The router is set to WPA2 (AES), and (even though each band has a unique name) I even tried disabling the 5 G band.  I finally connected my AVD1001 doorbell camera to the 2.4 G network after about 8 tries.  Never figured out why it took so many attempts.  While trying to connect the new Pro 4 camera as a 2nd Arlo device, I "disarmed" the AVD1001 doorbell camera while trying everything that I could think of to get the Pro 4 connection to work.  I'm using a Linksys wifi extender with a unique 2.4 G band name and have entered that name in both the setup process for my Arlo iPhone app and my iPhone general setup.  

In this problem from 2022-04-24, I noticed that StephenB (who I respect from dealing with him on a different Arlo problem) suggested using the Arlo Desktop (via My.Arlo.com).  I tried that and got the same "No cameras were found" result.

I see the blue flashing light on the camera and have tried removing the battery and also using the reset button.  I hear the chime when I hold the QR code to the camera during setup.  But, the app launches into a long search for Arlo devices and finally appears to timeout with the "No cameras were found" error.

It seems to me that this should not be so hard.  What else can I try?  I would appreciate suggestions.  Thank you!

StephenB
Guru Guru
Guru

@Bocasb wrote:

It seems to me that this should not be so hard.  

I agree.

If the PC you used for onboarding is connected with WiFi, it might be good to connect it with ethernet and try again.  That of course assumes that the PC has ethernet (many laptops don't).

One thing you might try is disabling the AIprotection feature of the router (assuming you have that enabled).

I don't think you can onboard the cameras onto the ASUS guest network (though it doesn't sound like you are doing that).  It also has an advanced feature in the Professional menu ("set AP isolated") that would interfere with onboarding.

Bocasb
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi, StephenB!  You are a reliable person.  Thank you for responding to my problem.  I appreciate you doing that in the past also.  I delayed a bit in responding because Hurricane Ian came near us and we had lots of prep and post-hurricane actions.  We are OK.

Once again, you were correct in your assessment of this problem and proposed actions that worked right away.  

I first tried your "disable AIProtection in the router" suggestion and found that my router already had that disabled.  But, I was suspecting that something in the router settings might be a problem and was grateful for your pointer to a setting that was known to be a problem.  You were correct in assessing my comments to mean that I was not using the ASIS Guest Network.  But, I had installed a LinkSys Wifi Extender and was using that because my cameras are a good distance away from our main router.  

It was your "connect to Ethernet (for the onboarding step)" that solved this problem.  Thank you for that idea!!  I left the AVD1001 Pro 4 camera on the extended wifi network and connected my laptop (which was your other idea) to the router Ethernet port.  The onboarding process stopped hanging up and proceeded as it should.  I had even installed an Arlo solar panel and could see that was charging the new camera right away.

The "laptop connection to the Ethernet port for onboarding (after insuring that AIProtection was disabled in the ASUS router)" was the fix.  As soon as the camera was properly setup, I could then access all of the features via my cellphone from either the regular or extended wifi network.  Your idea of "bypassing the iPhone-wifi during onboarding" was excellent.  The Arlo people should mention that idea in their setup instructions (which I find to be woefully inadequate for both cameras and doorbells).  fyi:  I noted your comment about "many laptops not having an Ethernet port."  You were certainly right about that, and I am grateful that you mentioned that point (for others who might read this problem posting).  When I bought my Thinkpad laptop, I noticed that it had no Ethernet port.  So, as I ordered the laptop, I also ordered an Ethernet dongle from Lenovo.  I knew (from my long computer industry career) that I would need Ethernet access someday.  So, when you mentioned "using the Ethernet port, if I had one," I was ready and tried your idea right away.

Thank you again, StephenB!  You ended this particular frustation for me! 

(I have another problem that I will post separately.  The Arlo folks sure need to reassess their setup aids.)