Arlo|Smart Home Security|Wireless HD Security Cameras
× Arlo End of Life Policy Notice
To view Arlo’s new End of Life Policy, click here.

Multiple Audible Notifications for Single Event

Discussion stats
  • 18 Replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 8 In Conversation
Ronny2
Follower
Follower

18 REPLIES 18
TomMac
Guru Guru
Guru

Uninstall and reinstall the app....

--------------------------------------
Morse is faster than texting!
--------------------------------------
JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ronny2,

Is this a request or is this something you are experiencing? Could you provide more details on this topic?

JamesC

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

James:

I have that problem also. See my post https://community.netgear.com/t5/Arlo-Pro/bd-p/en-arlo-pro

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Not a solution to multiple audible notifications for single event. Only happening on my S8+ running Oreo, not on wife's iOS device. Everything else is solid.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

JoeCymru,

I was able to review your support ticket on this issue. I will escalate for further investigation.

JamesC

maltstan
Tutor
Tutor
I have five Arlos and two Arlo Pros on two separate base stations. I was getting double notifications for each event on my Galaxy S8, so I uninstalled and reinstalled the app...now I'm getting three notifications for each event.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Uninstall and reinstall again and you can have four. The number seems limitless and is only bound by one's own desire to continue the uninstall / reinstall process. I gleefully got my S8+ up to thirteen to prove a point to myself.

• Clear the cache and data from the app Setting>apps>arlo>storage
  • Uninstall the app (on your phone not at PlayStore)
  • Go to Settings>cloud and accounts>back up and restore
  • Turn off automatic restore under Google
  • Back up your data to your Samsung account
  • Restore your data from your Samsung account (back up and restore only takes a few minutes)
  • Power cycle your phone for good measure (off / on, not restart)
  • Go to PlayStore and download Arlo app

Hopefully you are back to one, not up to four. If it does not work, go through the above procedure again but make sure that Google back up is also done when Arlo is gone from your device.

JPC
Prodigy
Prodigy

Just wondering if creating a whole new account for Arlo would help.. Prolly' a PIA but just an idea.. But before doing so make sure you clear all related cache and delete App.. Not sure if simply deleting the App would auto clear the cache.. I don't have a device to test it... 

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Unnecessary and potentially could complicate other things to create new account. That would not help at all. The issue seems to be with the Arlo app and Oreo update. Google did some notification enhancements going to Android 8.X.X that Arlo is not totally compatible with. I have only found one other instance of this problem, that being Microsoft Outlook for Android. On the MS boards there were complaints and MS fixed it. Arlo has not ... as of yet. The 2.5.2 app release on June 4 still has the bug. I tested it. Then got rid of it as I outlined above. It has nothing to do with accounts or the Arlo firmware. It started as Oreo began rolling out. It is a problem with the Arlo app and the device OS. The 2.5.2 app update fixed a few other minor things, but is still buggy. People may also have some issue with geofencing when their carriers update their OS to a version of 8.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

The engineering team is currently investigating this issue. I will provide an update when I have more information.

JamesC

Alphaphase
Initiate
Initiate
Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding (endless) all day long. One alert causing 5 or more notification sounds on my galaxy s8. If there is a bird that is around, my phone will enter a seemingly endless push notifications sound loop. It's so bad, I am past the point of disarming the system for my own sanity. I have spent $1000 on this system and as of today, all 4 cameras sit in my living room disarmed. I have tried EVERYTHING. I have factory reset my phone causing me to loose alot of data that was saved on my phone that I will never get back. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the arlo app countless times. I have tried the supposed "fix" of turning my cloud saving options off, as per instructions I had found on this forum. It did not work and I tried it countless times. Notifications delay is hit or miss. Sometimes they are on time, sometimes 10, 20, 30 minutes late. I was almost mauled by a bear the other night because I went outside to do something. Well, there was a bear in my yard. A big bear. There was a motion alert on 2 locations that I did not receive for 10 minutes. Pretty fun stuff! What is the point of getting notifications late? Even 5 minutes late, an intruder could break in your house, tie you up, steak your stuff and be gone. Or worse. Then after that happens, you finally get an alert on your phone about a motion detection? Or When the security app is so annoying you have to disable it? What is going on with this? It worked PREFECT until the last update. Now it's worthless! I've spent hours on support chat only to have the chat close out. I've done everything humanly possible to fix these issues to no avail. I hope someone's home doesn't get invaded and someone gets seriously injured or worse because the arlo pro 2 device app is not working properly. This is not hardware related. The cameras are great. This is fully software related causing severe problems for customers. This needs to be fixed like MONTHS AGO.. I will figure out a way to make this issue go viral by any means neccecary if it is not fixed. This is dangerous for arlo customers.
Alphaphase
Initiate
Initiate
I have fixed the problem on my phone, sort of. In the arlo app settings, I have turned OFF the notification sound and set notification sound to "none". Ironically, I still get a notification sound for each alert, but it is back to 1 sound per motion alert. Works for me for now.
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Read versions of fixes upthread. Without one of the offered procedures, each time you uninstall and reinstall the app in Android, you will add a "ding" or whatever notification sound you use. This is a known issue and there are multiple threads created on it, but the work arounds involve you settings under Cloud and Accounts>backup and restore> Google.

JamesC
Community Manager
Community Manager

This issue is still under investigation by the engineering team. I will provide an update as soon as I know more.

JamesC

johmat
Aspirant
Aspirant
I have a one plus one running marshmallow and began receiving double notifications a few days ago. It's already driving me crazy. This issue has been open since March. How can it possibly take so long to fix?
JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

There is a difference between getting multiple audible notifications from a single event and the new update which gives individual icons for each event rather than only one updated icon (and notification read out) as was in the past. I believe this started on the 8th. If you have multiple audible notifications, solutions are up thread. If you are getting multiple individual icons and read outs for each event that is a new thing (though not a necessarily smart move on the developers part for those owners who have very active cameras). I believe the latter was introduced to help with smart thumbnails in the notifivations for those who subscribe. That's a guess.

johmat
Aspirant
Aspirant

In response to JoeCymru, I am getting multiple notifications from each single event (two at the moment). I've tried the up-thread solution from Alphaphase to turn off notification sound and setting the sound to 'none'. This silences the notifications, but they're still coming in in droves and I have to dismiss them all. I'm not going to reinstall the app because it seems that will lead to even more notifications, and I'm certainly not going to wipe my phone. These are not solutions. There are a number of other community threads complaining about the same issue. Can't we get a REAL fix that doesn't involve deleting Google backups, wiping the phone, reintalling the app, etc.?

JoeCymru
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I have stopped the multiple audibles twice. The Android app is still buggy, evn after the recent update. 

Alternate 1:

1. Delete the app from your phone, on your phone. Do not delete it using the PlayStore.
  2. Settings> Cloud and accounts>Backup and Restore
  3. Turn off Back up my data under Google
  4. Turn off Automatic restore under Google
  5. Power cycle your phone to insure you clear cache (turn off and on, rather than restart)
  6. In my case,(s8+, Oreo) to make sure, under Backup and restore, I also back up my data and restore it using my Samsung account with Arlo gone (only takes a few minutes and nothing is lost).

Go to Playstore and load Arlo.

Alternate 2:

All above but: Put a few hours in between the above and reloading, toinsure that Google auto updates have run with Arlo gone. This may not be necessary, depending on the last time it ran.

I agree that the issue needs permanent fixing. Without a process each uninstall and reinstall will give you an additional notification which will drive one insane if they have done multiple uninstalls trying to fix it.