Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Discussion stats
Tmicham
Initiate
Initiate

My arlo pro battery will not charge and the camera keeps disconnecting. It remains at 2-3 percent, even after charging for 5+ hours with the correct charger. I have removed the battery, turned off the camera, put the battery back in, and plugged the cord in, and nothing. It will temporarily blink blue, flash once orange, then stops blinking. Does not show the camera as charging in the app either. App/camera updated prior to posting this.

100 REPLIES 100
tamarastokes
Aspirant
Aspirant

here is the case number, unable to reach support  28663947. please have someone contact via email

Streak2
Master Master
Master

Maybe @JamesC can look into your case for you.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

tamarastokes,

I have updated your case information. An agent will reach out to you via email soon.

JamesC

BillJr
Initiate
Initiate

Went through first month and charged batter for 4 hours - solid blue light on camera - unplugged the charger from camera and message on my phone was still "battery needs charging." Also bought 2 spare batteries and a double charger. Charged both of those batteries until the charger light was green on both of those and those also give the same message when I put them in the camera - "batteries need charge. So out of 4 batteries, only one charged correctly.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

I doubt that this is a battery problem.

Try the same batteries in a different camera, also, try remove and resync the camera.

BillJr
Initiate
Initiate
It was the battery door when closed didn’t push the battery hard enough to reach contacts. Folded a small piece of paper and put it on the back of the battery and now the battery makes contact and all 3 batteries work and register as charged.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

There should be a clip at the bottom of the battery compartment that holds the battery in. Make sure it's clipped in since the battery door doesn't really seem to be used to push the battery onto the contacts.

dpansire
Aspirant
Aspirant
I just learned something. It is not just cable that must be used, but also the Netgear ‘head’ (or whatever you call the part that plugs into the wall). I tried a couple times to use a couple different heads from my iPhone charger with no luck. I thought the Arlo battery was a dud. Then I switched to the Netgear head, and it works fine. now.
jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

The issue is the need for a Qualcomm Quick Charge charger ("head"). A standard charger supplies only 5v while these cameras require 9v to charge the battery. 5v will only run the camera without charging.

USAF1954
Initiate
Initiate

I had the same problem.  What I ended up doing was folding a small piece of index card and putting it between the battery and the clip.  It seemed to tighten it up and battery shows 100 % charged now and camera works without plugging in.  Hope this helps.

Allen-Deckard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Mine comes up with a small orange exclamation mark saying that the charging system is incorrect.

It’s a standard USB plug in I used what came with the system then when it wouldn’t work I tried another micro usb had to shave down the edges to get it to go in but the second one has same error.

Streak2
Master Master
Master

If the replacement charger you are trying does not have the Qulacomm fast charge features then the camera will report that problem. 

Allen-Deckard
Aspirant
Aspirant

can it be charged on a computer usb?   I'm trying to narrow down what the non working part is

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Allen-Deckard wrote:

can it be charged on a computer usb?   I'm trying to narrow down what the non working part is

No. You need the Arlo charger. It's a qualcomm charger that does 9V to charge but 5V to run the camera when the battery is fully charged. Even my Samsung Fast Charger doesn't cut the mustard

Allen-Deckard
Aspirant
Aspirant

Thanks

migman_2001
Luminary
Luminary
I am just curious if anyone turns the camera off before charging. I always turn mine off via the app before charging. and then on after unpluging. I have never had an issue.

steve_t
Master Master
Master

migman_2001 wrote:
I am just curious if anyone turns the camera off before charging. I always turn mine off via the app before charging. and then on after unpluging. I have never had an issue.

Nope. I don't turn it off. Never an issue here either. It should charge and run in the exact same manner as if it was plugged in permanently

lenayres
Tutor
Tutor

My Arlo Pro camera doesn't show that it is charging, when plugged into the OEM charger/cable. After searching the forum, I determined that the battery wasn't making contact, and I could apply finger pressure to the battery to verify it. Another user had suggested inserting a piece of folded index card behind the battery to keep constant pressure on the battery, when the battery door is closed. I tried that, and it worked. Should I return the camera for a warranty replacement, or is this Arlo's approved resolution of this known issue?

steve_t
Master Master
Master

lenayres wrote:

My Arlo Pro camera doesn't show that it is charging, when plugged into the OEM charger/cable. After searching the forum, I determined that the battery wasn't making contact, and I could apply finger pressure to the battery to verify it. Another user had suggested inserting a piece of folded index card behind the battery to keep constant pressure on the battery, when the battery door is closed. I tried that, and it worked. Should I return the camera for a warranty replacement, or is this Arlo's approved resolution of this known issue?

Get it replaced

bav29
Aspirant
Aspirant

My new Arlo PRO camera batteries have just died after a pretty impressive 6 week's and my charger also didn't work with either of the camera's.

Both Camera's DO however charge with a Samsung fast charger but weirdly not with the Arlo supplied USB cable - a standard USB cable did the trick. (I currently have two camera's charging with 2 different Samsung fast chargers and standard USB cable's)

My advice, bin the supplied charger and cable...

Allen-Deckard
Aspirant
Aspirant
Like to thank everyone it was indeed the wall charger everything is working fine now crazy stuff I was using a high rate charger in fact tried 3 of them no dice till I finally found the one that came with the cameras fixed it all. Again thanks
vickidrogers
Tutor
Tutor

Thank you - this fixed 3 batteries for me.  

steve_t
Master Master
Master

Allen-Deckard wrote:
Like to thank everyone it was indeed the wall charger everything is working fine now crazy stuff I was using a high rate charger in fact tried 3 of them no dice till I finally found the one that came with the cameras fixed it all. Again thanks

Great you're all up and running again. It's always best practise to use the OEM one included with your cameras. Hopefully smooth sailing from here

jepitale
Aspirant
Aspirant

I have 10 cameras.  6 Pro and 4 Q.  I have plenty of cords and outlet adapters.  NONE OF THE PRO BATTERIES WILL CHARGE AFTER DAYS AND ABOUT A MILLION "BATTERY OUT--REINSERT" WHILE PLUGGED IN WITH A CORD.  THIS IS BC THE BATTERY TECHNOLOGY IS TOO TEMPERMENTAL.

GET A FIX NETGEARTOO MANY COMMUNITY THREADS.!!  FOR REFERENCE:

1. MY CORDS AND ADAPTERS ARE NETGEAR/ARLO AND WORK FINE POWERING THE PRO WITHOUT A BATTERY

2. MULTIPLE RESETS OF THE BATTERY "MAY" FINALLY GET A LIGHTNING BOLT ON THE DESKTOP APP BUT NEVER THE PHONE APP--AND THEN IT EVENTUALLY GOES TO "the chargeing source conencted to the camera cannot charge your battery..."

3. I DO NOT NEED TO KEEP BUYING BATTERIES

4. I ALREADY BOUGHT NEST FOR MY SECOND HOME AND RECOMMENDED IT TO MY FRIEND FOLLOWING MY LEAD.

jguerdat
Guru Guru
Guru

AND YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVEN'T AVAILED YOURSELF OF THE RESOURCES TO FIX THE PROBLEM BUT INSTEAD CHOSE TO WHINE ABOUT YOUR INABILITIES.

We'd be happy to help if you would just tell us what you've tried as well as whether you've opened a case with support for possible faulty hardware.